OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 
WELCOME TO
Delaware County, Ohio

History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio -
Publ. Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co.
1895

<BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX 1880>
<BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX 1908>
<BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX 1895>

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

J. B. JACKSON, a well-known farmer and stock-dealer of Troy township, Delaware county, Ohio, is a native of Orange county, New York, the date of his birth being April 4, 1825.
     Mr. Jackson’s father, James Jackson, also a native of Orange county, New York, was of Scotch-Irish descent, and was a merchant from the time he was fifteen years of age.  He came to Delaware county, Ohio, in 1840 and located in Troy township.  Subsequently he removed to Wyandot county and settled near Sandusky, the land upon which he located being now a part of that city.  He remained there until the time of his death, at the age of sixty years.  He was a Deacon and an Elder in the Presbyterian Church, and his political views were those advocated by the Whig party.  The mother of our subject was before her marriage Miss Eliza Board.  She was born and-reared in New Jersey, and died when J. B. was only three years old.  Later the father married Miss Emily Bruce.  He had two sons and two daughters by his first wife and four children by the second.  J. B. is the only one of the first children now living.
     Mr. Jackson was fifteen years of age when he came out to Delaware county, and the following year he was employed to teach school in Troy township.  He made his home with his father until he reached his majority, and then, in partnership with his brother, engaged in farming.  Farming has been his life occupation.  He now owns 360 acres of land in Troy township, nearly all of which, at the time of his settlement here just after his marriage, was an unbroken forest.  Its excellent improvements, residence, barn, etc., have all been placed here by him, and the general appearance of the premises is indicative of the energy and enterprise which have characterized his years of labor.
     Mr. Jackson was married October 4, 1848, to Sarah M. Bush, who was born on the farm where they now live, May 8, 1827, her father having come to Delaware county as early as 1807.  Her parents, David and Elizabeth (Wilson) Bush, were born in New York and New Hampshire respectively, and Mrs. Jackson was the fourth in their family of nine children, three sons and six daughters, all of whom reached maturity.  Mr. and Mrs. Jackson have had seven children, namely: Elwyn Bush, Edgar Bruce, Lewis Bradford, Frank Board, Harry Seward, Hattie and Bertha.  The last named died in infancy.
     At an early day Mr. Jackson affiliated with the Whigs, and since the organization of the Republican party has given it his support.  He has served most efficiently in various local offices, such as Trustee, Treasurer, Clerk and Assessor of the township.  He and his family are members of the Presbyterian Church.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 258-259
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

WARREN S. JEWELL. ––Among the representative farmers of Porter township, Delaware county, Ohio, the subject of this review is particularly prominent, conducting one of the finest and most prolific farms in the county, and having been honored with numerous official preferments in the gift of the people of the community.  To such men we turn with peculiar satisfaction as offering in their life histories justification for works of this nature, ––not that their lives have been such as to gain them wide reputation or the admiring plaudits of men, but that they have been true to the trusts imposed, have shown such attributes of character as entitle them to the regard of all, and have been useful in their sphere of action.
     The father of our subject was Harrison Jewell, who was a native of Elizabethtown, New Jersey, and of Welsh-Scotch and French extraction.  He was a brick-mason and a general mechanic by trade; was a Republican in his political views, and was a member of the Disciple Church.  In 1830 he came from his native State to Licking county, Ohio, where he was shortly afterward united in marriage to Mary Miller, who was born in Knox county, Ohio.  They became the parents of eight children, namely: Elizabeth, Rachel, Sarah, Laura, deceased, Warren S., David L. and Mary and Almira, (twins), both of whom are now deceased.  David was an active participant in the late war.  The father of our subject died at Utica, Ohio, in 1879, having attained the age of seventy years.  His widow still resides near that city, at the venerable age of eighty-two years.
     Warren S. Jewell was born in Licking county, Ohio, August 17, 1841, and he passed his youth in his native county, attending the district schools and supplementing his rudimentary discipline by a one year’s course of study in the university at Granville.  After leaving college he engaged in business at Rich Hill, Knox county, where he remained for one year.  In 1864 he came to Delaware county and took up his residence upon his present farm, comprising 317 acres, all of which has been brought into a high state of cultivation, and which bears evidence of the prosperity which has attended the persevering efforts of our subject in the way of the many substantial improvements made.  The place is known as Summit Farm and is a beautiful rural home.
     Mr. Jewell is an active member of the Republican party, and occupies a high position in the local councils of the organization.  His popularity and the recognition of his ability are shown in the fact that he has been called upon to serve as incumbent in the offices of Assessor, Trustee, and as a member of the Board of Education of Porter township for fifteen years.  In his fraternal affiliations he is identified with Porter Lodge, No. 640, Knights of Pythias, said lodge maintaining its organization at East Liberty.
     In conclusion we turn to the domestic life of our subject, learning that, on New Year’s day, 1867, he was united in marriage to Miss Laura, a daughter of Rev. William Moody, a well-known divine of the Disciple Church in Knox county.  Mr. and Mrs. Jewell have five children, of whom we offer the following epitomized record: Eva M. is the wife of Levi Blackledge, of Porter township; Harry W. is a student in Hiram college, at Hiram, Ohio; and Walter M., Mamie J., and Clifford W. are at home.  One child, the second-born, died in infancy.  Mr. Jewell is an Elder in the Disciple Church of Centerburg, and with the same organization his wife is actively identified as a zealous and devoted member.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 229-230
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

DENISON JOHNSON, one of the leading citizens of Harlem township, Delaware county, was born October 19, 1827, a son of Dr. Harris and Mary Ann (Ingalls) Johnson, natives respectively of Massachusetts and Pennsylvania.  The father, a prominent physician, died at Natchez, Mississippi, of yellow fever, in 1830, leaving six children: Caroline and Lyman (deceased), Mary Ann, Joseph, Denison and Harris (of this county).  The mother departed this life in Harlem township, Delaware county, at the age of eighty-three years.
     Denison Johnson, the subject of this sketch, was reared to farm labor.  On coming to this county he located on fifty acres of timber land, erected a log cabin, and has resided there for forty years.  He has added to his original purchase until he now owns 180 acres of well improved land, and is engaged in general farming and stock raising.  In his political relations Mr. Johnson affiliates with the Republican party, has served as a member of the School Board, and as Township Trustee.  He is an Elder in the Christian Church.  Mr. Johnson is a man of intelligence, well posted on the general topics of the day, is active in education, temperance and religion, and is one of the leading citizens of his community.
     He was married at the age of twenty-two years, to Ellen Keeler, a native of Genoa township, Delaware county, Ohio, and a daughter of Colonel D. and Aurelia (Hull) Keeler, a prominent and well-known family of this county.  The father died in Genoa township.  Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have three children, ––Alice, wife of Albert Mann, of this township; Jay, at home; and Edward Lamont.  One child, Orvilla, died at the age of eleven months.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, p. 495
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

HARVEY A. JOHNSON, who follows farming in Berkshire township, Delaware county, was born on the place which is still his home, December 19. 1857, and is a son of Harvey and Margaret (Cronkleton) Johnson.  The father, now deceased, was a prominent and well-known early settler born in Berlin township, where his father, John Johnson, located in 1805.  He first married Julia Hoskins and they became the parents of three children, two yet living, ––Mrs. Helen Carmichel, of Paulding county, Ohio, and Mrs. Isabel Sherwood, of Pottawattamie county, Iowa.  After the death of his first wife, Mr. Johnson wedded Mrs. Margaret Robinson, a widow and to them were born five children, ––Mrs. Lucretia Collins, of Cleveland; Mrs. Emma Oveturf, of Paulding county; Mrs. Elnore Young, of Berlin township; H. A., of this sketch; and Julia, wife of E. E. Wolcott, a prominent attorney-at-law of Omaha. Nebraska.  By her former marriage Mrs. Johnson had two sons: William who was a soldier in the late war; and George, of Calhoun county, Iowa.  In his political views Harvey Johnson, Sr., was a Republican, and in religious belief his wife was a Presbyterian.  His death occurred at the age of seventy-four, and she was called to the home beyond when sixty-eight years of age.
     Upon the old homestead farm, Mr. Johnson, of this sketch, was reared to manhood, and in the common schools acquired a good English education.  He inherited from his father the old farm and is now the owner of 145 acres of valuable land, under a high state of cultivation.  The place is improved with a comfortable residence, which stands in the midst of beautiful shade trees, and in the rear of the house is a good barn, 30 x 40 feet, and the other buildings necessary for the shelter of his grain and stock.  Well kept fences divide the land into fields of convenient size for pasturage and for cultivation.
     On the 31st of May, 1887, Mr. Johnson was married, in Cleveland, Ohio, to Miss Alice Collins, the ceremony being performed at the home of the bride’s parents, Leroy and Harriet Elizabeth Collins.  Her father is engaged in the jewelry business and the family is one of prominence in the city where they reside.  Mrs. Johnson is a lady of culture and refinement and presides with grace over her pleasant home.  The household is made happy by the presence of a little daughter, ––Vera Adelle, born February 10, 1889.
     Mr. Johnson is a supporter of the Republican party, and a member of the Knights of Pythias fraternity.  His wife holds membership with the Presbyterian Church.  In manner he is frank and outspoken, in disposition genial and pleasant, and wherever he goes he wins friends, who esteem him highly for his sterling worth.  Being ranked among the leading citizens of his township he well deserves representation in this volume.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, p. 416
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

ARTHUR H. JONES, one of the most prominent and wealthy farmers of Troy township, Delaware county, Ohio, was born in Pickaway county, this State, Sept. 22, 1854, but has lived in Delaware county ever since he was eighteen months old, he having been brought here at that time by his parents.  He is a son of Judge Thomas C. Jones, deceased, who was born in Wales and who was for many years one of the landing men of this county.
     Arthur H. was reared a farmer boy.  After attending the district schools for some years he took a course at the Ohio Wesleyan University, of Delaware, and when he was twenty he engaged in farming in partnership with his father.  His early training, together with his natural business ability and his energy and enterprise, have won for him the prosperity he now enjoys.  He has between 500 and 600 acres of land and is regarded as one of the largest land-holders in Troy township.  This land is devoted to general farming and stock raising.  Mr. Jones has given much time and attention to advancing the interests of dealers in fine stock.  He is a director of the American Short-horn Cattle Society, with headquarters at Chicago; and a life member of the British Society, with headquarters at London, England.  He is also a director of the Delaware county National Bank.  His political affiliations are with the Republican party, and he is a member of the Grange.
     Mr. Jones was married in February, 1878, to Clara J. Phelps, a native of Westerville, Franklin county, Ohio.  They have four children: Thomas A., Alice C., Florence F. and Gwen.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio - Publ. Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co. 1895
- Page 165
  GEORGE W. JONES is one of the representatives and leading citizens of Delaware county, Ohio, having in many ways been identified with its interests and with those enterprises which are calculated to prove of public benefit.  He now owns and occupies a fine farm near Radnor, and two of his most noticeable characteristics are made manifest in his care for the same, industry and enterprise.  As he is so widely and favorably known in this community, we feel assured that this record of his life will prove of interest to many of our readers, and gladly give it a place in the history of his adopted county.
     Mr. Jones was born in Licking county, Ohio, Aug. 24, 1839, and is a son of David and Elizabeth (Evans) Jones, natives of Cardiganshire, South Wales, the former born in 1808, the latter in 1807.  The father was a blacksmith and followed that trade in his native land for some years, when he determined to try his fortune in America and sailed with his family for the New World.  The year 1836 witnessed his arrival and he located in Albany, New York, where he, followed blacksmithing two years and then removed to Newark, Ohio.  In that place he carried on a smithy until 1849, when with his family he became a resident of Delaware county, Ohio, and purchased 200 acres of land near Radnor, operating the same for thirty years in connection with blacksmithing.  During the war he served as a regimental blacksmith in Company E, Sixty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  In politics, he was a Democrat, and was a man whose worth and ability won him many friends.  IN 1879 he returned to his native land on a visit, and while there departed this life on the 11th of August, 1885.  His wife passed away in August, 1878.  She was a member of the Congregational Church.  Their family numbered eleven children, eight of whom grew to mature years and became heads of families.
     In the usual manner of farmer lads George W. Jones spent the days of his boyhood and youth, aiding in the labors of the field through the summer months and attending the schools of the neighborhood during the winter season.  He was still at home when the civil war broke out, but on the 8th of November, 1861, he responded to the country's call for troops and joined the boys in blue of Company E, Sixty-sixth Ohio Infantry.  He took part in thirteen of the most severe engagements of the war, together with many skirmishes, and was promoted to the rank of Sergeant.  Thrice was he wounded, being struck by Rebel lead, in the battle of Cedar Mountain, in the calf of the right leg, and just above the left knee in the battle of Antietam, while at Gettysburg he was wounded in the left foot.  From the effects of these injuries he has never fully recovered and in consequence the Government has granted him a pension.  He continued in the service, until March 14, 1865, when he was honorably discharged.  The Union army had no more loyal soldier and the old flag no more valiant defender than Mr. Jones, who, ever true, was always found at the post of duty.
     On the 25th of February, 1869, Mr. Jones was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Humphreys, who was born August 13, 1838, and is a daughter of Humphrey and Margaret (Griffiths) Humphreys, natives of Montgomeryshire, North Wales, who, with their respective families, came to America in early life and were married in this country.  For several years her father was one of the leading farmers of Radnor township.  He passed away in 1845, and his wife, who survived him many years, 1as called to the home beyond in 1882.  With the Congregational Church they held membership, as do Mr. and Mrs. Jones.  Our subject and his wife have traveled quite extensively in Europe, visiting many points of interest and becoming familiar with the noted sights and scenes of the Old World.  They hold an enviable position in social circles where true worth and intelligence are received as the passports into good society, and in the county which has so long been their home have many warm friends. 
     Socially, Mr. Jones is connected with the Grand Army of the Republic and belongs to the U. V. L.  In his political affiliation he is a Democrat, and in 1883 was elected on that ticket as County Commissioner, receiving a very flattering majority, and so well did he discharge his duty that on the expiration of his first term he was again chosen for the position.  He is now successfully engaged in farming, and his business ability and good management have made him a prosperous agriculturist.  Public spirited and progressive, he manifests a commendable interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of the community, and withholds his support from no enterprise calculated to promote public prosperity.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio - Publ. Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co. 1895 - Page 67
DR. HARRY D. JONES, one of the leading young dentists of Delaware, Ohio, is a native of Bridgeport, Belmont county, this State, born May 30, 1868.  His parents, Robert and Mary (Davis) Jones, are now residents of Delaware.
     Dr. Jones spent his early boyhood days as a student in the public schools of Bridgeport and Delaware.  When he was fifteen he secured employment in a grocery store, and later, for some eighteen months, he clerked in the Delaware postoffice.  On account of sickness he resigned the latter position.  In 1885 he began the study of dentistry with Drs. Steves & Mitchell, and two years later he entered the Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he graduated Mar. 1, 1889.  Immediately after his graduation he located in Delaware, at first, for a few months, being associated with Dr. C. G. Lewis.  Then he entered into the partnership with Dr. A. M. Harrison, of Columbus, Ohio, having an office in both Columbus and Delaware.  Dr. Jones taking charge of the latter.  This partnership was dissolved in July, 1892, and from that time to the present he has been practicing alone.  His parlors are located at 52 North Sandusky street and he is doing a general practice.  Ambitious and energetic and well equipped for his chosen profession, he has gained a prominent position among the business men of the city.
     Dr. Jones is a stanch Republican, and a member of the Presbyterian Church.

Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio - Publ. Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co. 1895
- Page 152
GENERAL J. S. JONES - Black to that cradle of our national history, the "Old Dominion," must we turn in tracing the lineage of the honored resident of Delaware, Ohio, whose name initiates this review.  We find that William H. Jones, a native of Virginia, and  doubly orphaned while still a child, left Westmoreland county, that State, when a youth of fourteen years (in the year 1818) and came to Ohio for the purpose of making for himself a home and a place in the great economy of human activates.  Though a mere boy he entered claim to eighty acres of land in Johnston township, Champaign county, Ohio, and with an undaunted courage prepared to bring the same to a point of yielding returns for labor expanded.  To the securing of this unimproved claim he applied the first $100 which he had been enabled to earn.  Time and consecutive toil brought about the desired end. - he cleared up the farm and eventually brought the same to a high state of cultivation, there passing his declining years in peace and comfort.  Having established a primitive abode upon his farm the young man next sought a companion to share his lot.  Accordingly, at the age of nineteen years, he was united in marriage to Miss Rachel Sills, who was a native of Pennsylvania, and about the same age as himself.  The young couple, scarcely more than children, established themselves upon their place and calmly prepared to "face a frowning world."  There they lived, prospered in a material way, reared a family of four sons and four daughters and there fell into that rest which is eternal, - their life work ended, their course well run.
     Such in brief is a record of the parentage of General J. S. Jones, to whose individual biography we now direct attention.  He was born in Champaign county, Ohio, Feb. 12, 1836, passing his boyhood years upon the parental farm and in attending the distant schools.  Mar. 3, 1853, at the age of seventeen years he entered the preparatory department of the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, and by applying himself to such manual labor as he could secure in and about the town, he succeeded in defraying the expenses of his college course, - showing great self denial, living with extreme frugality and bending every effort to the accomplishment of the desired end, a good education.  He graduated, in the scientific course, June 13, 1855, and then turned his attention with equal vigor to preparing himself for his chosen profession, that of law.  He prosecuted his studies in the office of Powell & Vandeman, at Delaware, and was admitted to the bar in 1857.
     Recognition of his ability and of his eligibility for a position of public trust came in 1860, when he was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Delaware county.  The dark cloud of the civil war soon cast its gruesome pall over the national horizon and, in1861, Mr. Jones resigned his official position to go forth in the defense of  his county, enlisting, on April 16, of that year, in Company C, Fourth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  He was soon elected First Lieutenant of his company, his commission dating from the day of this enlistment.  That he saw much of active service and that he neve4r flinched from duty, is shown in his war record.  He participated in the battles of Rich Mountain, July 10 and 11, 1861; Romney, October 26; and Blue Gap, January 7, 1862.  March 11, 1862, he was assigned to duty on the staff of General James Shields, after which he was in the following memorable engagements: Winchester, March 22 and 23, 1862; Mount Jackson, April 17; Port Royal, May 25; Port Republic, June 9; Fredericksburg, December 18; Chancellorsville, May 2 and 3, 1863; Gettysburg, July 2 and 3; Mine Run, April 27 and 30; Poe River, May 14, 1864; North Anna River, May 22, 23, 24; Cold Harbor, June 3.
     Lieutenant Jones was promoted to a Captaincy Sept. 25, 1862, and as such was mustered out with his regiment June 21, 1864.  Within the same year he was nominated by acclamation as the Republican candidate for Representative of Delaware county in the State Legislature.  This position he resigned on September 21st of that year to accept the appointment of Colonel of the One Hundred and Seventy-fourth Regiment of Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  He participated with his regiment in the following engagements: Decatur, Alabama, October 28, 29, 30, 1864; Over-alls Creek (near Murfreesboro, Tennessee), December 4; Shelbyville Pike (in the vicinity of the same city), December 7; Kingston, North Carolina, March 10, 1865.
     On the 27th of June, 1865; he was brevetted Brigadier General for "gallant and meritorious service during the war."  The great conflict having been brought to a close and the supremacy of the Union forces determined, General Jones was mustered out July 27, 1865.
     Crowned with laurels won by patriotic services upon the field of battle, our subject directed his attention once more to the accomplishment of the no less renowned victories of peace.  He returned to his home at Delaware, and on the 2d of April, 1866, he was honored by his townsmen by election to the office of Mayor.  In October of the same year he was once more elected Prosecuting Attorney of Delaware county, to which position he was twice re-chosen as his own successor, finally refusing the third renomination.
     He was appointed, in 1872, trustee of the Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Orphans' Home, one of the most noble institutions of the State, with which he has been officially connected fro the time of its inception to the present, being now president of the board of trustees, and ever maintaining a lively interest in the success of the home.  In 1873 there was conferred upon the General by his alma mater the honorary degree of Master of Arts.  He was Presidential Elector on the Grant and Wilson ticket in 1872, representing the Ninth Congressional District of Ohio.  In the Centennial year he was elected a member of the Forty-fifth Congress, as Representative from the same district, proving himself a discriminating and conservative legislator.  At the close of his first term in Congress he was the victim of a "gerrymander," by which his county was placed in a district overwhelmingly Democratic.  He was a member of the sixty-fourth and Sixty-fifth General Assemblies of the State, serving during four years as chairman of the Judiciary Committee of the House of Representatives.
    August 8, 1865, General Jones was united in marriage, at Delaware, Ohio, to Miss Louise S. Campbell, a native of Knox county.  They are the parents of three children, of whom we offer brief record as follows:  Clara L., who graduated at Vassar College in 1887, is at present preceptress of the East Greenwich Academy, Rhode Island; William Bernard graduated at the Ohio Wesleyan University in 1889, and is a member of the law firm of Jones, Lytle & Jones, having been admitted to the bar in March, 1892; Carroll H., also a graduate of the Ohio Wesleyan University, is reading law in the office of the firm of which his father and brother are members.
     General Jones has gained a marked precedence in his profession, and his labors have been brought to successful issue, - standing in evidence of his ability and of the confidence begotten of careful methods.  His life ha been a superlatively active one and an equally useful one, and there is not need that more be written than is shadowed forth in the epitome of his life here offered.  In his fraternal relations the General is identified with the F. & A. M., the G. A. R. and the Loyal Legion.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio - Publ. Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co. 1895
- Page 9
JOHN W. JONES, of Radnor, Delaware county, Ohio, was born in the township in which he now lives, Nov. 12, 1855, son of William P. and Elizabeth (Thomas) Jones.
     William P. Jones
was born near Utica, New York, son of John Jones, a native of Wales, who came to America about 1832 and engaged in farming.  After remaining in New York a short time he came in 1833 to Delaware county, Ohio, and took claim to the 100 acres of land which is now owned and occupied by Robert Rowlands.  He continued farming the rest of his life, and died in 1857.  His wife's maiden name was Sarah Thomas.  They joined the Congregational Church at Utica, and after they came West united with the same church at Radnor and were among the leading members here.  She survived until 1893 and was eighty-five years old at the time of her death.  Their family was composed of five daughters and one son, all of whom, with one exception, reached maturity, married and had families and settled in this vicinity.  They are as follows:  Sarah J., wife of Thomas Griffiths; Margaret, wife of Thomas Pritchard; Amelia, deceased wife of a Mr. Bagley; Martha M., wife of Robert Rowlands; and William P., father of our subject.  William P. Jones was a farmer and a manufacturer of lime, carrying on the latter business on an extensive scale at Radnor.  In 1873 he removed to Delaware and retired from business and there spent the residue of his life and died.  He was a Republican in politics and was a man of high moral worth.  His wife was a native of Wales and came to this country with her father when she was four years old.  Mr. and Mrs. Jones had an only child, - John W., whose name heads this article.
     John W. Jones was reared on his father's farm, and received his early education in the common schools.  He then entered the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, where he graduated in 1879.  After completing his education, he was for three years engaged in farming in Marion county.  About this time his father bought the warehouse at Radnor, and he turned his attention to the grain business here, in partnership with his father at first, and, since his father's death, has continued it alone.  To this business he has also added that of hardware and agricultural implements.  Whatever he has undertaken, he has carried it forward to success, and, indeed, he is regarded as one of the most prosperous men of the county.  He affiliates with the Republican party, and has served as a Justice of the Peace.
     Mr. Jones was married Oct. 28, 1886, to Margaret E. Gallant, daughter of James W. and Elizabeth (Williams) Gallant, her people being ranked with the early settlers of the county.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio - Publ. Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co. 1895
- Page 437
HON. THOMAS C. JONES, deceased, was for years one of the most prominent citizens of Delaware county, and indeed of the whole State of Ohio, - a leader in professional, agricultural and social circles.  At the meeting of the Delaware county bar held to take action upon the death of Judge Jones, the following address was delivered by General J. S. Jones, and by courtesy of the Delaware Gazette, we copy it entire:
     "It was in the year 1859, after Judge Jones' nomination for the State Senate that I first formed his acquaintance.  About this time, I had commenced taking part in political discussions, and by reason of his temporary illness, he requested me to fill two political appointments for him in Licking county, (one at Hartford and one at Johnston) and from that time until his decease, a period of thirty-three years, I enjoyed his friendship.  I knew him well, socially, professionally and politically.  During our long acquaintance, I was constantly indebted to him for wise counsel and judicious advice.  His mind was omnivorous and his capacity enabled him to form valuable opinions on any subject that engaged his attentions.  He was not given to flattery and could be relied upon for the expression of an honest and candid judgment.  His fondness for society and love of intercourse with his fellow men did not escape the observation of those who knew him in his younger years, and this trait of his character grew upon him with advancing years.  He took delight in the ordinary intercourse and enjoyment of general society, but it was the real and true friendship such as belonged to those of whom very few are recorded, that he most appreciated and the absence of which among men of prominence he particularly lamented.  He knew the pleasure and value of that more intimate relation of kindred spirits that can trust each other in the confidence of private friendship, and thus lessen their cares and heighten their pleasures by the unrestrained intercourse of sentiment and opinions.  He was a lawyer of great ability and was a forcible and eloquent speaker, ranking with the ablest lawyers of the State.  His methods were earnest and direct and he sought the truth in every contest in which he engaged.  He possessed the rare combination of qualities that eminently fitted him for the discharge of judicial duties.  Upright, deliberate and resolute; a lover of justice, more solicitous to be right than to be popular, with a thorough knowledge of the law, and a mind capable of readily grasping the facts in a case.  For ten years, on our Common Pleas bench, he displayed his rare qualifications as a judge, by the correctness and impartiality of his decisions.  He was an active participant in public affairs, and always took an active interest in politics.  He was a good campaigner, always thoroughly informed, logical in argument and sincere in his conviction: she never failed to instruct and was always heard with favor by popular audiences.
     "He served in the higher branch of the General Assembly at the General Assembly at the beginning of the war.  Judge Jones, James A. Garfield, Judge Key, ex-Governor J. D. Cox and R. A. Harrison and other able men rendered that body famous.  It was a 'crises' that required strong men to provide for the approaching conflict, and Judge Jones' ability as a lawyer enabled him to render the people of the State invaluable service.  By his sterling patriotism, resolute courage, unimpeachable integrity and never-failing powers of endurance, he was known by the sobriquet of the 'Iron Man of the Senate.'   As a member of the Board of Trustees of the Ohio Agricultural College; as an active participant in the efforts to remove the restriction upon the trade in live stock between this country and England; as a member of the commission, under the act of Congress, to examine and report upon the agricultural needs and resources of the Pacific States; as an earnest and persistent advocate of the measures pending before the Congress of the United States to prevent the spread of pleuro pneumonia among cattle, and as a member of the commission to prevent the spread of contagious to prevent the spread of contagious diseases among farm stock in Ohio,   Judge Jones has been of immense public service to his State and country.  He possessed the ability and integrity to discharge successfully the duties of any position in the government.  Full justice will be done to his memory in all these particulars by others, and I trust I may be pardoned for calling special attention to his labors in the interests of farmers and to his love for the pursuits of agriculture.  'Fairholme,' the name of his country estate, was his pride and delight.  What I say of Fairholme I learned directly from Judge Jones himself, through intimate and close relations between us during his last sickness, and what I say is but the 'echo of the voice that is still.'
     "Born and reared in the country, with a strong attachment to rural life, the work of establishing a farm adapted to mixed husbandry, in which a leading feature should be the raising of life stock, he set about the task of acquiring the title of Fairholme, and procured part of it in 1855, and immediately set about its improvement.  The following year he arranged with C. Hills, his brother-in-law, for carrying on the farm in partnership, and they together established the first herd of thoroughbred Shorthorn cattle, and the first flock of South-down sheep ever owned in Delaware county.  Judge Jones moved into the residence on Crystal Spring farm, owned by C. Hills, and they carried on the business of farming and stock-growing with satisfactory results for few years, until the balance of the land, known as the Francis Smith farm, was purchased by Judge Jones, its homestead improved, and he then commenced its occupation as his family residence.  He and Mr. Hills then divided their business, and Judge Jones found that the farm he occupied was not large enough for the successful management of the business he had established, and he determined to acquire more land.   His first purchase was ten acres from the northeast corner of the Crystal Spring farm, adjoining the southeast part of the Fairholme, through which flows the Crystal Spring brook, thus furnishing stock water for that portion of his farm.  He subsequently purchased what was originally known as the Solomon Joy farm, adjoining his former purchase on the east, thus extending his possessions to the Olentangy river, which bound it on the east.
     "Here at beautiful Fairholme, consisting of about 230 acres of land, situated on the both sides of the old Columbus and Sandusky road, now known as the Marion pike, something less than two miles north of this city, with its large acreage of luxuriant bottom land, with its beautifully undulating upland of excellent quality, with its crystal brook of clear water, on the banks of  which are situated the dwelling, barn, and other farm buildings, with its open-woods pasture consisting of velvety blue-grass, with its beautiful groves of the best and most ornamental American forest trees, its beautiful valleys dotted with flowering shrubs, the crabapple, the dogwood and the native hawthorn, this modern Cicero, our deceased friend, engaged for nearly forty years in the elevation and dignifying of this pursuit he devoted unceasingly the best energies of his nature.  His thoughts were constantly occupied in agricultural topics, and with voice and pen he was the champion of the toiling millions who labor on farms.  As his highly bred herds of shorthorn cattle, with their beautiful symmetry of form and high excellence of quality and matchless brilliancy of color, and his thoroughbred Southdown sheep, the superior perfection of whose form and excellence of flesh is everywhere acknowledged, are the crowning glory of Fairholme, so his labors for the elevation and dignity of agriculture are the crowning glory of his life.  He sought by every means in his power, through legislation and otherwise, to protect the individual land owner from the abuse of corporate power.  To a gentleman of the old school of whom it is said 'he never asked any man for his support in a nominating convention or at an election,' it is not strange that modern methods in vogue in politics were distasteful to him.  He was a strong Republican from conviction, but he believed it the duty of the moral elements in each of the two leading political parties to use their utmost endeavors to prevent the domination and control of nominations by the 'bilge-water element' of the large cities.  He at one time seriously discussed the plan for bringing about a union of the moral elements of society for the purpose of asserting their power, and compelling recognition in making nominations, and in the administration of public affairs.  He was greatly rejoiced over the renomination by the Republican Convention of Minneapolis, and considered the renomination of Cleveland in Chicago by the Democrats, as a signal triumph of the better elements in that organization.  Judge Jones was perfectly familiar with every phase of religious belief, and with the doctrine of Christianity as understood and interpreted by the most eminent divines.  His religious faith was clear, unwavering and absolute.  He loved to converse on religious subjects, and it was a pleasure and profit to hear him.  While he understood and thoroughly comprehended the weakness of man, he had unbounded faith in humanity.  He took great interest in works of public and private benevolence, and his memory will be cherished and his history preserved as an illustrious example of public and private virtue."
     At the meeting of the bar, the following resolutions were also passed:

     By the death of Thomas C. Jones we are called upon to record our appreciation of the services of a notable and distinguished citizen who was a member of the bar for more than half a century.  He was born in the parish of Myfad, Montgomeryshire, North Wales, Feb. 9, 1816, and died  at his residence in this city Aug. 13, 1892.  He was admitted to the bar at Gallipolis, Ohio, in the spring of 1841.  After practicing two years in Delaware, he removed to Circleville, Pickaway county.  Here he practiced successfully his chosen profession for thirteen years, when he returned to Delaware and became a member of the firm of Jones & Carper, one of the leading law firms of Delaware county.  In 1859 he was elected to represent the Senatorial district, composed of Delaware and Licking counties in the Ohio Senate and served as a leading member of the judiciary committee of that body.  In 1861 he was elected Judge of the first subdivision of the Sixth Judicial district, composed of the counties of delaware, Licking and Knox, and was re-elected in 1866, serving continuously for a period of ten years.  He was an able advocate and a just judge.  In the later years of his life, he filled with distinction many public positions of which thorough legal training and general acquirements eminently fitted him.  He was a member of the Republican convention, and Chairman of the Ohio Delegation of Chicago in 1868.  He was a member of the Republican National convention at Cincinnati in 1876, and was one of the leading supporters of the nomination of his old friend and schoolmate, Rutherford B. Hayes, for the Presidency.  He was a member of the first Board of Trustees of the Ohio Agricultural College and chairman of its first executive committee.  He was one of the jury to award the honors in the cattle department in the world's fair in Philadelphia.  In the year 1881 he was appointed on a commission under a special act of Congress to examine and report upon the agricultural needs and resources of the Pacific States.  He was twice appointed and served on commissions to inquire into the conduct and management of our Indian affairs.  He was an official visitor to the Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland.  He was the first president of the Ohio Association of Breeders of Shorthorn cattle, and was one of the leading spirits in the publication of the Ohio Herd-book and was a member of the Ohio commission for the prevention of the spread of infectious and contagious diseases among stock.  He held many other political positions of honor and trust.  Many of the last years of his life were largely devoted to agriculture and its interests, and in every relation of life, whether as lawyer, advocate, jurist, legislator, or as public and private citizen rendered distinguished services to society and to his State and to his country, therefore.
     Resolved, 1st:  That we receive the death of Thomas C. Jones with profound sorrow and mourn his loss, as the loss of one who reflected the highest honor upon the legal profession, of which he was so distinguished an ornament, and that we will hold in grateful remembrance the example of his public and private virtues.
    
Resolved, 2nd:  That we tender to his family and kindred the assurance of our deep and heartfelt sympathy under their sad bereavement.
     Resolved 3rd:  That as a further token of respect, and in further memory of the deceased, we will attend his funeral in a body
     Resolved 4th:  That the president of this meeting be and is hereby directed to communicate a copy of these resolutions to the family of the deceased, and that he present the same to the judges of the Common Pleas and Circuit courts of this county with the request that they be spread upon the journals of these courts respectively at their next regular meetings.

{ J. S. JONES,
E. F. POPPLETON,
B. F. FRESHWATER

     These resolutions were unanimously adopted, and remarks upon the life and valuable public services of the deceased where also made by Hon. J. S. Jones and Hon. H. M. Carper.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio - Publ. Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co. 1895 - Page 477

CLICK HERE to Return to
DELAWARE COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights