A Part of Genealogy Express
Delaware County, Ohio

History & Genealogy


Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio -
Publ. Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co.


J. B. TAYLOR, who is one of the rising young physicians of Broadway, Ohio, and whose enviable reputation is recognized by the public and by his professional brethren as well, was born in Delaware county, Ohio, in the town of Norton, Dec. 6, 1846, and is a son of Elam and Mary Ann (Glaze) Taylor.  The maternal grandparents were natives of Pennsylvania.  The paternal grandparents, Joel and Elizabeth (Irvin) Taylor, were natives of Connecticut, and came to Ohio about the year 1810, locating on the farm now owned by John Grady, near Inskip's Corners, Marlboro township, Delaware county.  Elam Taylor came into possession of that place on his father's death, but lost it by going bail for a friend.  He was a man of considerable local influence, whose sagacity and judgment were much respected, and for many years he held the office of Justice of the Peace in Troy township, Delaware county.  He later resided in Norton and there held the same office.  He is well known throughout the surrounding country as a most successful veterinary surgeon, and is a straightforward, honorable man.  His wife died in 1850.
     The Taylor family was well and ably represented during the late war, for the father and four sons donned the blue and aided in the defense of the Union, the aggregate of their terms of service amounting to more than twelve years.  Elam Taylor enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Twenty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, participated in the battle of Perryville, Kentucky, and soon thereafter was honorably discharged on account of physical disability.  He was born near Norton, Delaware county, Jan. 24, 1815, and died June 6, 1884.  Adam H., his eldest child, born Dec. 4, 1837, enlisted in Apr., 1861, in Company A, Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was transferred to the Second United States Cavalry, in which he served until the close of the war.  He is still living.  George Albert enlisted in the same company and regiment, and was one of the first two volunteers from Marlboro township.  He was rejected at Camp Dennison on account of his small stature, but again enlisted, June 13, 1861, in Company C, Twenty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, at Delaware, Ohio.  At the battle of Chickamauga he was taken prisoner, confined in Libby prison, taken thence to Danville, and later to Andersonville prison, Georgia, at which place he died from scurvy, in September, 1864.  He now lies in an unmarked grave, like many of the brave boys who left pleasant homes and laid down their lives on the altar of their country.  Henry Walter Taylor enlisted in Company B, Forty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Sept. 18, 1861, at Delaware, Ohio; was captured at Carrion Cross bayou, Louisiana, Nov. 3, 1863, and confined in a rebel prison at Austin, Texas, for a period of six months.  He was discharged Mar. 9, 1866, at Galveston, Texas, and, remaining in the South, afterward married a Southern lady, by whom he had two children.  His father-in-law, a rank rebel, killed him near Summit, Mississippi, in 1872, and he was buried at that place.  His wife and son now reside in Gloster, Mississippi, and his daughter, Dora, was brought North by Dr. Taylor and has married a Northern man, Mr. W. R. Willis, of Broadway, Ohio.  Mary E. Taylor, the only daughter of Elam Taylor, was born Dec. 4, 1850.
     The gentleman whose name heads this record was early thrown upon his own resources.  Upon his mother's death, which occurred when he was scarcely four years of age, the family was broken up, and the little boy was thus thrown upon the cold indeed he found them.  He lived with various families until his eleventh year, and during that time manifested great aptitude for study, easily mastering the contents of the books to which he had access and making the facts therein gleaned his own.  During his eleventh year his father placed him with a certain family to work for his board and clothes, with the understanding that he was to be treated as a member of the family, and was to receive a horse, saddle and bridle when he had attained his majority.  The aged lady, who presided over the household, however, proved to be of a very eccentric turn of mind and he was abused, mistreated and whipped most unmercifully and so completely was he held in subjection that he did not dare to give a true account of the circumstances, but when questioned concerning his treatment, would invariably reply "I like my home."  For more than four years he endured that treatment without complaining, for he believed himself a "bound boy" and did not dare run away.  It was his earnest desire to attend school, but he was permitted to do so only through a very short portion of the year.  H managed, however, to secure books from the township library and other sources, and thus succeeded in gaining knowledge which has proven of incalculable benefit to him in later years.
     When, at the outbreak of the Rebellion, his brothers enlisted in the service, he ran away from his so-called "home," but again he was bound out, and found that fair promises ended in disappointment.  He worked all winter, receiving no money and little clothing, so he left and went to his father's home (the father having been again married) and attended school until the succeeding spring, when he engaged with J. A. Schaaf, Commissioner of Marion county, Ohio, receiving a salary of $6. per month.  Here Mr. Taylor found friends, and although his meager earnings went to support his father's family, yet he obtained many advantages, chief of which was permission to attend school.  The kindness of this family toward the outcast will never be forgotten.  In the autumn of 1862 his father enlisted in the service, and thus the support of the family devolved entirely upon him.  The Taylors suffered greatly that winter, and often during the long cold days they had nothing to sustain life except potatoes and black coffee.  But all things must have an end, and at last the long, weary winter of 1862-3 passed away.  The father returned home, broken down in health, and soon after the subject of this sketch, who had frequently attempted to enlist, but who had been rejected on account of his age and size, was accepted as a member of Company G, Eighty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under Lieutenant James W. Mills, at Ashley, Ohio, and served as a bugler during the war.
     When peace was once more restored, Mr. Taylor returned to the place of his nativity, for home he had none, and began work upon a farm.  It was his desire to enter school, but as he had given all his earnings to his father to aid in support of the family, he could not carry out this cherished plan.  On the 21st day of November, he lost all of his few effects in a fire, barely escaping with his life.  In the winter of 1865 he entered school, and in the summer worked upon a farm, his time being thus passed until his twenty-third year, - the privilege of attending school being granted him by reason of his service in the army when a minor.  At the age of twenty-three he began working for an uncle, John Brunbridge, a wealthy farmer of Marion county, and this proved a fortunate move on his part, for his two cousins, "Lide" and "Joe," talented young ladies, graduates of Granville, Ohio, Female University, took quite a deep interest in him, placed at his disposal a good library, and aided him in his studies in many ways.
     During this period of his career Mr. Taylor accumulated some money, and with it he later purchased a house and lot in Norton, which he placed at the disposal of his father and his family, and which was occupied by them for many years, without rent.
     Our subject was industrious and was now meeting with fair success, but was not content with his lot, - wishing to enter upon a professional career.  From overwork and study his health began to fail, and he was advised by Dr. E. H. Hyatt, of Delaware, Ohio, to study medicine, and not having the ready money to pay for instruction, he began studying with Dr. Hyatt, paying for the teaching by office work and such other assistance as he could render his preceptor.  Subsequently he took a course of lectures in the Columbus Medical College, during the term of 1878-9, and left that school with ill health and without a cent of money, but he borrowed $12, and with indomitable energy walked to Green Camp, Marion county, Ohio, at which place he entered the office of Dr. Free, with the privilege of "making what he could."  He went there an entire stranger, without recommendations or diploma, and, through his practice was not heavy, he made enough to defray expenses and won many warm friends and established a good reputation as an esteemed citizen and a successful practitioner.  He was there elected and served as Township Clerk.
     Returning to college in the winter of 1880, he was graduated Mar. 3, 1881, and then again went to Green Camp, but hearing of a scarlet-fever epidemic at Broadway, Ohio, he came to this village, where he was soon battling with the disease.  At the earnest request of many of the citizens of Broadway, he located in the town, Mar. 14, 1881, and is still engaged in a lucrative practice here.  His reputation both as a medical practitioner and surgeon is among the best, and he ranks deservedly high among his professional brethren.  He has successfully performed some very difficult operations in surgery and although a Democrat, was appointed an examining surgeon for pensions under President Harrison's administration, and is still retained on the Board of Pension Examiners, at Marysville, Ohio.
     Dr. Taylor is now serving his second term as Township Treasurer, and is connected with various fraternal organizations, being identified with the Masonic order; the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias and Grand Army of the Republic.  In addition to his business as a physician he is proprietor of a drug store in Broadway, and also owns a farm near by.
     On the 23d of February, 1882, an important event occurred in the life of Dr. Taylor, - his marriage to Miss Emma L. Wolford, of Green Camp, Ohio, daughter of J. G. Wolford, and their union has been blessed with three children, namely: Arvilla Blanche, born Oct. 25, 1883, died Sept. 1, 1884; Mamie Alberto, born Aug. 18, 1885; and Hazel Lillian, born May 29, 1888.  The family is one of prominence in this community, and Dr. and Mrs. Taylor occupy a very enviable position in social circles.
     The Doctor has lived an eventful life, and in the school of experience has learned many valuable lessons.  His childhood was one of hardship and trial; his youth a period of struggle; and his manhood a season of well-deserved prosperity.  A man of kindly and genial nature, he is generous to a fault; - owing perhaps to the broad sympathy which was awakened by his own early privations. 
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union and Morrow, Ohio - Publ. Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co. 1895

ABRAM THOMSON.—In northern Maryland, at the village of Taneytown, Abram Thomson was born, on the 15th of October, 1814.  In this tranquil, old-time village, which was drawn, in spite of itself, into the turbulent current of history, Abram Thomson spent the first seventeen years of his life.  He was the second son of Hugh Thomson, who was an officer of the Maryland forces, actively participated in the defense of his native State and its commercial metropolis against the British invasion; and at the time of the birth of our subject, was absent with his command at the front, and very shortly after that event was sent home wounded from the scene of conflict.  His opportunities for education were meager.  There being no public schools at that time in Maryland, he could attend only the private schools, which were very inferior.  In these he received a mere rudimentary training; beyond that he was self-taught.  Having a passionate fondness for reading, he was naturally drawn to the village printing office, in which at the age of fifteen he accepted an opportunity to learn the business of printing.  He accompanied the office on its removal to Frederick, and from thence, at a later date, to Westminster.  From that place he emigrated, at the age of eighteen, to New York city, where he was employed as a compositor in some of the leading printing offices, including that of General James Watson Webb’s daily Courier and Enquirer, which was then the leading commercial newspaper of the country, and was absorbed in what is now the New York World.
     By diligent use of the opportunities which he thus obtained, the young Marylander became thoroughly proficient in his craft.  He acknowledged no superior as a compositor, and was particularly expert in the management of difficult manuscripts, among which he had to deal with the hand writing [sic] of Hezekiah Niles and Horace Greeley, both of whom were then a chirographic terror to ordinary type-setters.
     Summoned by the illness of his father, he returned from New York to his native village and after a brief stay there, in September, 1834, at the solicitation of George Sharp, who then published the only paper in that place, The Gazette, he went to Delaware, Ohio.  Went into partnership with Mr. Sharp and after a short continuation of the connection it was terminated by the sale of Mr. Sharp’s interests to Judge David T. Fuller.  Two years later Mr. Thomson purchased Judge Fuller’s interest, and became sole proprietor, which he has remained from that time to this excepting a period of six years, from 1865 to 1871, during which a one-half interest was held by Mr. Alfred E. Lee.
     In politics he was first a Whig and then a Republican.  In 1847-8 he represented Delaware county in the lower branch of the Ohio Legislature, and in 1849-50 represented the district composed of the counties of Franklin and Delaware in the State Senate.  Was a member of the Whig State Central Committee, when, in 1854, it assembled at the capitol and finally disbanded the organization, merging it into the Union party, which soon after took the name of Republican.  In 1860 he was one of the Presidential Electors and with his colleagues cast the vote of the State for Abraham Lincoln.  In 1861 he was appointed Postmaster of the city of Delaware, and was reappointed in 1865, both appointments being made by President Lincoln.  Since retiring from that position, which he filled with honor to himself and benefit to the public service, his time and attention have been absorbed by his duties as editor and proprietor of the Delaware Gazette, of which, for several years past, he has issued semi-weekly and daily editions.
     In local affairs Mr. Thomson has borne a conspicuous part.  The movements and efforts which brought about the construction of the Cleveland, Columbus & Cincinnati Railway had his active participation.  During the war of the Rebellion he not only performed excellent service through the medium of his paper in supporting the prosecution of the war, but gave ready heart and hand to the comfort of the soldiers in the field and their dependent friends and families.  On several occasions he has served in the town council, as an officer of the township in which he resides, and as a member—usually chairman or secretary—of the Whig and Republican County Central Committee.
     When the State Industrial Home for Girls was established in 1869, Mr. Thomson became, by appointment of Governor Hayes, a member of its first Board of Trustees.  Mr. Thomson served as member and secretary of this board continuously for nine years—1869-1878.
     Mr. Thomson comes of a long-lived ancestry.  He is one of a family of nine children.  At Delaware, on the 17th of December, 1839, he married Miss Delia Storm, who died March 7, 1848, leaving three children—two sons and a daughter.  On the first of December. 1852, he was married at Urbana, Ohio, to Miss Sallie M. Wright, of which two sons were born, who with their mother, and the children of the first marriage, are all yet living.
     For the science and practice of horticulture Mr. Thomson has always had great fondness.  Such have been his aptitude for this subject and the attention he has paid to it that for many years he has been recognized as a standard authority on horticultural matters.  In the development of the new varieties of flowers and fruits he has not only had infinite pleasure but marked success.  Within the narrow limits of a town lot he has been able to produce at one time as many as eighty different species of pears—mostly on dwarf trees—of which he made a specialty.  His grapery has been noted for the rarity, beauty and luxuriance of its products.  The so-called Delaware grape, which has acquired fame both in this country and Europe as an unsurpassed hardy variety, owes its discovery, development and introduction to him.
     Such, in brief, is the story of this useful life.  It inculcates many valuable lessons and sets forth many claims to our respect, but none, perhaps of weightier import than that which is expressed in the words once uttered in the presence of the writer by a distinguished citizen of Delaware, now no more: “Abram Thomson is the soul of integrity.”
Source: Memorial Record of the Counties of Delaware, Union & Morrow, Ohio; Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1895, pp. 43-45
Contributed by a Generous Genealogist.

CLICK HERE to Return to
CLICK HERE to Return to
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights