A Part of Genealogy Express
Delaware County, Ohio

History & Genealogy


Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio -
Publ. Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co.



DR. JAMES W. WATTS, a well-known physician and surgeon of Delaware, Ohio, dates his birth in Rodney, Gallia county, Ohio, January 15, 1851.  His parents, Dr. W. M. and Mary (Campbell) Watts, are both deceased.  They were of Irish descent.
     Our subject’s early life was spent in his father’s office and in attending school, his advantages for an education being excellent.  When he was seventeen he began the study of medicine under the tutorship of his father, and continued under his instructions until 1870, when he entered the Ohio Medical College, where he graduated in due time.  He took two courses in that institution and one at Louisville, Kentucky.  After thoroughly preparing himself for his profession he entered upon its practice at Centreville, Gallia county, and continued there two years.  The following two years he was employed as teacher of physiology at Rio Grande College, and at the end of that time he returned to Rodney, his native town, and practiced there until coming to Delaware, September 1, 1892.  In the comparatively short time he has been here he has worked up a good general practice and has gained considerable prominence in his special line.
     In 1890 he decided to give some thought to the preparation of a remedy to relieve the afflicted and suffering humanity of the liquor, morphine and tobacco habits, and, being a master of his profession, he soon secured the compound that would produce the desired results without first wrecking the entire system of the patient.  At first he began treating in a private way, but in 1893 he established an institute in Delaware for the treatment of all such diseases or habits, and in this enterprise he has met with signal success.  He now proposes to give his entire attention to his specialty.
     Dr. Watts was married September 22, 1878, to Miss Euphenia S., daughter of Wiley and Sarah E. (Coverstan) Hill, she being a native of Green township, Gallia county, Ohio, born March 3, 1856.  They have four children, namely: Mary, born May 6, 1881; Philip H., August 9, 1885; Sallie, April 3, 1886; Belle, February 29, 1888.
     The Doctor is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 468-469
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

ALBERT E. WESTBROOK, physician and surgeon, and one of the most prominent and highly respected citizens of the town of Ashley, Ohio, was born in Woodbury, Delaware county (now Morrow), Ohio, December 17, 1840.  Of his life and ancestry a record is as follows:
     The Westbrooks are of German descent, the Doctor’s grandfather having been born in Germany.  Solomon and Mathena (Edmonds) Westbrook, the parents of our subject, were natives of Canandaigua, New York.  Both are deceased.  The latter was a descendant of old New England ancestors.  Solomon Westbrook was a man of great versatility and strong individuality.  He was reared on a farm, and in early life learned the carpenter’s trade, at which trade, however, he spent but little time.  He then read medicine, and for a few years practiced at different points.  In 1840 he took charge of the hotel at South Woodbury, where he remained some time, and did a successful business.  The California gold fever that swept over the country in 1849 made a victim of him, and, in company with a party of twenty, he started for the Pacific coast.  He drove an ox team from St. Joseph, Missouri, to San Francisco, the whole company enduring many hardships on the journey.  After his arrival in San Francisco he worked at his trade, and built some of the first houses in the city.  Then he turned his attention to mining, and for two years he worked in the mines, with varied success, returning to Ohio at the end of that time with his financial condition not improved.  He was naturally of a roving disposition.  During his early life he traveled afoot and on horseback from the Atlantic to the Pacific and from the Gulf to the Lakes.  Upon his return from California, however, he decided to settle down, and accordingly bought a farm near Woodbury, Ohio, where he spent the rest of his days.  He was born in 1798, and died in 1872.  In his political views he was a Republican.  For thirty years he served as a Justice of the Peace.  He was twice married, his second marriage being in 1822 to Mrs. Mathena (Edmonds) Crawford.  She was the mother of thirteen children, six by her first marriage and seven by the last.  Of the Crawford children there were one son and five daughters, the son, Andrew Crawford, being the only one now living.  Three of her children by Mr. Westbrook are living, namely: William, a farmer of Marengo, Ohio; Jane, wife of Robert Gardner, residing one mile north of Woodbury, Ohio; and the subject of this sketch, who is the youngest.  Those deceased are as follows: Lafayette, a wealthy farmer and stock dealer of Morrow county, died at the age of fifty-seven years; Mary Ann, deceased wife of Jacob Long; Ann, deceased wife of B. Hubble; and one son that died at the age of two years.  The mother of this large family passed away in 1879, at nearly ninety years of age.
     Dr. Albert E. Westbrook spent his boyhood days in his father’s hotel and on the farm.  He received an academic and college education, completing his literary course in the Ohio Wesleyan University.  In 1859 he began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. I. H. Pennock, at Woodbury, and subsequently attended the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, where he graduated February 22, 1863.
     In June of the year he completed his medical course, he passed an examination for service in the late war, and July 24 was commissioned Assistant Surgeon of the One Hundred and Sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  Until 1865 he served on detached duty at Gallatin, Tennessee.  He had charge of the pest hospital and was Pest Medical Director on the staff of Brigadier-General Pain.  He also served in Nashville, Tennessee, and at Stevenson, Alabama, and for a time was Surgeon of the Sixty-eighth New York Infantry.
     Immediately after the war he returned to Ashley, Ohio, where he has been since located, giving his attention to the practice of his profession, making a specialty of surgery and diseases of women.  In 1885 he established a drug store in Ashley, which he still conducts, his son being in business with him.
     During the whole of his career in Ashley Dr. Westbrook has ever been closely identified with its best interests.  He has served on the School Board nine years and for several terms was a member of the City Council, no member being more active in promoting the interests of the people than he.  He was the main factor in securing a graded school at Ashley in 1879.  It was largely owing to his persistent efforts that the main street of the town was paved.  In 1876 he built the two-story brick residence where he now lives, and in 1882, in company with Mr. Owens and the I. O. O. F. lodge, he erected the building at the corner of High and Harrison streets.
     The Doctor is also a member of the American Medical Association, Ohio State Medical Society, and the Delaware County Medical Society.  He belongs to the J. E. Coomer Post, G. A. R., and is also a Mason.
     Dr. Westbrook was married in 1866 to Miss Amanda E. Cunard, daughter of the late Judge Cunard, one of the leading men of Morrow county and for many years an honored resident of Mount Gilead.  They had three children, namely: Edward Cunard, who, as above stated, is in the drug business with his father, is married and settled in life, the maiden name of his wife being Brittania Cline; Blanch Alberta is the wife of John Olds, a dry-goods merchant of Ashley; and Grace.  All three have had excellent educational advantages.  The son is a graduate of the Ohio Wesleyan University, and Miss Grace is at this writing a student in that institution, she already being a graduate of Ada College.  Mrs. Olds is a high-school graduate and has natural ability as an artist.  The mother of this family died in 1886, and May 4, 1887, Dr. Westbrook married for his second wife Miss Rose M. Cunard, daughter of Captain L. M. Cunard, of Mount Gilead.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 295-297
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

W. W. WHITE, proprietor of the Oak Hill farm, in Brown township, Delaware county, was born where he now lives, September 5, 1849, a son of Samuel White.  The latter was born in Washington connty [sic], Pennsylvania, October 14, 1808, and came to this State in 1833.  His father, Fisher White, was a native of Delaware, and the latter’s father was born in England.  Fisher White married Leah Walton, also a native of Delaware, and they had nine children, namely: George, Walton, James, Ben, Samuel, Fisher, John, Wesley, Mary, and WilliamFisher White was accidentally killed at the age of eighty years.  He was a Class Leader in the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Samuel White came to Ohio in 1833, built a log cabin, and immediately began clearing the forests.  In 1835 he married Rosanna De Vore, a native of Washington county, Pennsylvania, and a daughter of Jacob and Catherine (Ely) De Vore.  To that union were born six children: Mary, Catherine, Sylvanus, Leah, Jacob and W. W.  The mother died in July, 1878, at the age of sixty-two years.  The father has been identified with the Democratic, Republican and Prohibition parties.  He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for sixty-four years, and is honored and respected by all who know him.
     W. W. White, the subject of this sketch, was reared and received his education in this county.  His farm, known as Oak Hill farm, consists of 120 acres of well-improved land.  He is extensively engaged in the raising of fine stock, making a specialty of Jersey cattle.  In his political relations Mr. White affiliates with the Democratic party.  He has served his township as Treasurer for three years.  Socially he is a member of the Knights of Pythias.
     Mr. White was married at the age of twenty-five years to Helen, a daughter of Shubael and Mary (Thompson) Knapp, natives of New England, but both now deceased.  To that union were born two children,—Lulu A. and Effie L.  The wife and mother died in 1887.  In 1890 Mr. White was united in marriage with Emma Wheeler, a daughter of Alvin and Lydia Wheeler.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 294-295
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

W. E. WIGHT, D. V. S.—The science of veterinary surgery, with its several concomitant branches, has made prodigious strides within the past decade, and has gained to its disciples a professional rank of noteworthy order.  A representative exponent of this profession in the city of Delaware, Ohio, is he whose name initiates this review,—one who has devoted time and study to preparing himself for the work in hand, and who has gained a distinctive prestige by reason of his scientific acquirements and his executive capability in the treatment of the diseases of that noble animal, the horse.
     Dr. Wight is a native of the Buckeye State, having been born in the city of Toledo, September 6, 1858, the son of Theodore and Mary (Nichols) Wight, the former of whom is now deceased.
     Our subject was reared to farm life, and received his preliminary education in the public schools, later attending a normal school.  Soon after leaving school he determined to prepare himself for the practice of veterinary surgery, and, with this end in view, he devoted himself to study in the line, then to practice, and finally entered the celebrated Ontario Veterinary College, at Toronto, Canada, where he completed the prescribed course and graduated March 29, 1883.  Within the following month he came to Delaware, Ohio, and here has since been established in the practice of his profession, having gained a representative supporting patronage, and having devoted the major portion of his time to this work.  It is worthy of note that he has established a hospital for the care of horses, and here the animals receive the best of attention and treatment, their disorders being looked to with as much discrimination as is often accorded to human beings, the Doctor having a general supervision, and being thorough and proficient in his professional diagnosis, treatment and surgical work.
     March 26, 1894, in company with Mr. C. Rose, he effected the purchase of the flour, feed and salt business of Baker & Jones, and the firm now conduct a more extensive business in that line than any similar concern in the city.  The Doctor devoted special attention to the breeding of horses of standard and thorough-bred stock and has a farm for that purpose in the vicinity of the city.
     His marriage was consummated in Delaware, November 17, 1887, when he was united to Miss Fannie Chamberlain, daughter of Henry W. Chamberlain.  They have three children: Allen, Mary, and Theodore.  The family home is located at No. 65, North Franklin street.
     Fraternally our subject affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, being a member of both lodge and encampment.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 347-348
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

ROBERT WILCOX, a farmer of Porter township, Delaware county, was born at Homer, Licking county, Ohio, October 22, 1839, a son of Barnum and Julia (Claflin) Wilcox, the former a native of Wilkesbarre [sic], Pennsylvania, and the latter of Crawford county, that State.  Robert was left an orphan at the age of twelve years.  He received his education in the common schools, and has made his own way in the world.  After reaching a suitable age he followed any occupation that presented itself until the opening of the late war, when, August 26, 1864, he entered the One Hundred and Seventy-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served nine months.  The regiment was discharged at Goldsboro, North Carolina.  During his service Mr. Wilcox contracted lung trouble and other chronic diseases, from which he has never recovered.  Since the close of the struggle he has devoted his time to farming, stock-raising and the lumber business.
     August 19, 1860 at Reynoldsburg, Franklin county, Ohio, Mr. Wilcox was united in marriage with Eveline Spangler, who was born August 17, 1839, and reared in St. Albert’s township, that county, a daughter of John (deceased) and Abigail Spangler.  The latter resides in Porter township, Delaware county.  Our subject and wife have seven children, namely: Cloie Carter, of Kingston township, this county; Laura Needles, of Columbus, Ohio; Carrie Carpenter, of Porter township; Ellsworth, also of this township; Elethco Kaspar and Willford ArthurMr. Wilcox affiliates with the Republican party.  Mrs. Wilcox is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 228-229
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

S. M. WILCOX, a farmer of Porter township, Delaware county, was born near Wilkesbarre [sic], Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, October 12, 1829.  His father, Samuel Wilcox, was born near Poughkeepsie, Dutchess county, New York, in 1786, a son of Isaac Wilcox, a native of Vermont.  The mother of our subject was formerly Clarissa Montoine, a native of Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, and a daughter of Isaac Montoine, of French descent.  Samuel Wilcox and wife had twelve children.  The sons were: Bowen, S. M., Charles, Calvin and JamesCalvin was a soldier in the late war, and James served in the Florida Indian wars.  Samuel Wilcox and wife died in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, the former in 1848, and the latter in 1844.
     S. M. Wilcox, the subject of this sketch, was reared to farm life in his native county, and subsequently spent five years, from the age of sixteen to twenty-one, just the age (as he says) to form good habits, in boating on the Susquehanna river.  In 1851 he located in Richland county, Ohio, but since 1853 has resided in Porter township, Delaware county, where he own 168 acres of well-improved land.  Mr. Wilcox has served with honor and credit as a Justice of the Peace for twenty-seven years.  In his social relations, he is a member of the Masonic order, as follows, of Sparrow Lodge, No. 400, at Sunbury; Chapter Lodge, at Delaware; Ancient Accepted Scottish Rites, of Columbus, eighteenth degree; Ancient Accepted Scottish Rites, of Cincinnati, thirty-second degree, and Knights Templar, Mount Vernon Commanders, No. 1, of Columbus, Ohio.
     In Kingston township, this county, at the age of twenty-four years, our subject was united in marriage with Sarah Starks.  To that union were born five sons,—Allen, Porter, Oliver, Coreaell C. and GalvinCoreaell C. received a good education at Antioch College, and has been a popular and successful teacher for a number of years.  The wife and mother died in 1873.  Mr. Wilcox was again married, in Richland county, Ohio, to Cynthia, a daughter of James R. Gass.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 266-267
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

CAPTAIN C. W. WILES, superintendent of the Delaware Water Company, Delaware, Ohio, has been a resident of this city since 1892, when he came here to assume the duties of his present position.  He has been engaged in this line of work during the past seven years, is master of the business in its every detail, and is the right man in the right place.
     Captain Wiles was born in Cortland county, New York, and was reared on a farm, receiving a high-school and academic education.  He taught school one year.  He was just merging into young manhood when the civil war came on, and September 20, 1862, at the age of eighteen, he enlisted in Company L, Tenth New York Cavalry, and served with distinction until he was mustered out, his discharge being dated at Syracuse, New York, August 10, 1865.  He entered the service as a bugler; was commissioned Lieutenant in the command of General Davies in January, 1865; and after his return from the army was brevetted Captain by the Governor for his meritorious service.  He was in the army of the Potomac, and was in all the battles of that army from December, 1862, until the close of the war, and during all that time, although he was always at the front, he never received a wound nor was taken prisoner.  He, however, had four horses killed under him and at one time was knocked from his horse by a shell.  During the past twenty-five years he has served as secretary of the Association of Tenth New York Cavalry Veterans, and in 1893 he was elected Colonel of the same.
     At the close of the war he returned to his home in New York State, but on account of ill health he was unfitted for business for two years.  At the end of that time he engaged in the mercantile business in his native town, and continued the same some six years.  Then he sold out and about that time was appointed an officer in the Auburn State Prison, which position he filled three years.  After that he moved to Syracuse, New York, and entered the largest dry-goods house in that city, where he had charge of the black dress-goods department.  The close confinement of the store caused his health to break down, and he sought other occupation.  Under President Arthur’s administration he received an appointment in the railway mail service, and here once more his health failed him and he was compelled to resign his position.  He then returned to Cortland, New York, and soon after engaged with the water company, which was making an extension to its lines in that town.  He began by laying the pipe lines, and worked on up in the various departments of the business until he has attained his present position.  He now has full control of the company’s business at this point, and under his supervision its affairs have prospered.
     Captain Wiles is connected with various fraternal organizations.  He is a member of the F. & A. M., Marathon Lodge, No. 438, which he joined in 1866; Cortland Chapter, No. 194, R. A. M., and Cortland Commandery, No. 50, K. T.; the A. O. U. W., No. 351, Cortland, New York; and Grover Post, No. 98, G. A. R.  He has been a member of the post since 1868 and has served as its Commander several terms.  He is now Colonel of Encampment No. 107, U. V. L., of Delaware, Ohio.
     February 17, 1869, Captain Wiles was married in Cortland, New York, to Miss Anna Bates, and they have two children,—Nellie and Arthur.  The family are members of the Baptist Church.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 287-288
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

SAMUEL WILLEY, who owns and occupies a fine farm of 210 acres in Troy township, Delaware county, Ohio, was born on the farm on which he lives, February 19, 1844, and has been identified with agricultural pursuits here all his life.
     Mr. Willey is one of a family of five sons and five daughters of Henry and Elizabeth (Wiser) Willey, the former a native of Bucks county, Pennsylvania, and the latter of Ohio.  Henry Willey has been a resident of Ohio since his twelfth year.  Eight of their ten children are living.
     Samuel Willey was educated in the district schools and at Columbus, Ohio.  He was married in March, 1869, to Ellen E. Silverwood, who was born in Michigan and who came to Troy township, Delaware county, Ohio, when she was twelve years old.  Her education was received at Delaware.  Their children are Arthur J. and Eugene S.
     He affiliates with the Democratic party, and has served his township as Clerk and Trustee.  Both he and his wife are members of the Lutheran Church.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 499-500\
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

SHERMAN F. WILLIAMS, one of the prominent and well-known citizens of Delaware county, was born in Harlem township, this county, September 5, 1850, a son of Jacob Williams.  The latter was born in Sussex county, New Jersey, September 19, 1818, and for many years was a prominent citizen of this county.  His father, Abraham Williams, was also born in New Jersey, and was a member of an old Puritan family, noted in war and religion.  He married Sarah Ackerson.  His death occurred at Sunbury, Ohio, and his wife died in Franklin county, this State.  Jacob Williams, father of our subject, married Mary Fairchilds, who was born July 17, 1821, a daughter of B. M. Fairchilds, a soldier in the war of 1812.  Jacob and Mary Williams had nine children, six now living, viz.: Rose Sweet, of Salina, Kansas; Sherman F., our subject; Gusta Clapen, of Baldwin City, Kansas; James Finley, of Lawrence, Kansas; Ben A., a resident of the same place; and Jacob T., of Sunbury, Ohio.  The deceased children were: Catherine, Henry and John W.  Henry was a soldier in the late war, a member of the Thirty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and his death occurred in 1885.  Jacob Williams died September 15, 1890, at the age of seventy-two years.  He was a life-long farmer, was identified with the Republican party, held the office of Trustee, and was an active and zealous worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he served as Class-leader, Trustee and Steward.  Mrs. Williams departed this life March 2, 1889.
     S. F. Williams, the subject of this memoir, was reared on the old home farm.  He now owns 109½ acres of fine farming land in Harlem township.  October 22, 1871, he was united in marriage with Mary E. Wickham, who was born, reared and educated in Delaware, Ohio, a daughter of Joseph W. and Phoebe (Thompson) Wickham, natives respectively of Saratoga county, New York, and Sussex county, New Jersey.  They were the parents of eight children,—William W., Robert B., Mary E., Iola Z., Oscar, Eva A., Joseph and Capitola.  During the late war William W. was a member of the Thirty-second Ohio Infantry.  The father was also a soldier in that struggle, a member of Company I, Thirty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  In his political relations he was identified with the Democratic party.  His death occurred at Westerville, Ohio, at the age of sixty-five years.  Mr. and Mrs. Williams have had six children, viz.: W. W. and Jacob E. are successful teachers; Walter Sherman, Eva Maud; John W.; and Mary E., deceased in infancy.  Mr. Williams affiliates with the I. O. O. F., No. 404, of Galena.  Mrs. Williams is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, p. 267
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

REV. WILLIAM G. WILLIAMS, LL. D., Professor in the Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, Ohio, was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, February 25, 1822.  His parents, Samuel Williams, and Margaret (Troutner) Williams, were both natives of Pennsylvania, but came with their parents to Ohio early in the century.  The father was appointed clerk in the General Land Office, at Washington, about 1812, and, when the capitol was burned by the British in 1814, he was instrumental in saving the records of the office.  Subsequently, before the close of the war, he served in two campaigns in Ohio.  A few years later, his friend, Gov. Tiffin, of Chillicothe, was appointed Surveyor General of the Northwestern States and invited Mr. Williams to become his chief clerk.  This position Mr. Williams held under many administrations for nearly forty years: and in this time planned and superintended the Government surveys in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa.  From his long services, he became the best informed man in the country on all matters connected with the United States surveys in these States; and his testimony was sought in cases of doubt or litigation.  In 1828 the office was moved to Cincinnati, whither Mr. Williams accompanied it, and where he died in 1859, aged seventy-three years.  His widow lived to the advanced age of ninety-three, and when she died, of an accident, in Springfield, Ohio, in 1883, her faculties were still unimpaired.
     The subject of this sketch was a boy of six years when the family moved to Cincinnati.  Here he lived till 1844.  For some years he was a clerk with his father in the Surveyor General’s office, under General Robert T. Lytle, the father of the late General William H. Lytle, with whom the young Williams was for years a playmate and intimate companion.  The young clerk’s salary and earnings by extra work more than paid his way through college.  In 1844, at the age of twenty-two, he graduated at “Old Woodward,” a school which commanded respect for the character of its faculty and the excellence of its teaching.
     The year of his graduation he was elected to a professorship in San Augustine College, Texas, and also to the principalship of the preparatory department in the Ohio Wesleyan University.  The latter position he accepted, and in November of that year came to his new home in Delaware.  Here he has since lived, now fifty years, in one continuous service, in the Ohio Wesleyan University.  He is now, in 1894, the only member left of the first faculty in the service of the institution.  His colleagues, Dr. Frederick Merrick and Dr. L. D. McCabe, both older men than himself, came to the university one year later.  These three venerable teachers, respectively eighty-four, seventy-seven, and seventy-three years of age, stood side by side, in this university, for forty-nine years,—an instance of long co-service in college work without a parallel, perhaps, in any Western college.  Doctor Merrick died in March, 1894.
     In 1847, Mr. Williams was elected to the adjunct professorship of languages, and in 1850 to the full professorship of the Greek and Latin languages.  Later he gave regular instruction, for many years, in Hebrew, and also, for a time, in German.  In 1864 the Latin language was separated from his chair, which was thence forward styled “The Wright Professorship of the Greek Language and Literature;” and in 1872 he was appointed acting “Chrisman Professor of Biblical Literature.” These chairs bear the honored names of John R. Wright, Esq., of Cincinnati, and Mrs. Eliza Chrisman, now of Topeka, Kansas, who severally endowed them.  The duties incidental to both these chairs he has since performed.
     In 1873 Mr. Williams, unexpectedly to himself, was elected to a chair in the new Ohio State University at Columbus, at a much larger salary than he was receiving in Delaware.  While he was holding the acceptance under consideration, Mr. Wright generously increased the special endowment of the Greek chair, and negotiated for his release from the State University.
     Mr. Williams has been secretary of the Board of Trustees of the university for nearly fifty years, and was treasurer of the University for thirty-five years.  He was a member of the Delaware City School Board for twenty-one years, and for about the same length of time he was one of the Board of County School Examiners.  He also served for three years as one of the State Board of School Examiners.  His merits as a scholar and an educator have not been unrecognized in his own State.  In 1847 he received the degree of Master of Arts, in cursu, from Woodward College, and the honorary degree of Master of Arts from Miami University.  In 1872 the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws was conferred upon him by Baldwin University.  During the last twenty-five years his summer vacations have been largely devoted to work in teachers’ institutes in the various counties of the State.  In institute work his favorite topic is English grammar, to which subject he has given unremitting study during his whole professional life.  His presentation of the subject is entirely original, his methods logical, and his conclusions clear and certain.  In 1887 he published an English grammar, embodying his teachings, and this text book has received most favorable mention from many of the foremost scholars of the country.
     Mr. Williams became a member of the Central Ohio Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1856, and for twenty-eight years filled the office of Secretary of that body, and until he declined further re-election.  The minutes of the conference edited by him during that time fill seven large octavo volumes.
     When Governor Brough, in 1864, offered the Government 40,000 of the Ohio Volunteer Infantry for an “hundred-days’ service” Mr. Williams went out as Chaplain of the One Hundred and Forty-fifth Regiment.  The regiment was posted at Arlington Heights, opposite the city of Washington.  It was during this summer that the famous Arlington Military Cemetery was opened on General Lee’s place; and in the noble forest where the first graves were dug Mr. Williams conducted his first services as Chaplain.
     Soon after Mr. Williams came to Delaware he bought a tract of several acres on the western border of the town, along side of the place of his life-long friend and neighbor, Dr. Merrick.  This lot then had no house between it and the college campus; but is now quite within the city, which has grown far to the south and west of it.  Here at a distance from the street, he built his house, and planted a large fruit orchard as a screen from the street.  In this quiet retreat his family has been reared; here he has passed through the various vicissitudes of joy and sorrow incident to the experiences of a life of fifty years.
     In 1847 Mr. Williams married Miss Mary Ann Davis, of Cincinnati, Ohio, a woman of rare personal charms, and always a social favorite.  Three sons and three daughters were the fruit of this union, of whom all have left the family home, and are all happily engaged in the work of life, except the second daughter, who died in 1891.  Seven grandchildren have been added to the family roll.  Mrs. Williams died of a lingering illness in 1872.  In 1877 Mr. Williams was married a second time to Miss Delia A. Lathrop, of Syracuse, New York, at that time principal of the Cincinnati Normal School.  Two sons have been born of this marriage.  Mrs. Williams has for twelve years been engaged in the work of instruction in the university.  She is widely known also as an active worker and speaker in the Woman’s Home Missionary Society, of the Methodist Church.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Williams are members of the William Street Methodist Church; and both have for many years been workers in the Sunday school.
     The year 1894 was the Jubilee of the university, and of Mr. Williams’ services, which began at the organization of the institution.  This fiftieth anniversary of the university was celebrated by a great concourse of its friends, including several hundred of its alumni, some of whom, now themselves old men and full of honors, came across the continent to join in the celebration.  Exercises appropriate to the occasion extended through commencement week.  The senior professors, Dr. McCabe and Mr. Williams, received many congratulations for their long service, including a special vote of thanks from the Board of Trustees.  On Memorial Day Mr. Williams delivered a historical address, which was published in full in the college and city papers.  Since then, at the request of the trustees and the faculty, he has written a full history of the University.  This history is published in the Tenth Quinquiennial Catalogue of the university.
     In personal appearance Mr. Williams is of medium height, some what stout in build, of light complexion and blue eyes.  He is now quite bald and his beard is snowy white.  In disposition he is quiet, gentle, unaggressive and reticent; but where principle is concerned the mountains themselves are not more firm.  He is especially notable for an ardent attachment to his friends, for extreme caution in the adverse criticism of people, for personal integrity and uprightness of character, for perfect fearlessness of consequences in matters of duty, and for his hospitality.  He is never so happy as when his friends are at his fireside or seated at his table.  He seldom leaves home after his day’s duties are done.  His library, which is large and well chosen, is to him the most attractive of places.  His reading habit makes him an unusually well-informed man, in current topics as well as in general literature.
     As a writer his style is clear, direct, and logical.  When he writes it is because he has something which he wishes to say, and he says it in the most concise manner.  He has been a life-long student of the Greek Testament, and has written much on Biblical topics.
     As a teacher he is thorough, exacting, rapid, and while he gives no quarter to laziness or shamming, he is patient and painstaking to the last degree with students whom he believes to be faithful and earnest.  He is feared by the superficial and careless in his classes; but thoughtful pupils have only words of praise for the man who never allows a mistake to pass uncorrected.  Mr. Williams loves the work of teaching, and has often said that Chaucer’s description of the schoolmaster well describes his own attitude to his work: “And gladly would he learn and gladly teach.”
     He is still vigorous, young in heart, firm of step and of will; and there is every prospect that he has before him years of excellent service for the institution he has served so long, and for the world.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 15-18
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

SOLOMON WILLIAMSON, one of the well-known citizens of Porter township, Delaware county, was born in Trenton township, this county, September 28, 1832, a son of John Williamson, a native of Washington county, Pennsylvania.  He was a soldier in the war of 181 2, and his father participated in the Revolutionary struggle.  The mother of our subject, née Rosanna Ely, was a daughter of Michael Ely, who spent seven years in the Revolutionary war.  Mr. and Mrs. John Williamson had the following children: Sylvester Madison, Peter, William, Lucinda, Eliza, Christena, Susan, Maria, James, Michael, John, Henry, Solomon, David, Mary, and Jane.  Three of the sons were soldiers in the late war,—John, Michael, and SolomonJohn enlisted September 11, 1862, in Company H, One Hundred and Twenty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was honorably discharged in June, 1865.  Michael served in the Eighteenth United States Infantry, was wounded at Stone River, and died at Columbus, Ohio.  John Williamson, father of our subject, was a millwright by trade, having built the first gristmills in Delaware and Knox counties.  His death occurred at the age of eighty-eight years.  His wife died at the age of eighty-four years.
     Solomon Williamson, the subject of this sketch, was reared on the home farm in Trenton township.  At Lincoln’s call for 300,000 men he enlisted, August 18, 1862, in the One Hundred and Twenty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company H, and during his eight months of service suffered from pneumonia and rheumatism.  He was discharged on account of disability, and returned home, but has never recovered from the effects of his camp life and disease contracted in the service.  Before entering the army he was one of the strongest men in the county, but is now an invalid.  In 1883 Mr. Williamson located on his present farm of ninety-four acres, where he has all the necessary farm improvements.  In his political relations he affiliates with the Democratic party, socially is a member of the G. A. R., and religiously is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
     Mr. Williamson was married at the age of twenty-two years to Mary E. Nowel, a native of Columbiana county, Ohio, and a daughter of Henry Nowel.  They had four children,—Savena, deceased at the age of five years; Mary Ann, who died at the age of twenty-six years; Clinton D., at home; and one deceased in infancy.  The wife and mother died September 11, 1887.  In December, 1888, Mr. Williamson was united in marriage to Miss Rosantha Smith, a native of Berlin township, Delaware county, and the only daughter of Rodney Smith, one of the early settlers of this county, but now deceased.  Our subject and wife have had seven children, viz.: Lulu Elizabeth, Sirena, Charlie, May, Lucy and Clarence Rodney.  The last named died in infancy.  Mrs. Williamson departed this life at the age of forty-four years.  She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 490-491
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

HON. R. K. WILLIS.—A native of Concord township, Delaware county, Ohio, where he was born September 26, 1843, it is most compatible that there be incorporated in this volume specific mention of him whose name initiates this review, for he has passed his entire life in the county, has been closely identified with its interests and progress, and has attained to a position of marked prominence and honor.
     The father of our subject was B. H. Willis, who was born in Massachusetts, May 4, 1805, in the old paternal homestead which had been in the possession of the family for many years and in which his father, Asa Willis, was also ushered into the world.  The family is of English origin, but the fact that the American branch became thoroughly in touch with the independent Colonial spirit is evidenced in the records, which show that the great-grandfather of our subject was an active participant and valiant soldier in the war of 1812.  Asa Willis married Susan Howe, who was also a native of the old Bay State, and whose father was a participant in the war of the Revolution.
     B. H. Willis, father of our subject, passed his adolescent days in Massachusetts; later on he took up his residence in Vermont, where he remained two years and where he was united in marriage to Susan Bartlett, who was born in Worcester county, Massachusetts, the daughter of Joel Bartlett, a native of the same State and a soldier in the war of 1812.  After his marriage, which was celebrated at Dorset, Vermont, B. H. Willis removed to Knox county, Ohio, where he remained two years and then, in 1840, located in Delaware county, where he has continued to reside up to the present time, having attained the venerable age of eighty-nine years (1894).  Mrs. Willis obeyed death’s inexorable summons in 1889, passing away at the age of eighty-seven years.
     They had ten children, namely: Brainard; Jay; Henry; R. K.; Frank; E. R., a prominent clergyman, residing in California; Cornelia, now Mrs. Cutler; Emily S.; J. B., a resident of Boston, Massachusetts; and P. A.  The last named served during the late war as Surgeon in the Forty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and his death occurred in April, 1876.  Five of the children have been successful and popular school teachers, in which vocation their father and mother had also been engaged in their youth, the latter having been thus engaged in Vermont during a period of seven years.  Both parents became members of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1824, and their lives at all times exemplified in good works the faith professed.  The venerable father, in the golden autumn of his days, enjoys the respect and affection of all who have known and appreciated his sterling worth of character.
     R. K. Willis, the immediate subject of this review, grew to man’s estate in his native county, receiving a good common-school education and gaining even more from the associations of a cultured and refined home.  In September, 1863, at the age of twenty years, he went forth in defense of his country’s honor, enlisting for service in the late war as a member of the Forty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, but being subsequently transferred to the Eighty-third regiment, with which he served in the Gulf Department.  He was honorably discharged in August, 1865, after which he returned home and for a time continued his studies in school.
     Since 1868 Mr. Willis has maintained his home on his present farm, which comprises 280 acres of the best land in Liberty township.  The place is thoroughly well improved, and the far-stretching, fertile fields show evidence of the careful and well-directed attention given to their cultivation and bespeak the substantial prosperity of the proprietor.  The family residence, which was erected at a cost of $8,000, is situated upon a natural building site, is of modern architecture and provided with modern accessories and improvements.—standing as one of the finest and most attractive country homes in the county.  Mr. Willis is progressive and brings the most intelligent methods to bear in carrying on the work of his farm, devoting special attention to the raising of thoroughbred Percheron horses, Red Pollard cattle and Merino Delain sheep.
     In his political adherency our subject is strongly arrayed in the support of the Republican party and its principles, and he has taken an active interest and prominent part in directing the policies of his party in a local way.  In 1888 he was elected a Representative to the State Legislature, proving a capable and acceptable official.  He was made Chairman of the Finance Committee of the Lower House, but resigned this position in favor of Alexander Betsford.  Fraternally Mr. Willis is identified with the Knights of Pythias and the Grand Army of the Republic.  He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, in which he has been an Elder.
     Turning briefly to the domestic life of our subject, we find that in 1868 he was united in marriage to Miss Alice E. Tone, the only child of M. B. and Orilla (Goodrich) Tone, both of whom are now deceased.  Mr. Tone was a man of prominence in Knox county, Ohio, was a pioneer in the raising of sheep in said county, and a prosperous and influential citizen.  Mr. and Mrs. Willis had four children: Myrtle, wife of J. E. Morse, of Boston, Massachusetts; Roy E., who is also a resident of that city; Grace O. and Rolla G., who are at home.  The wife and mother died February 25, 1892, having been an active temperance worker, a devoted member of the Baptist Church, a true, noble woman, whose loss can only be appreciated by those to whom had been granted the privilege of a closer acquaintanceship, with its consequent high regard and affection.  Mr. Willis married for his second wife Miss Mamie, daughter of Andrew J. Harter, of this county, and she now presides over the attractive home.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 416-418
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

JOHN L. WOLFLEY, Postmaster of Delaware, Ohio, and one of her prominent and highly respected citizens, has been identified with this city all his life.  Of him and his ancestry we make record as follows:
     John L. Wolfley was born in Delaware, Ohio, April 16, 1848, son of John and Hattie (Allen) WolfleyLewis Wolfley, the grandfather of our subject, was born and reared in Switzerland.  He came to America when a young man, and here married Miss Mary Toat, of Pennsylvania.  After residing at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, a short time, they came west as far as Lancaster, Ohio.  Subsequently he decided upon a location in Delaware county, and purchased a farm in Radnor township, returning at once for his family, but dying at Lancaster that same year, 1817, in middle life.  The following year his widow removed with her family to the newly purchased farm.  She had six children, all natives of Ohio except George, the oldest, who was born in Pennsylvania, and all of whom have passed away with one exception—Mary, widow of John Johnson, who resides with her son-in-law, Sheriff Griffith, of this county.  John, the third born in the family and the father of our subject, was a native of Lancaster, Ohio, the date of his birth being April 17, 1817.  He grew to manhood on a farm in this county, and received his education in the common schools.  When he was eighteen he returned to Lancaster, Ohio, and entered upon a seven years’ apprenticeship to the tanner’s trade.  His industry enabled him to buy the last two years of his time, after which he started on foot through the timber for Marion, this State, taking his tools on his back and having only fifty cents in his pocket.  At Marion he worked as a journeyman one year.  Then he came to Delaware and continued work at his trade, and subsequently formed a partnership with Wassatt Lee, the father of Lieutenant-Governor Lee of Ohio.  Together they carried on the tannery business for two years.  In 1842 Mr. Wolfley established a tannery of his own, which he operated until 1867, when his two sons. Silas D. and John L., succeeded to the business, he holding one-third until April 1, 1869, when the sons assumed entire control, under the firm name of S. D. Wolfley & Brother.  February 1, 1892, John L. withdrew from the firm in order to give his attention to his official duties, he having been appointed Postmaster in April, 1891.  The firm, however, had discontinued the tannery business in 1882, and from that time dealt in hides and leather.  S. D. Wolfley is still dealing in hides and furs.  Having followed the history of the business started by John Wolfley up to the present time, we turn back to make further mention of him.
     John Wolfley was a man of strong personality.  Religiously, he was a stanch Methodist.  He superintended the erection of the first church edifice built on the Williams street site.  Politically, he was a Democrat previous to 1854, and after that was a Republican.  He took an active interest in political matters, and was a public-spirited man.  During the Rebellion he was very efficient in relief work.  He served for a number of years as Township Trustee.  Of his private life, we record that he was twice married.  February 27, 1834, he wedded Miss Julia Ann Adams, who died in January, 1836.  His marriage to Miss Hettie Allen occurred February 23, 1843, and their children are as follows: Oscar A., who is engaged in the restaurant business in Columbus, Ohio: Silas D., of Delaware, whose business has already been referred to; John Luckey, the subject of our sketch; Jedediah D., an artist of some note, who died in Munich, Europe, January 13, 1873; George W., engaged in the insurance business in Columbus, Ohio; Hettie, widow of Dr. John O. McDowell, of this city.  John Wolfley passed to his reward May 25, 1880, at the age of seventy-one years.  His widow is still an honored resident of Delaware.  Her people, the Allens, came from New England.  Dr. Silas Allen, her grandfather, was born in Canterbury, Connecticut, where he grew up and married Mary Cleveland.  They were the parents of eight children.  He moved to Vermont and, later, in 1801, to Royalton, Fairfield county, same State, where he laid out the town and where he practiced medicine for many years.  He died in 1824, at the age of seventy-one years.  His wife died in Royalton in the fall of 1843, at the advanced age of ninety.  Whiting Allen, their second child, was born April 16, 1779, and died in August, 1860.  He married Mehitable Searle, daughter of Rev. John and Mehitable (Dunbar) Searle, of Stoneham, Massachusetts.  Whiting Allen and his wife had a family of eleven children, viz: Silas D., who died at the age of fifty; Laura, at the age of eighty-six; Eliza, at the age of eighty; Oscar S., at the age of thirty-four; Harvey S., at the age of fourteen; one daughter in infancy; Warren C., at forty-seven; another daughter in infancy; Hetty, who was born November 21, 1815, and who is still living; John W., who died at the age of seventy; and Jedediah, who is now seventy-two, and who is a resident of Indianapolis, Indiana.  Whiting Allen came to Delaware county, Ohio, in 1846, and here passed the rest of his life in retirement.  His widow died March 24, 1852, at the age of seventy-six years.  Having thus briefly outlined the ancestry of our subject, we now turn for a glimpse of his own life.
     John L. Wolfley received a high-school education in his native town, and early in life learned his father’s trade and became connected with him in business.  This connection, as above stated, was continued until 1892.  In the spring of 1873 he began traveling for the firm of which he was a member, and for a number of years was on the road in the northern and central part of Ohio, representing his business in seventeen counties.
     Ever since he became of age Mr. Wolfley has been actively identified with the Republican party in Delaware county, and, with the exception of four years, has all this time been a member of the Central and Executive Committees.  For two years he was Chairman of the Central and Executive County Committee and two years Chairman of the City Committee.  He served five years as Treasurer of the Central Committee.  He has been a delegate to each and every Congressional convention since 1874, and a number of times to State conventions.  In January, 1883, he was appointed Commissioner to fill a vacancy and served the rest of the term most acceptably, after which he declined nomination for that office.
     Mr. Wolfley is prominently identified with various fraternal organizations.  He has been a Mason since 1885, and for about a quarter of a century has been a Knight of Pythias and an Odd Fellow.  He was the first one initiated in Lenape Lodge, No. 23, K. of P.  He has a membership in Hiram Lodge, No. 18, and Delaware Chapter, No. 25, A. F. and A. M. and Alentangy [sic] Lodge, No. 53, Delaware Encampment, No. 52, and Delaware Canton, No. 7, I. O. O. F.  He is a charter member of Delaware Canton, and is also a charter member of National Union, No. 393, Whitstone [sic] Lodge.  His church relations are with the Methodists, he being a member of Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church.  During the first four years of the existence of this church he was its Recording Steward, and at present he is one of its Trustees.
     November 16, 1871, Mr. Wolfley married Miss May Galleher, daughter of N. J. Galleher, and they have two sons, John Willard and Walter G.  The older son is a student in the Ohio Wesleyan University and is making a specialty of electricity.
     For twenty-two years Mr. Wolfley has resided on North Union street, where he has a comfortable and attractive home.  He is also interested in a farm near the city and has real estate in Bowling Green, Ohio.  Besides being the owner of this property, he is a stockholder in the Deposit Banking Company of Delaware.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 84-86
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

SILAS D. WOLFLEY, dealer in hides and furs, Delaware, Ohio, was born in Delaware county, this State, March 6, 1846, son of John and Hattie (Allen) Wolfley.  He received his education in Delaware, and when he was fifteen years old began to learn the trade of tanner in his father’s tannery.  This was during the civil war, and, young as he was, he felt it his duty to enter the Union ranks, which he did May 2, 1864, at the age of seventeen.  He enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Forty-fifth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out August 24, 1864, at Camp Chase.  Re-enlisting February 3, 1865, he served until September 18, 1865, when he was mustered out at Nashville, Tennessee, as Corporal.  His first service was near Washington and the latter part of his army career was in Tennessee and Georgia.  The war over, he returned to his home in Delaware and resumed work at his trade, with which he has been connected up to the present time.  He has been at the head of the hide and leather firm of S. D. Wolfley since its establishment, having the entire supervision of the business.  At the present he confines his operations to the handling of hides and furs.  Mr. Wolfley has also dealt considerably in real estate in this city and county and also at Bowling Green, Ohio.
     He was married in Fairfield county, Ohio, March 13 1867, to Maggie Allen, daughter of Lyman P. and Eliza Allen.  They have had two children, viz.: Clara, deceased wife of Dr. W. N. Leonard, of Delaware; and Mary, wife of Frank Huff, also of this city.
     The family are members of Williams Street Methodist Episcopal Church, of which Mr. Wolfley has been identified for over thirty years.  He is also an Odd Fellow and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, being a member of the George B. Torrence Post, No. 60. His political affiliations are with the Republican party.
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 372-373
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

CLICK HERE to Return to
CLICK HERE to Return to
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights