OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

WELCOME to
ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO
HISTORY & GENEALOGY


 


BIOGRAPHIES

Source:  
A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio
Vol. II

by Wm. Rusler - Publ.
1921

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1921 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to RETURN to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

 
  IRVIN HAYES MASON.  Upon every man devolves duties and responsibilities in proportion to his several abilities, and Irvin Hayes Mason has sought to discharge his obligations and make for himself a place of usefulness as a teacher and farmer.  For a number of years he was connected with the educational system of Allen County and latterly has been engaged with equal success in the business of farming in Bath Township.  the Mason home is on rural route No. 2 out of Lima, and is one of the busy scenes of industry in the agricultural district.
     Mr. Mason was born in Bath Township June 30, 1876, and is of English and Irish stock, a son of Zalmon Root and Maria (Angus) Mason.  He comes by agriculture somewhat as a family vocation, since there has been an unbroken connection between the Mason family and the basic art of tilling the soil in America for nearly three centuries.  His first American ancestor was Sampson Mason who came from England in 1638 and settled in Connecticut.  His grandfather, Jarvis Mason, was an Ohio pioneer, coming to the State a century ago, and was an early settler in Bath Township of Allen County, where he acquired a tract of Government land containing eight acres.  He developed that into a farm, reared his family there and died.  His wife lived to the age of ninety-six, and they were the parents of thirteen children.  Zalmon R. Mason lived all his life in Allen County, and died in 1914.  Irvin Hayes Mason is the youngest of five children, four sons and one daughter, and he was only a year and a half old when his mother died in 1878.
     He grew up on his father's farm, attended the Blue Lick school in Bath Township until the age of eighteen, but his schooling consisted largely of a few months each year.  He made the best of his advantages, qualified as a teacher, and for eleven years was in charge of some of the country schools of his native township and also spent three years as a teacher in German Township.
     On Mar. 24, 1900, Mr. Mason married Lydia Margaret Slusser, daughter of Harvey and Catherine (Morris) Slusser, of Putnam County.  They have a family of five children: Vera Katherine, Russell J., Aline M., Blanche and Edith.  The only son, Russell, was born on the 30th of November, 1904.  Mr. Mason finally gave up his work as a teacher in 1911, and thenceforth applied his efforts seriously to farming.  While teaching he had bought sixty acres, and he has since enlarged his fine property to eighty-five acres.  He is a member of the United Brethren Church and is a republican in politics.  Mr. Mason for twelve consecutive years has served as town clerk of Bath township.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 196

Mr. and Mrs.
Paul Mayer
PAUL S. MAYER.  A number of the enterprising and solid men of Allen County have found it profitable to invest their earnings in farm land so that when they would have a nice property which would yield them a comfortable income.  Paul S. Mayer of Shawnee Township did this while he was working at his trade of a carpenter, and a few years ago retired from carpentering to devote all of his time to his farm, which now comprises seventy-seven acres of valuable land.
     Paul S. Mayer was born in Delaware County, Ohio, Mar. 1, 1860, a son of John Mayer came to the United States in young manhood and located at Columbus, where he was married.  Subsequently he and his wife moved to Delaware County, Ohio, and in the fall of 1860 moved to Allen County, buying a farm in Shawnee Township.
     Only a baby when his parents moved to Shawnee Township, Paul S. Mayer was reared here, attended the common schools and learned the carpenter trade, at which he worked until recently.  In 1883 he went to eastern Iowa, and there was married in November of that year to Elizabeth Hoffman, born near Galion, Ohio, a daughter of Michael and Barbara (Hopp) Hoffman.  Following his marriage Mr. Mayer returned to Allen County and bought thirty-seven acres of land in Shawnee Township, on which he settled.  He has added to his farm until he now has seventy-seven acres, all under cultivation with the exception of ten acres which he keeps in timber and pasture.  He does general farming, managing all of the operations, but having others to do the actual work.
     Mr. and Mrs. Mayer became the parents of the following children: Etta Esther, who is at home; Frederick T., who is also at home; William D., who lives in Shawnee Township, married Mary Loyer; Wilma E., who is connected with the Metropolitan Insurance Company, lives at home; and Wilbur V., who is the youngest.  Mr. Mayer is a consistent member of the Lutheran Church.  In his political affiliations he is independent, not caring to bind himself down to any one party, but casting his vote for the best man.  For one term he served his township very capably as assessor.  A man of progressive spirit, he is in favor of good schools, improved roads and other local signs of advancement, but he does not approve of a waste of the taxpayers' money in sensational methods.  Having worked hard all his life, he is entitled to his present prosperity and the respect and good will of his fellow citizens, which he now enjoys.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 174
  ELMER McCLAIN, Lima lawyer, who is this biographical sketch represents the McClain family of Allen County, is of Scotch-Irish, Swiss and Dutch ancestry.  The original Highland Scottish Clan of Macguillean ("Sons of Saint John"), inhabited the Isle of Mull, the founder being "Robert of the Battle Axe," who lived about 1250 A. D.  The warriors of this clan were strong partisans of Robert Bruce and the Stuarts during the long conflicts between Scotland and England. 
     Mr. McClain's grandparents were all pioneers of Allen County.  During the summer of 1828 James McDonel came northward through Ohio looking for a promising place to settle with his family and stopped at the town of Piqua which was then the seat of the United States District Land Office.  There, so runs family tradition, the pioneer gained the friendship of a Shawnee Indian chief who volunteered to show him a desirable location and conducted him to a tract lying northwest of what is now the intersection of Market and McDonel streets in Lima and advised him to enter it.  Nancy Ann McDonel, Mr. McClain's paternal grandmother, was born there.  The well, mentioned elsewhere in the general history of the county, which James McDonel dug in his dooryard is conceded to be the oldest well in the community.  It still furnishes an abundance of cool water and will always be a landmark in the city.  It is lined with boulders and has never been repaired.  This well is about fifty feet west of McDonel Street, on the north side of Market Street.  David McClain, Elmer M. McClain's grandfather, was reared on a farm just beyond the present northern limits of Lima.  This farm was entered by David's father, James McClain, in 1834.  David's grandfather, Robert McClain, was an immigrant from Ireland.
     Elmer McClain's maternal great-grandfather, John Casper Zurmehly, of the Swiss landed gentry, married a peasant girl, Susana Schafner, and was disinherited for it.  The couple emigrated from Schinznach, Province of Argau, Switzerland, following the Napoleonic wars.  After a voyage of three months they landed at Philadelphia and bound themselves out for three years and six months to pay for their passage money, amounting to $117.10.  When they had served three years their master, William Thompson, of Thompsontown, Pennsylvania, gave them their freedom and the use of a cow during the winter for their faithful service.  The son of these immigrants, Samuel Zurmehly, married Catherine Book and settled upon the farm in Shawnee Township which is now the site of the Garford factory; the Lima Foundry and Machine Company; the Adgate Pump Station and the Union Tank Carfactory.
     Elmer McClain, the subject of this sketch, is the son of Lonzo McClain and Ida Belle Zurmehly McClain, and was born in Shawnee Township, Allen County, Ohio, Oct. 26, 1883.  He has two brothers, Howard and Harry who with their father are well known breeders and importers of pure bred live stock.  He attended country schools, the Lima High School, the Ohio Northern University, Adelbert College, Oberlin College and graduated from the University of Chicago in 1909.  While pursuing studies in the above named institutions he was, as his finances demanded, farm laborer, carpenter, janitor, solicitor and teacher.  During the four years of college work preceding graduation from the University of Chicago he remained at home one year in the absence of a brother at college and was for two years principal of a high school in Indiana which was commissioned by the state as a first class high school upon his scholarship.  He completed his law studies and was admitted to the bar of Ohio in 1912, being an honor man and was made a member of the Order of Coif, an honorary law fraternity, by the Western Reserve Law School, where he was assistant librarian.  Since 1912 he has practiced law in Lima with the exception of nearly two years of military service in the great war, in which he volunteered for training in May, 1917.  He served in the Army Transport Service as first lieutenant and was transport quartermaster on two freight ships, the Wabash and the Coronado, plying between the United States and France.  In 1908 he married Miss Rebecca Lonsford, who wa the daughter of Mrs. Myrtle Elizabeth Harrod.  Her father, Reuben Lonsford, died when she was four years old.  She was the victim of the epidemic of influenza in December, 1918, at Passaic, New Jersey, while her husband was on duty with his ship in France.  One son, Robert, was born in 1911.
     Elmer McClain was one of the founders of the progressive party in Ohio.  He managed the campaign in northwestern Ohio for the adoption of the Progressive 1912 State Constitution of Ohio.  He was director of public service of Lima during 1920 and 1921, until the commission form of city government went into the commission form of city government went into effect, during which time he was the despair of old guard politicians, long favored public utilities and business and politically controlled newspapers.  He married Miss Mildred Jacobs, the daughter of S. R. and Cora L. Jacobs, in 1920.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 336
  ISAAC McCLAIN.  Allen County presented an almost unbroken picture of the typical wilderness when the McClains arrived in the early '30s after a tedious overland journey through the woods from Fairfield County.  Not long after the family settled here Isaac McClain was born, and this venerable citizen of Perry Township is today one of the oldest living native born sons of Allen County.  His own life has been one of the productive energy and good citizenship. 
     Mr. McClain was born at the original family seat in Bath Township Dec. 19, 1836, eighty-four years ago.  His parents were Andrew and Nancy (Reese) McClain, both natives of Fairfield County, Ohio.  When they came to Allen County they settled in the north part of Lima as it is today, but at such an early date that  they were able to enter land direct from the Government.  It was on this land that Isaac was born, being next to the youngest in a large family of nine children.  He was only five years of age when his father died in 1841, but the widowed mother lived many years.
     Isaac McClain had such advantages as a pioneer district schools were able to offer, and circumstances were such that he had to exercise his independent spirit to earn a living when quite young.  The year before  his marriage he moved to the home of his brother-in-law, James I. McDonald, in Perry Township, and has lived in that township for considerably more than half a century.  After his marriage he lived for a time on his mother's old place and then settled on forty acres in Perry Township, given him and his wife by her parents.  He also bought forty acres more, and at once undertook the difficult labor of making a farm.  The land was timbered and he had to clear the site on which he erected his first log cabin home.  This log cabin served as a habitation for several years, and in the meantime his work of improving and clearing continued.  Later from timber cut on the farm and converted into lumber at a nearby sawmill he erected a substantial frame house.  The next step of progress was the addition of eighty acres more of cleared land, giving him a tract of 160 acres in one body.  However, three acres of the land were taken as right-of-way for the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Railway.  With the responsibilities of active farming Mr. McClain continued to be occupied until 1910, when with his son Roscoe F. he entered a formal partnership, and this son has since been active manager of the home place.  This Perry Township farm is known as the Riverdale Farm, and from its many fine horses, cattle, hogs and Shropshire sheep have gone to market.
     Jan. 10, 1864, Mr. McClain, married Mary Crumrine, who was born in Perry Township Sept. 20, 1841.  Crumrine is an old and prominent name in western Pennsylvania, and her parents, Martin and Catherine (Proshus) Crumrine, came out of that state and established themselves as pioneers in Perry Township.  Mr. and Mrs. McClain became the parents of nine children:  Lucinda A., widow of Ulysses Apple of Perry Township; WIlliam Leonard of Lima; Charles E., whose home is in California; Henry E., of Goodfield, Nevada; Florence M., Mrs. Philip Ulrey of Perry Township; J. T. at home; George W. of Bath Township; Minnie, Mrs. Fred Bradley of Lima; and Roscoe F., who is the seventh in age among the children.
     Mr. Isaac McClain is a republican in politics.  While always a very busy man, he has considered it a duty to act in public capacity when his services were required and he served as township land assessor and township treasurer.  He helped build the Methodist Church in his community, and has ever since been one of its trustees.
Source: A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 178
  ERNEST E. McELWAIN, Lima lawyer, who in this biographical sketch represents the McClain family of Allen County, is of Scotch-Irish, Swiss and Dutch ancestry.  The original Highland Scottish Clan of Macguillean ("Sons of Saint John"), inhabited the Isle of Mull, the founder being "Robert of the Battle Axe," who lived about 1250 A. D.  The warriors of this clan were strong partisans of Robert Bruce and the Stuarts during the long conflicts between Scotland and England.
     Mr. McClain's grandparents were all pioneers of Allen County.  During the summer of 1828 James McDonel came northward through Ohio looking for a promising place to settle with his family and stopped at the town of Piqua which was then the seat of the United States District Land Office.  There, so runs family tradition, the pioneer gained the friendship of a Shawnee Indian chief who volunteered to show him a desirable location and conducted him to a tract lying northwest of what is now the intersection Market and McDonel streets in Lima and advised him to enter it.   Nancy Ann McDonel, Mr. McClain's paternal grandmother, was born there.  The well, mentioned elsewhere in the general history of the county, which James McDonel dug in his dooryard is conceded to be the oldest well in the community.  It still furnishes an abundance of cool water and will always be a landmark in the city.  It is lined with boulders and has never been repaired.  This well is about fifty feet west of McDonel Street, on the north side of Market Street.  David McClain, Elmer M. McClain's grandfather, was reared on a farm just beyond the present northern limits of Lima.  This farm was entered by David's father, James McClain, in 1834.  David's grandfather, Robert McClain, was an immigrant from Ireland.
     Elmer McClain's maternal great-grandfather, John Casper Zurmehly, of the Swiss landed gentry, married a peasant girl, Susana Schafner, and was disinherited for it.  The couple emigrated from Schinznach, Province of Argau, Switzerland, following the Napoleonic wars.  After a voyage of three months they landed at Philadelphia and bound themselves out for three years and six months to pay for their passage money, amounting to $117.10.  When they had served three years their master, William Thompson, of Thompsontown, Pennsylvania, gave them their freedom and the use of a cow during the winter for their faithful service.  The son of these immigrants, Samuel Zurmehly, married Catherine Book and settled upon the farm in Shawnee Township which is now the site of the Garford factory; the Lima Foundry and Machine Company; the Adgate Pump Station and the Union Tank Car factory.
     Elmer McClain, the subject of this sketch, si the son of Lonzo McClain and Ida Belle Zurmehly McClain, and was born in Shawnee Township, Allen County, Ohio, Oct. 26, 1883.  He has two brothers, Howard and Harry who with their father are well known breeders and importers of pure bred live stock.  He attended country schools, the Lima High School, the Ohio Northern University, Adelbert College, Oberlin College and graduated from the University of Chicago in 1909.  While pursuing studies in the above named institutions he was, as his finances demanded, farm laborer, carpenter, janitor, solicitor and teacher.  During the four years of college work preceding graduation from the University of Chicago he remained at hone one year in the absence of a brother at college and was for two years principal of a high school in Indiana which was commissioned by the state as a first class high school upon his scholarship.  He completed his law studies and was admitted to the bar of Ohio in 1912, being an honor man and was made a member of the Order of the Coif, an honorary law fraternity, by the Western Reserve Law School, where he was assistant librarian.  Since 1912 he has practiced law in Lima with the exception of nearly two years of military service in the great war, in which he volunteered for training in May, 1917.  He served in the Army Transport Service as first lieutenant and was transport quartermaster on two freight ships, the Wabash and the Colorado, plying between the United States and France.  In 1908 he married Miss Rebecca Lonsford, who was the daughter of Mrs. Myrtle Elizabeth Harrod.  Her father, Reuben Lonsford, died when she was four years old.  She was a victim of the epidemic of influenza in December, 1918, at Passaic, New Jersey, while her husband was on duty with his ship in France.  One son, Robert, was born in 1911.
     Elmer McClain was one of the founders of the progressive party in Ohio.  He managed the campaign in northwestern Ohio for the adoption of the Progressive 1912 State Constitution of Ohio.  He was director of public service of Lima during 1920 and 1921, until the commission form of city government went into effect, during which time he was the despair of old guard politicians, long favored public utilities and business and politically controlled newspapers.  He married Miss Mildred Jacobs, the daughter of S. R. and Cora L. Jacobs, in 1920.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 65
  JOHN EDWARD McPHERON is a machinist by trade, and is now senior partner of McPheron, Shaw & Hutchinson, proprietors of the Superior Vulcanizing & Tire Company at 129 West Spring street in Lima.
     Mr. McPheron is a native son of Allen county, born in Bath township, a son of I. B. and Della (Burden) McPheron.  He grew up on a farm acquired a country school education, and for a short time worked as a farm hand.  He then came to Lima and served an apprenticeship of four years at the machinist's trade in the Lima Locomotive Works, after which he was a journeyman five years in Cleveland, Akron and Toledo.  During the war and until November, 1919, he was a machinist at Newport, Rhode Island, at the Torpedo Station.  Returning to Lima, he joined Carl B. Shaw and Robert Ross Hutchinson in establishing the present flourishing business of the Superior Vulcanizing & Tire Company.  This firm has the exclusive agency in Allen county for the Mason tires, and does a very large business in repairing.
     Mr. McPheron is an independent voter, and is affiliated with the Masonic Lodge in Rhode Island and with the Loyal Order of Moose at Akron.  He is a member of the Auto Trades Association.
Source: A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - by Wm. Rusler - Publ. 1921 - Page 92
  CLYDE LEROY MECHLING.  In the early settlement, later development and all the substantial interests of Perry Township perhaps no family has been longer identified and more usefully than the Mechlings
     As a family the Mechlings were of German origin and settled in the Province of Pennsylvania about 1728.  One of the ancestors of the present generation of Allen County was William Mechling, who in 1812 moved from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, to Perry County, Ohio.  He died in 1855 at the age of seventy-one.  In 1812 William Mechling had entered 1,162 acres in sections 18 and 13 in Perry Township, Allen County.  Thus it was ninety years ago that the Mechlings acquired primary interests in Allen County, and from that time until today the name has been an honored and respected one in that locality.  William Mechling divided his Allen County lands among his children.
     His son Joshua Mechling was born in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, in 1809, and was only three years of age when his parents moved to Perry County, Ohio.  On Mar. 27, 1834, he married Sophia Weimer who was born in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, Oct. 8, 1810.  In 1836, Joshua Mechling came to Allen County to occupy a portion of his father's estate in Perry Township, and he did a pioneer's part in developing the land and lived there until his death on Dec. 17, 1879.  His widow survived him until 1893.
     Eli Mechling, a son of Joshua, was born in Section 18 of Perry Township Oct. 1, 1836, and died June 10, 1916.  He was for many years an influential citizen of Allen County, served eight years as a director of the County Infirmary, was also township clerk and trustee, an active democrat, and was trustee and deacon of the Lutheran Church.  On Mar. 22, 1866, Eli Mechling married Sarah Ridenour, who was born in section 5 of Perry Township May 27, 1842 and died Dec. 6, 1915.  Eli Mechling and wife had two children: Lewis L. who was born Jan. 15, 1867, and died Feb. 26, 1884; and Milton A.
    
MILTON A. MECHLING was born on the home place in section 18 of Perry Township Sept. 1, 1982, and has always lived on the home place, having inherited the property after his father's death.  He was educated in the school of District No. 4.  Feb. 21, 1892, Milton Mechling married Ollie T. Hoskins, who was born in Union County, Ohio, at Magnetic Springs, a daughter of Culwell and Rebecca (Harrod) Hoskins, the former a native of Leesburg Township in Union County and the latter of Auglaize County, Ohio.  For ten years after his marriage Milton Mechling lived in a house on the old farm apart from the family residence, after which he and his father built a modern frame residence in which he lives today.  Milton Mechling served one term as county treasurer and as a prosperous farmer has always given a public spirited share to the common interests of the community.  He is a Lutheran and a democrat.
     Milton A. Mechling and wife had three children, Clyde L. being the oldest.  Eli H., the second, was born Oct. 22, 1898, and is still at home, as is the youngest, Helen Irene, born Oct. 19, 1901
     Clyde Leroy Mechling, who in recent years has assumed a responsible place in the Mechling farming interests in Perry Township, was born on the old homestead in section 18 July 27, 1894.  He was well educated in local schools and in December, 1915, married Florence Nesbitt, who was born in Springfield, Ohio, a daughter of Edward and Dorothy (Hoffman) NesbittMr. and Mrs. Clyde Mechling have one daughter, Marjory May, born July 2, 1918.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 187
  MILTON A. MECHLING - See Clyde Albert Mechling
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 188
  ALEXANDER MILLER is one of Allentown's able business men, though he started a few years ago on a very small scale as a rag and junk buyer.  He is now sole proprietor of the Lima Iron and Metal Company. 
     His story is one of inspiration and illustrative of the opportunities in America open to a young man of determined ambition.  A son of Benjamin and Lena (Blum) Miller, he was born in the Province of Minsk, Russia, Dec. 3, 1884, of Russian Jewish parentage.  He attended school to the age of thirteen and the following five years worked as an apprentice or journeyman in the carpenter's trade.  In the meantime he saw much and to some degree experienced the oppressive conditions under which his people lived in Russia, and the chief incentive to his labors was to earn money enough to come to the land of the free.  At the age of eighteen he landed at New York city with only seventy-five cents in money.  The next three years he spent at Newark, New Jersey, following his trade as a carpenter.
     In the meantime he had accumulated a modest capital and brought it to Lima in 1906, buying a horse and wagon and traveling out over the country buying junk, metals and rags in Allen county.  That was his work for five years.  He also developed a poultry commission business and at one time conducted a stock of clothing, but sold both these lines.  While at first he had only an office, he has developed the iron and metal business to an important jobbing, retail and wholesale business, and in order the more adequately to accommodate this business he erected a modern brick, three story fireproof building at South Union street.
     Mr. Miller is also a stockholder in the Merchants Building & Loan Company of Lima and the Gramm-Bernstein Moor Truck Company.  He is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, is a member of the Beth El Synagogue and in politics is independent.  In 1915 he married Miss Ida Blum, daughter of Harry and Anna Blum, of Lima, and they have one daughter, Sarah Frances.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 53
  AZARIAH D. MILLER.  In the legal fraternity of Allen county a name which is known and honored is that of Azariah D. Miller, of Lima, who has been connected long and prominently with matters of jurisprudence in the county, both as an able, thorough and industrious lawyer, and as a dignified, learned and eminently honorable member of the bench.
     Mr. Miller was born on a farm in Amanda township, Allen county, June 18, 1853, a son of Joseph and Minerva (Shock) Miller, the former a native of Ross county.  As a youth Azariah D. Miller divided his time between assisting his father and attending the district school, and when still a lad began teaching school, having taught and closed his first school term before he was sixteen years of age.  He then attended a school at Lebanon, Ohio, where he furthered his preparation for the educator's vocation, and Mar. 5, 1876, was united in marriage with Darthula Place, who was also born in Amanda township, a daughter of James and Susan (Culver) Place, of Delaware county, Ohio.  Following his marriage Mr. Miller continued to teach in the country districts for several years, and also engaged in farming on a small property which he owned.  In the meantime, however, he was constantly applying himselv to the study of law with the late Judge James Mackenzie and Judge Theo. D. RobbMr. Miller came to Lima and entered the Probate Judge's office as chief clerk under Judge Robb.  He was identified from the first with matters of the utmost legal importance, and in a number of cases showed such ability and thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of law that it was recognized that he was composed of judicial timber.  For six years he acted in the capacity of deputy probate judge of Allen county, and for two terms as probate judge, and during his long incumbency his decisions were agreed upon as being just and impartial and based upon the true principles of law and has the distinction of never having been reversed by the higher courts of the county and state.  At the present time Mr. Miller has an office in the Metropolitan  Building, where he receives his clients, among whom are to be found some of the leading interests of the city.  He is interested in civic affairs as a good citizen and gives his public-spirited support to every project that promises to benefit Lima, its institutions and the welfare of its people.
     Mr. and Mrs. Miller were the parents of the following children: Heber Herman, who died at the age of eleven months; Lehr E., treasurer of Allen county; Freda, the wife of Herbert Conrad, of Lima; Susan, the wife of Edgar V. Smith, of this city; James Joseph, also a resident of Lima; Adeline, the wife of Dalis Stiles, of Muskogee, Oklahoma; Mabel, the wife of Carl Leonard, of Houston, Texas; Walter L. and Theodore D., twins, who reside at Lima.  Mr. and Mrs. Miller are members of Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church.  His fraternal affiliations are with the Modern Woodmen of America and the A. I. U.  He is a Democrat in politics, has represented his party as a delegate in county, state and national conventions and was considered a leader in his party until he retired from politics.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 35
  BRICE C. MILLER.  When consideration is given to the substantial farmers of Auglaize Township, one deserving of special consideration is Brice C. Miller, a young an of great energy and business ability whose work stands in evidence at his home farm two miles southeast of Harrod.
     Mr. Miller was born in Monroe Township of Allen County Jan. 24, 1886, son of Jaseph H. and Alice Miller.  His parents were born in this county, in Sugar Creek Township, and the Millers have lived her from pioneer times.  The grandfather Miller in early days managed a farm and also operated a mill at West Cairo, and after his death the mill was taken over by two sons and continued in oeration for several years by them, after which they sold it.  Joseph H. Miller since his marriage has been a leading farmer, and his home is a mile and a quarter east of West Cairo.  He is a republican an he and his wife are members of the Dunkard Church.  They had four children:  Chloe, wife of J. A. Vore; Brice C.; Guy, a farmer in Monroe Township; and Paul, who also is a well known young farmer in Monroe Township.
     Brice C. Miller grew up on his father's place in Monroe Township and made good use of his advantages in the district schools.  His life was spent at home to the age of twenty-one.
     On Mar. 4, 1916, Mr. Miller married Gladys Truex, who was born in this state Dec. 21, 1894.  They have two children: Ivan, born Feb. 21, 1917, and Harold, born Sept. 19, 1918.  Mr. Miller also has a daughter, now fifteen years old, by a former marriage.
     Mr. Miller is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America.  Politically he votes and acts with the republican party.  He has served as a member of the Central Committee.  As a farmer he has 136 acres in Auglaize Township, and while not a specialty farmer, he has always kept good grades of livestock and most of his profits come from the sale of stock.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 330
SHARON WICK'S NOTE:
1910 Census Monroe Twp. So Pt., Allen Co., Ohio on Apr. 27 and 28, 1910:
Center Road - Visit No. 155  Family NO. 156
Miller, Joseph H. - Head - M W 53 M1 31 yrs. b. OH  Fath. b. VA  moth. b. VA
Miller, Alice J. - wife - F W 49 M1 31 yrs. b. VA  fath. b. VA  moth. b VA
Miller, Brice C. - son - M W 24 wd. b. OH  fath. b. OH  moth. b. VA
Miller, Paul J. - son - M W 14 S  b. OH  fath. b. OH  moth. b. OH
Miller, Grace - gr dau - F W 4 S. b. OH  fath. b. OH  moth. b. OH
-----
Source:  Year: 1910; Census Place: Monroe, Allen, Ohio; Roll: T624_1150; Page: 7A; Enumeration District: 0012; FHL microfilm: 1375163

ALSO NOTE:
Brice's wife's maiden name of Gladys Truex was listed on marriage of their son Joseph Howard Miller toto Della Rae Gallaway on Aug. 2, 1947 in Indiana.
Gladys Truex Miller passed away before 1910.  Joseph was married 3 times.

  CHARLES B. MILLER for a number of years has been an esteemed factor in the Spencerville community of Allen county, and in his profession as a funeral director and embalmer has developed a high class service and unsurpassed equipment in his line. 
     Mr. Miller was born at Kossuth, Ohio, Mar. 3, 1877, son of F. B. and Mary O. Miller.  He spent most of his youth in Spencerville, where he attended the public schools, and fitted himself for his profession in the Cincinnati College of Embalming.  Since early manhood his business experience has been as an undertaker or in the furniture business, and for several years past he has devoted his best energies to the ideal of furnishing an undertaking service second to none in Allen county.
     Mr. Miller has also served as township treasurer of Spencer township.  Fraternally he is affiliated with the Masonic order, is a member of the Subordinate Lodge and Encampment of Odd Fellows, and also belongs to the Elks.  July 2, 1896, at Spencerville, he married Mary E. Seibert, a daughter of Jacob Seibert.  Six children were born to their marriage: Corrine, Robert, Arthur, Ira, Dorothy and Marjorie, all living except Ira.  Corrine is a student at Ohio State University; Robert is a graduate of the Ohio State University in Electric and Ceramic Engineering; Arthur is a student at Eastman-Gaines College at Poughkeepsie, New York; and Dorothy and Marjorie are at home.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 137
  ELMER A. MILLER is serving his second term as county surveyor of Allen county, and his efficient administration ahs shown alike his technical ability and his unswerving civic loyalty.  As a native son of the county, and has a valued official he is well entitled to specific recognition in this publication.
     Elmer Amos Miller was born in Sugar Creek township, his county, Dec. 20, 1873, and is a son of Thomas Walter and Sarah (Kingsley) Miller the father having long been one of the representative farmers of that township, where he continued to reside until his death, in 1909, and where his widow still resides.  His grandfather was a native of Virginia and became an early settler in Allen county, Ohio, where he secured a tract of Government land at the time of the administration of President Andrew Jackson, and where he developed a productive pioneer farm of eighty acres in section 24, Sugar Creek township, his son Thomas W. eventually coming into possession of the old homestead, which is still retained by the family.
     Elmer A. Miller was reared on the old ancestral farmstead and gained his preliminary education in the district schools of his native township.  In 1903 he was graduated in the normal college at Lima with the degree of Bachelor of Pedagogy.  For seventeen years thereafter he was a successful and popular teacher in public schools, his service having been principally in Allen and Defiance counties and having included effective high-school work.  In 1916 he received from Defiance College the degree of Bachelor of Arts.  In August of the same year he was made the Democratic nominee for the office of surveyor of his native county, and the majority accorded him in the ensuing election attested alike his personal popularity and his hold upon the confidence and good will of the voters of the county.  In 1918 he was re-elected for a second term of two years, and this vouches for the estimate placed upon his administration.  Mr. Miller gives unqualified allegiance to the Democratic party, is affiliated with the Masonic Fraternity, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of the Maccabees.  He holds membership in the Christian Church.  Mr. Miller is the owner of a valuable farm property of 115 acres in his native county, and takes deep interest in all that concerns the civic and material prosperity and progress of the county.  In furtherance of his technical knowledge he completed a thorough course in civil engineering through the medium of the celebrated Inter-National Correspondence School at Scranton, Pennsylvania.  His name is still enrolled on the list of eligible bachelors in Allen county.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 112
  FRED F. MILLER.  The farming element is very strong in Allen County, for this is essentially an agricultural locality, both soil and climate contributing to its qualifications for the successful promotion of farming and stock raising interests.  Of the younger generation of agriculturists who have accepted the favorable conditions found her and have achieved success thereby, one whose accomplishments are worthy of mention is Fred F. Miller, whose well-improved  and highly cultivated property is located in section 25, Amanda Township, two miles west and two miles south of Elida, on rural route No. 2.
     Mr. Miller was born in Amanda Township, Feb. 2, 1890, a son of John H. and Clara E. (Sherrick) Miller, and a grandson of Fielding and Elizabeth (Strayer) Miller, natives of Fairfield County, where they were married, subsequently residents of Hancock County and finally pioneers of Allen County.  Upon the arrival of the grandparents, Fielding Miller entered land from the United States Government in Amanda Township, where he continued to carry on farming during the rest of his life.  He was the father of nine children:  Mary J., Sarah A., Samuel S., Nancy E., William, Wesley, John H., Lauretta and Alice Elizabeth.  Of these four are living.
     John H. Miller was born in Amanda Township, Allen County, where he received a common school education and was reared to the pursuits of farming.  He has passed his life in the vocation to which he was reared and through industry and good management has made a success of his career, being accounted one of the substantial men of his community.  He and his wife have had four children, of whom three are living:  Noah C., who married Callie Strayer and is farming in Amanda Township; Fred F., and Alice, who is unmarried and makes her home with her parents on the farm.
     Fred C. Miller is indebted to the district schools of Amanda Township and the Lima Business College for his educational training.  His first experience other than that gained on the home farm, was obtained through his employment in the oil fields, where he worked for two years, following which he took up farming as his life work.  At the present time he is the owner of a productive and modernly improved property of eighty acres, which he is cultivating in a way that makes it pay him well for his labors and is a stockholder in the Elida Equity Union Elevator and the Elida Telephone Company.  He is republican in his political affiliation and he and Mrs. Miller belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church of Zion.  In addition to general farming he  is engaged to some extent in stock raising, and in both directions is considered capable and well informed.
     On Nov. 25, 1911, Mr. Miller was united in marriage with Henrietta L. Cremeau, who was born in Allen County, a daughter of Stephen Cremeau of Amanda Township, and to this union there have come two children:  John C., born Oct. 8, 1913, and Dorothy E., born Jan. 3, 1917.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 247
  GAIL E. MILLER, M. D.  Associated in practice at Spencerville with the veteran physician and surgeon Dr. Welch, Dr. Miller served as a medical officer in France during the World war, going into the army about a year after he had begun practice at Spencerville and he returned to his duties in 1919 with the enlarged viewpoint of a soldier and the special training and experience of one who served in the hospitals and near the battle lines of the World war.
     Doctor Miller was born in Allen County near Elida Feb. 17, 1892.  His parents are Issachar and Mary (Baty) Miller, also natives of Allen County, and well known farmers near Elida.  They are very active members of the Lutheran Church there and the father is a democrat in politics.  there were four children: Grace, wife of John B. Badertscher of Bridgeport, Illinois; Roy W., a farmer near Elida; Darrell A., deceased; and Dr. Gail E.
     Doctor Miller
grew up on his father's farm and giving evidence of his studious inclinations he had all the opportunities for a liberal education.  After finishing in the district schools he graduated from the Elida High School, spent one year in Thiel College at Greenville, Pennsylvania, and took the full four year course in the Ohio State Medical College, graduating with the Doctor of Medicine degree.  He located at Spencerville in June, 1916, and on July 3, 1917, joined the Medical Corps of the Second Ohio Infantry.  He is given his camp training in Alabama, was commissioned a first lieutenant, and on June 28, 1918, sailed from Montreal, Canada.  In France after competitive examination he was promoted to the rank of captain.  He was in service close enough to the battle  lines to see the concluding phases of the great struggle, being assigned duty in the Marbache sector from October 11, to October 29, in the Meuse-Argonne from October 29, to November 8, and the three days before the signing of the armistic was in the Puvenelle sector.  He was continued on duty in France until Mar. 11, 1919, when he sailed for home, landing at Newport News March 24, was discharged at Camp Sherman, April 11th, and reached home April 12th, resuming his professional work the following month.
     Doctor Miller helped organize and is now commander of the Harry J. Reynolds Post No. 1919 of the American Legion at Spencerville.  Professionally he is a member of the County, State and American Medical associations, is affiliated with the Spencerville lodges of the Masons and Odd Fellows, is a democrat in politics and a member of the Lutheran Church.  Nov. 21, 1919, Doctor Miller married Miss Irene Bowers.  She is a graduate of the Lima High School, studied music at Cornell University and was a teacher before her marriage.  They have one child, Gail Gene, born Sept. 17, 1920.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 317
  GRANT MILLER.  It is in a large degree to the self-made men of Allen County that section of the Miami Valley owes its present prosperity; to those who, starting life entirely upon their own resources, have worked their way to the front, placing themselves by the sheer force of their energy and perseverance among the men of substance in their various communities.  A representative of this class in Amanda Township is Grant Miller, who is now the owner of a farm in section 27, seven miles northeast of Spencerville.
     Mr. Miller was born on a farm in Marion Township, Allen County, Aug. 29, 1868, a son of Jesse P. and Susan M. (Furry) Miller, the former born in Amanda Township in 1833, and the latter a native of Fairfield County, Ohio.  Mrs. Miller was still a child when brought by her parents to Allen County, and here grew to young womanhood and married Mr. Miller.  At that time they settled on a farm in Marion Township, where Mr. Miller continued to be engaged in agricultural operations until his death in January, 1881, following which his widow sold the farm and moved to Amanda Township.  Her home was continued in the rural districts until 1900, in which year she took up her residence at Lima.  During the active years of her career she was a helpful worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church of which both she and her husband were consistent members.  They were the parents of ten children, of whom the following are living:  Sherman, who resides at Lima, Elizabeth, the wife of George Herring; Grant; Viola, the wife of William Little of Amanda Township; Austin, of Lima; Josie, the wife of Lewis Cremean, of Lima; Clarence, of Spencerville; and Jesse, a worker in the oil fields and a resident of Lima.
     The boyhood of Grant Miller was passed on the home farm, where he divided his time between attendance at the district schools and assisting his father in the work of the home acres.  He remained with his parents until he reached the age of twenty-one years, at which time he faced the world on his own account, and established a household of his own by his marriage, in 1889, to Rosa B. Culver, who was born in Amanda Township in 1867, a daughter of Basil Culver.  Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Miller; Clarice, who is single and makes her home with her parents; Florence, the wife of James Sawmiller, a farmer of Amanda Township; and Velma, Homer and Lucile, who reside with their parents.
     Following their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Miller started farming in Amanda Township, where their combined efforts have served to bring them success.  They are now residing in a comfortable home on a well-cultivated farm which boasts of all the modern improvements and which produces large and remunerative crops.  Mr. Miller is a stockholder in the Peoples Bank at Delphos and has other interests.  He is a republican in politics, and has served as township clerk.  Mr. and Mrs. Miller are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, where he is a member of the Official Board, class leader and superintendent of the Sunday school.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 256
  J. A. MILLER is well known among the farmers of Allen county through his enterprise as a stock dealer at Spencerville.  He has bought and sold stock in the local markets many years, a business that his father also followed, and the Millers are an old and prominent family in Allen county agriculture.
     J. A. Miller was born in Amanda township Dec. 7, 1856, son of Henry and Elizabeth (Baber) Miller  His father was also a native of Allen county, while his mother was born in Virginia and was a small girl when her parents came to Allen county.  Henry Miller and wife were married by Rev. William Mooreman, and at once located on a farm in Amanda township.  While he bore the reputation of an industrious farmer, Henry Miller was best known as a stock dealer and carried on that business from early manhood until his death.  He was a good business man and accumulated a large estate, comprising at one time thirteen hundred acres.  He was a Democrat, served as township treasurer, and he and his wife were members of the Christian Church.  They moved to Delphos, lived there several years and then went to Spencerville, where the mother died.  The father afterward removed to Delphos and spent his last days there.  Of ten children six are still living:  Minerva J., wife of John T. Vandervert, of Frankfort, Indiana; J. A. Miller, of Buffalo, New York; Charity J., wife of Frank Schufeldt, of Kokomo, Indiana; and C. B. Miller, of Spencerville.  J. A. Miller's early education was supplied by the district schools of Amanda township.  While growing up on his father's farm there he also received a training under the elder Miller in buying and handling stock and that together with farming has given him abundance of opportunity to exercise his abilities and skill.
     Apr 6, 1877, Mr. Miller married Catherine E. Layman.  They are the parents of a family of seven children:  Mary E., wife of Lewis Young; Bessie B., wife of Griffith Thomas; Myrtle, unmarried; Icie D., wife of Carl Werner; Mabel, wife of Virgil Sheldon; William and Evaline.  Mr. Miller is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias Lodge, is a Democrat politically and was elected and served one term as a member of the Board of Commissioners of Allen county, making a creditable record in that office, as he has done in all other relations whether of a private business or a public nature.  He is now a member of the Town Council of Spencerville.
     Catherine E. Layman, his wife, was born in Marion township, Allen county, at the home of her parents, seven miles southeast of Delphos.  She is the daughter of John A. and Mary (Miller) Layman, her mother also a native of Allen county.  Her brothers and sisters were George, Joseph, Abram J., Mary A., Anna, Almina and William.  Mrs. Miller being the oldest of the family had little opportunity to get an education beyond the common schools.  She has been a very fine home maker and has given the very best years of her life to the training of her own children.Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 90
  LEHR ELLSWORTH MILLER has spent his entire life within the borders of Allen County, and his persistent and commendable efforts have benefitted alike himself and the community, for he has always had deeply at heart the well being and improvement of the county, using his influence whenever possible for the promotion of movements for the advancement of the community along material, moral and civic lines.  He is the scion of an excellent old pioneer family, and because of his fine record as a public official and his sterling qualities of character he has gained and retains the general esteem of the people of his county.
     Lehr Ellsworth Miller, the present efficient and popular treasurer of Allen County, was born on his father's farm in Amanda Township, this county, on Sept. 13, 1878, the son of Azariah D. and Darthula (Place) Miller, both of whom were also both and reared in Amanda Township.  He is descended from sterling old pioneer stock, as will be noted in the following lines.  His paternal ancestors were established in Virginia in an early day, and from that state in an early day came his great-grandfather, Ferdinand Miller,  who took a prominent and active part in the establishing of civilization in Allen County.  He was the first juryman ever drawn from Allen County, and the first Methodist Episcopal meeting ever held in the county was held in his house.  The paternal grandparents, Joseph and Manenia J. (Shock) Miller, were natives, respectively, of Ross County, Ohio, and Somerset, Pennsylvania, while his maternal grandparents, James and Susan (Culver) Place, were both born and reared in Ohio, the former in Belmont County and the latter in Delaware County.  Joseph Miller settled in 1827 in Amanda Township, near what is known as Fort Amanda, and nine years later, in 1836, James Place brought his family here and located at old Fort Amanda in Allen County.  All of these old pioneer settlers of Allen County took up land of their own and became farmers, thus assisting materially in the early development of the county.  After their marriage Azariah D. and Darthula Miller settled on a farm in Amanda Township, where they lived for many years.  In 1894 Mr. Miller was appointed deputy probate judge of Allen County, and in 1900 was elected judge of the Probate Court, and was elected to succeed himself, thus serving two terms, or six years.  On the expiration of  his official term he entered upon the practice of law, to which he is now devoting his attention.
     Lehr E. Miller received his educational training in the public schools, and remained at home until eighteen years of age, when he became a traveling salesman for the American Woolen Mills Company, with whom he remained until twenty-one years of age.  After his marriage, which occurred at about that time, he rented a forty-acre farm in Amanda Township, to the operation of which he devoted his energies, eventually increasing the acreage under his control until 1910, when he became manager of a stone quarry.  In the spring of 1913 Mr. Miller entered upon the business of contracting, specializing in bridge and cement work, but in the fall of 1914 he sold that business and became deputy sheriff of Allen County, under Sheriff Eley.  He held this position about sixteen months, resigning then because of his nomination to the office of county treasurer, to which he has chosen at the ensuing election.  In the fall of 1918 he was again elected to that office, of which he is the present incumbent.  Mr. Miller firmly believes in the axiom pronounced by a once prominent leader of his political party, to the effect that "Public office is a public trust," and he has so discharged his duties as to win the universal commendation of the voters of the county.  Promptness, accuracy and courtesy have characterized the work of his office, one of the most important in the county organization.  While living in Amanda Township, Mr. Miller had served living in Amanda Township, Mr. Miller had served two terms as township assessor, one term by appointment and one term by election.  He was also elected and served six years as director of the Allen County Agricultural Society.
     Politically Mr. Miller has always given his support to the democratic party, in the ranks of which he has been an active worker.  He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and, fraternally, is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Loyal Order of Moose.  During the World war he took an especially active part in all the war work in this county and assisted in the organization and successful completion of nine different drives.
     On Mar. 31, 1900, Mr. Miller wa married to Josie Q. Staup, who was born and reared in Amanda Township, the daughter of Lewis and Nancy (Bowers) Staup, the former of whom was born in Miami County, Ohio, and the latter in Amanda Township, this county.  They are the parents of one child, Lawrence Ellsworth, born on June 21, 1909. Mr. Miller possesses to a marked degree those sterling traits which have commanded uniform confidence and regard, and he merits the public recognition which he has received at the hands of his fellow citizens.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 236
  LEWIS A. MILLER.  Steadily through the years of his early and mature manhood Lewis A. Miller has seen his affairs prosper as a farmer, made his acres respond to his intelligent care, has laid the secure foundation of a good home, and has achieved the respect and confidence of all his neighbors and friends in Allen County.
     Mr. Miller, whose home is in section 3 of Amanda Township, was born Nov. 13, 1860, a son of Anderson and Eliza J. (Coon) Miller.  Both his father and mother were born in Allen County, the former near Allentown in American Township and the latter in Shawnee Township.  Anderson Miller died in 1866, when his son Lewis was only six years old.  The mother has survived to a good old age, and for her second husband married Samuel Miller.  The two children of her first husband are Lewis A. and Pleasant R., the latter deceased.  She had a son by her second marriage, Oris Miller of Amanda Township.
     Lewis A. Miller grew up on a farm in Amanda Township, and gained his education in the common schools.  He assisted his mother and stepfather on the farm until he was twenty-seven, and on Nov. 24, 1887, he established a home of his own by his marriage to Cora Umbaugh.  Mrs. Miller was born in Shawnee Township of Allen County Dec. 2, 1867, a daughter of Elias and Aanda (Berryhill) Umbaugh.  Her father was born in Carroll County, Ohio, in 1821.  Her mother, who was born in Fairfield County in 1832, is still living at the advanced age of eighty-eight.  Mrs. Miller is the only survivor of two daughters, Cora and Mary.
    
At the time of their marriage thirty-three years ago Mr. and Mrs. Miller moved to their present farm, where they have 100 acres, well cultivated and improved and devoted to the crops of this section.  Mr. Miller is also a stockholder in the Elida Elevator.  He is a republican voter, and he and his wife are active members of the Methodist Church near her home.
     They have two children.  Flavius M., the older was born Apr. 15, 1890, was well educated in the district schools and the Spencerville High School, and now lives at Lima.  He married Zelma BirdElias E., the younger son, was born June 4, 1893, and has completed his education and is assisting his father in the management of the farm.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 262
  NELSON H. MILLER.  It is the good fortune of Nelson H. Miller to own and occupy the homestead of his father, and he takes a pride in keeping the property in the family and intends to hand it down to his children.  This farm is located in Shawnee Township, and comprises of 100 acres of very valuable land.  Mr. Miller was born in Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, Oct. 27, 1857, a son of Henry H. and Margaret E. (Davis) Miller,  natives of Pennsylvania, who in the spring of 1859 came to Lima, Ohio, and secured rented land in Bath Township, which they farmed until they bought 100 acres, all woodland, in Shawnee Township.  He started to clear and improve the farm, but died in 1881, before he had completed the work.  His widow survived him until 1888.  They had the following children:  Clarissa, who is Mrs. Milo Hadsel; Sarah J., who is Mrs. Christ Hawk, of Findlay, Ohio; James, who is of Mercer County, Ohio; Ellen, who married Jacob Lewis, is deceased, as is her husband; John, who lives in Mercer County, Ohio; Ann, who is Mrs. Charles Chivington, of Michigan; and Nelson H., who was the youngest born.
     Growing up on the home place, Nelson H. Miller attended the district schools and learned to make himself useful at home.  When the family first located on the farm they lived in a log cabin, but he now has splendid buildings on the property, all of which were erected by him.  Following his father's death he bought out the interests of the other heirs to 100 acres of the homestead, and has cleared what land was then in timber, and has devoted himself to farming with the exception of a few years when he was engaged in carpenter work.
     In May, 1883, Mr. Miller was united in marriage with Minnie Hanes, born in Shawnee Township, a daughter of Isaac Milton and Elizabeth (McClintock) Hanes, natives of Shawnee Township, and granddaughter of John Hanes, one of the early settlers of this township.  Isaac Milton Hanes was a Union soldier in the Civil war and lost his life near the close of that great struggle.  Mr. and Mrs. Miller became the parents of the following children: Milton, who died at the age of thirty-three years; Zella, who is Mrs. Ross Bacome, of Lima, Ohio; Rollie, who lives at Victory, Montana; Mabel, who is Mrs. Lewis Heffner, of Lima; Earl and Firl, twins, both of whom live at Lima; James T., who also lives at Lima; and Vernie and Catherine, both of whom are at home.  In politics Mr. Miller is a democrat, but has not participated actively in public events.  He is a man who has attended to his own affairs, worked hard, and made a success of his undertakings, and deserves the respect he commands from his fellow citizens.  The family all stand very well in the several communities in which they are living, and Mr. and Mrs. Miller have every reason to be proud of their children, for they are a credit to their parents and their home community.
     Earl D. Miller, a son of Mr. Miller, is a veteran of the World war, having been in the army one year and three days.  His military record has an appropriate place in this connection.   He was a first class private in Company A, Seventeenth Infantry, Three Hundred and Fifty-Fifth Regiment, One  Hundred and Seventy-Eighth Brigade of the Eighty-Ninth Division, and participated in one battle and two counter attacks, being on the front line from September 26 to November 11, 1918.  He was summoned to the colors May 27, 1918, left Lima the following day for Camp Taylor, Kentucky, where he was attached to the One Hundred and Fifty-Ninth Depot Brigade for twenty-six days, and then transferred to Company M, One Hundred and Fifty-Fifth Regiment, Thirty-Ninth Division, and was in training at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana, until August 6th.  The division then started on its long journey to France, spending ten days en route at Camp Merritt, New Jersey.  Earl Miller embarked with other portions of his division August 22d at Hoboken, September 3d, landed at Brest, and during the subsequent drill he wa made a first lass private in the infantry.  He was one of the privates selected from the Thirty-Ninth Division and transferred to the Eighty-Ninth, joining his new command September 24th, and was assigned to Company A, Three Hundred and Fifty-Fifth Regiment and Seventeenth Infantry.  After the front line duty above noted the regiment returned to the Beney Xammes area, which they held until relieved October 8th and then followed an interesting and unforgettable experience in the removal from the Saint Mihiel area to the Argonne position.  October 12th the regiment moved out of Recicourt to take up a new position, and participated in the advance resulting in the capture of the towns of Beaufort, Lunenville and Luzy, and remained at the front until the signing of the armistice.  November 24th the regiment march into Belgium, and on the 1st of December began the advance across Luxemburg, five days later entering Germany.  Earl Miller was with his command at Saarburg and Beurig until May 7, 1919, and five days later arrived at Brest and on May 15th embarked on the Leviathan, which made New York Harbor May 22d.  From Camp Upton he returned to Camp Sherman and received his honorable discharge May 29th.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 280
  OTTO W. MILLER.  An example of enterprise and progressiveness is found in the commercial venture of Otto W. Miller, who conducts a grocery and gasoline filling station at McBeth's Park, in Shawnee township.  This business has been built up under Mr. Miller's personal management and its success reflects the industry, initiative and progressive spirit of the proprietor.
     Mr. Miller was born at Bluffton, Ohio, in October, 1875, a son of Daniel B. and Mary (Dell) Miller, the former a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, and the latter of Germany.  Daniel B. Miller is one of the substantial citizens of Lima, where he is engaged in extensive realty operations.  There were six children in the family: Otto W.; Clara, who is deceased; Harry and Charles, of Lima; Della, deceased; and Fred, of Lima.  Otto W. Miller attended the public schools of Bluffton, but has been a resident of Lima since 1890.  In 1888 he started working in a grocery store, and one year later was employed in a dry goods store, of which the proprietor was D. Bell.  After one year with Mr. Bell he entered the employ of the Solar Oil Refinery, and continued in the sales department of that concern until 1910, when he opened a laundry at Ottawa.  This he sold after five months and returned to Lima, where he entered the Gramm-Bernstein Motor Truck Company's office, remaining one year.  He next kept books for F. W. Drake for three years, and then purchased a store building at McBeth's Park, in Shawnee township, where he installed a stock of groceries and established a gasoline filling station.  He has built up an excellent patronage and is accounted one of the substantial business men of his community.  Mr. Miller is a Republican and has been confirmed in the Lutheran faith.  He belongs to the United Commercial Travelers and to Lima Lodge No. 54, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, in both of which he is very popular.
     Mr. Miller was married in September, 1897, to Flora Hanenstein, of Lima, daughter of John and Amelia (Amelung) Hanenstein, and they have three children:  Carolyn, a teacher in the public schools; and John and Daniel, twins, at home.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 58
  ARLOW V. MOYER.  One of the most enterprising of Lima's younger generation of business men is Arlow V. Moyer, junior member of the firm of Moyer Brothers, wholesale and retail dealers in meats.  He seems to have inherited many of the characteristics of his sterling ancestors, who were marked for their habits of industry, integrity and business ability, and he stands deservedly high among those who know him best and have had dealings with him.
     Arlow V. Moyer was born on his grandfather's farm in Auglaize county, Ohio, in 1890, and is the son of Isaac R. and Jennie (Runyon) Moyer.  He received his educational training in the public schools of Lima until thirteen years of age, going then to the Tileville School House in Allen county until seventeen years old.  His first employment was as a clerk in the Duffield Grocery Store, where he was employed about one year, after which for two years he was with Thomas Brentlinger as a clerk.  Then for a time he was with George Herret, and then spent another year with Mr. Herret.  His next engagement was as manager of the Pittsburgh Cash Grocery, but six months later he went to work for Ed McCauley as a clerk.  He then engaged in the grocery business on his own account at the corner of Jefferson and McKibben streets, in which he met with such splendid success that a year later he was compelled to move to larger quarters at No. 815 North Main street, where under the name of the Red Cross Grocery he continued in business for two years.  He then sold that business and entered into partnership with his brother F. C. Moyer, under the firm name of Moyer Brothers, wholesale and retail dealers in meat.  They kill their own animals, having three slaughter houses, and supply a large part of the local meat trade in Lima and surrounding towns.
     Moyer Brothers, A. V. and F. C. Moyer, are operating the Peoples Meat Market, 203 South Main street, and also hae a branch meat market at 815 North Main street at the present time, and are doing one of the best businesses in Lima.  Their motto is quality first and service always, thus making a great headway in the meat business.
     In 1914 Mr. Moyer was married to Bonnie Grace Young, the daughter of Alfred J. and Phoebe (Baker) Young, of Lima, and to them have been born three children, Holland Romance, four years of age; Merton Russell, aged three years, and Levara Jane, aged nine months.  Mr. and Mrs. Moyer are members of the United Brethren Church, while fraternally his is a member of the Loyal Order of Moose.  He gives his political support to the Republican party, and stands for everything calculated to advance the general welfare of the community.  He has succeeded in business because he has been honest in his dealings with the public, and he therefore has the confidence and good will of all who know him.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 122
  FRANK CLAUDE MOYER.  In all that constitutes true manhood and good citizenship Frank C. Moyer, well known business man of Lima, is a notable example and none stands higher than he in the confidence and esteem of the community.  His career has been characterized by duty faithfully performed, and by industry, thrift and wisely directed efforts he has not only gained a good business standing, but also the good will of all who have dealings with him.  Mr. Moyer is a native son of the Buckeye State, having been born in Auglaize County, Ohio, in 1882.  His parents were Isaac R. and Jennie (Runyon) Moyer, who lived on a farm in that locality, and amid the health-giving and body-building environments of farm life he was reared.  During the winter months he received his educational training at what was known as the "Camel Back" schoolhouse in Allen County, where he attended until twenty years old.  His first paid employment was with John Hoffman, a butcher, with whom he remained for six years, learning every detail of the business, in which he has become an expert.  Then for some time he was employed as a butcher by various meat dealers until 1912, when he engaged in business on his own account at 518 North Jackson street, Lima, where he continued for seven years, at the end of which time he sold out and opened another shop at 203 South Main street, where he was in business for six months.  In 1918 he formed a partnership with his brother Arlow V. under the firm name of Moyer Brothers, and they have since been engaged in the wholesale and retail meat business, in which they have met with pronounced success.  They do all their own killing, thus insuring fresh meat to their customers, and with his thorough knowledge of the business he is able to cater to the tastes of the most exacting.  They have a large and constantly increasing city and country trade and are numbered among the leaders in their line in this section of the country.
     In 1900 Mr. Moyer was married to Barbara Schafer, the daughter of John Schafer of Auglaize  County, and to them have been born two children, Marie Letha and Oliver Virgil.  Politically Mr. Moyer is an ardent supporter of the republican ticket ticket and takes an intelligent interest in public affairs, especially as pertaining to local interests.  Fraternally he is a member of the Loyal Order of Moose.  Mr. Moyer enjoys distinctive prestige in local commercial circles, his practical intelligence, mature judgment and sound business sense winning for him the confidence and good will of all with whom he has come in contact.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 255

NOTES:

 



 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights