..


OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS


A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Logan County, Ohio

History & Genealogy


 


BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
History of Logan County and Ohio
Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers
186 Dearborn Street
1880
w/ some illustrations and portraits
 
A B C D E F G H IJ K L M N OPQ R S T U V W XYZ

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1880 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to RETURN to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

Liberty Twp. -
DR. J. ORDWAY retired physician; West Liberty.  The data that we have been able to obtain of Dr. Ordway is of exceeding brevity, but the early history of Logan Co. scatters his name on many pages of this book.  He was born in New Hampshire, June 22, 1800.  His father, John, died when he was three years old, and he was thrown out on life's current without the care of the father; hence, his school days were limited as he must care for the necessaries of life.  He remained with his mother until the age of 8, and then went to live with his grandfather Ordway, who sent him to one of the old pioneer log cabins, where he learned his A. B. C.'s; at the expiration of two years he returned to his mother, she having, in the meantime, married Robert Christie; he remained at home until 16, during that time he was engaged on the farm, but his active mind sought other labors, and he left the parental roof and began attending school at Springfield, O. (the family having moved to Clark Co. some time prior to that time).  Extreme poverty brought this young student to want, and he readily sought night employment in a cooper shop, and during the day would attend his recitations; his labor at night would bring him enough means to pay his board; this he continued for two years; he became very apt in his classes, and found some moments for extra labors, which he improved by reading medicine; at the age of 18 he began teaching school in the country at $20 per month, and during his spare time was reading medicine with Dr. Lawrence, of Springfield; the latter he continued for three years, which was the requirement of the law; he th3en went before a board of censors at Dayton, Ohio, and was examined, and got an excellent grade; he at once began practice with his preceptor for a short time and then, May 28, 1828, began at West Liberty, being then the first and only practitioner at this place; he soon gained a wide practice, and made himself known as a skilled and efficient physician; during a period of three months, he rode down three horses, and enjoyed only nine nights sleep during that time; his extensive practice began to injure his health, and he began to withdraw about 1844 or '45, and finally booked the last account in 1849, and devoted his entire time to merchandising, which he had entered prior to that time.  In this vocation he was successful, and accumulated quite a little fortune; he retired from business in 1862, on account of ill health, and since that time has turned his attention to farming 250 acres of land in Logan and Champaign Cos.; he owns three lots 50x150, 1 acre lot in the north part of town, two other lots and buildings, all in West Liberty, making in all, together with his lands, a valuation of $40,000 to $50,000, all of which is the fruit of his own labors.  He was married, Jan. 7, 1830, to Sabrina E. McGruder; she died in1848; he was again married, Mar. 8, 1849, to Mandane S. Fish; she is still living, and has been of great assistance in accumulating their fortune.  Dr. O. was always eager to witness anything of interest, and one time he walked twelve miles to see an elephant, perhaps the first that ever came through this country in a show.  He has served in some small township offices, as Treasurer and Town Councilman.  The present Mrs. Ordway was born in 1822, in Randolph, Orange Co., Vt.  Her father, James Fish, died when she was nine months old, and her mother, Achsah (Lamson) Fish, was married again in 1835, to Washington Granger, a local Methodist Episcopal minister.  She had by her former marriage six children, four of whom survive.  Her mother died in 1868, and was a member of the Christian Church.  Mrs. Ordway came in Oct. 1845 to Urbana, with William Harbach (an uncle).  She there taught school until married; she was educated at the academy at Randolph Corners, in Vermont; she early took an interest in singing, and became a very efficient alto singer; she was often selected as an alto representative to musical conventions in the East; at her ripe old age, now, she has a very distinct and sweet voice, and is the leading alto singer in the Methodist choir at this place.  She and the doctor have been identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church for two score or more years, the financial interest of which denomination has been benefited by their relationship, as well as their connection morally and otherwise.  The doctor cast his first vote for John Q. Adams, for President, and has always taken an interest in the official selections, yet, during all this, he has never sought office.  In Dr. Ordway we find a marked instance of a self-made man, talented, energetic and careful; educated by his own energies and perseverance; sociable and affable in his intercourse with all, of good legal abilities, fine physical organization.  The hand of time has touched him gently.  J. B. McGruder, the father-in-law of our subject, came to Clarke Co., O., in 1827, was transferred soon after to Champaign Co., and thence to Logan Co., in 1830; he was a large shareholder in the east and brought with him Maria Hawkins (one of his old slaves) and three children - Windsor, Margaret and Stacey; her husband was taken south.  She now lives in Washington, D. C.  Father McGruder was an early merchant at this place, and had his business room where is now the present site of Woodward's boot and shoe store.  We clip the following from a Logan Co. paper: "We have the melancholy duty of announcing the death, by suicide, on the night of Tuesday last, 1850, of the Rev. J. B. McGruder, of West Liberty, in this county.  The deceased was an elderly man, but had enjoyed remarkably god health until within a comparatively short period, when he sank into deep melancholy, and in a fit of derangement put an end to his existence by hanging.  No event, we presume, has ever produced so deep a sensation among the citizens in the vicinity in which he lived, and were he had resided for more than twenty years.  He was universally respected and beloved.  He has been, we know not for how long, but we presume for the greater part of his life, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and adorned its doctrines by his daily walk and conversation.  He was one of the most earnest and most devoted Christians that we have ever known.  Whenever good was to be effected, whenever anything was to be done, promotive of the temporal and eternal welfare of his fellow man, father McGruder was found among the most earnest, efficient and unwearying laborers.  But his earthly career is now ended, and he is gone to his reward.  He leaves many sad hearts to mourn his unfortunate and melancholy death."
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page  719)
Perry Twp. -
WALTER PAINTER, farmer; P. O., East Liberty; was born Apr. 14, 1811, while on his way to this State from Lancaster Co., Pa.  His parents were Abraham and Sarah (Branson) Painter, both natives of the Old Dominion.  The family, upon their arrival here, first located at what is now known as East Liberty, making a purchase soon after their arrival.  In 1817, they moved to Jefferson Tp., and located land where Alexander Jamison now lives.  This land was finally "swapped" for the place now owned by Philip Crouse, west of Zanesfield.  This his father cleared up, and remained on the same until his death, which occurred Sept. 4, 1834.  There were eight children in the family, Walter, being the fourth in number.  His father, Abraham, was born in Frederick Co., Va., Apr. 1, 1781.  His wife, Sarah, was born in the same county, April 8, 1785.  She died in Zane Tp., Nov. 25, 1845.  Their marriage took place Sept. 2, 1807.  Walter left home at 22.  On Sept. 11, 1834, he was married to Hope Haines, who was born Feb. 19, 1816, in Champaign Co., daughter of Joseph and Rachel (Ballinger) Haines.  He was born in Virginia - she in New Jersey.  They emigrated West in 1806, and settled in what is now Zane Tp., Logan Co.  After Mr. Painter was married, he worked near Middleburg, and settled where he now lives in 1836.  It was then "all woods," he being the first settler in this 'neck of woods."  He has 156 acres.  Of eight children born him but three are now living - Abner, on Mill Creek; Abraham, in Indiana; Alfred, on farm adjoining.  Mr. Painter has been a hard worker and seen a deal of pioneer life.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 655
Jefferson Twp. -
EZRA PARK, farmer; P. O., Bellefontaine; was born on the same farm on which he now resides, Nov. 10, 1836; is the eldest of two children, living, born to James and Elizabeth V. (Marquis) ParkJames Park was born in Belmont Co., in November, 1812; his wife in Washington Co., Pa., in 1810.  The family settled upon this farm about the year 1836, where he died Nov. 20, 1871; she, Dec. 21, 1861.  Ezra was married Nov. 1, 1876, to Margaretta Wingerd, who was born in Knox Co., O., June 20, 1851.  Her parents are Martin and Catherine (Baughman) Wingerd; he was born in Franklin Co., Pa.; his wife also.  They are residents of Knox Co.  Ezra, like his father, has always been a Democrat.  He has 111 acres of land located in this township.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 764
McArthur Twp.-
DAVID PATTERSON, farmer; P. O., Huntsville; is one of the early settlers of this township, to which he moved more than half a century ago; he was born May 15, 1810, near Belfast, Ireland.  His father, Abraham Patterson kept store until the breaking out of the Irish Rebellion, in which he served as Captain; he was married to Martha Gourley, who bore him nine children, and in 1818, with his entire family, emigrated to the New World, settling in Mercer Co., Pa., where they lived until 1830, when he moved to this township; he and two sons bought 500 acres of military land, which they divided equally; he was an ardent believer in the doctrines of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, and the first one of that denomination in this community; he helped build the first church, and attended Church Synod at Pittsburgh on horseback; he died in 1855, aged 89 years, his wife having died three years previous, aged 80 years.  David cleared his father's farm, doing most of it himself; he would often go five miles to raisings and log-rollings, and often went thirty days during one spring; he has never left the old homestead, but brought his wife there when married, Jan. 9, 1837, to Jane, daughter of John and Betsey Wylie.  She was born April 5, 1810, in Beaver Co., Pa., and came to this county in 1834.  Their union was blessed with three children, one of whom is living. Believing in the abolition of slavery, he helped many of them on their way to the North, once going as far as Sandusky; he lost his earthly companion Nov. 5, 874, and now lives with his son, A. Gourley, who served a short time in Company C, 132nd O. V. I., and married Sarah E. Gray, who has borne him six children.  They are members of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, to which Mr. Patterson has contributed financially as well as spiritually; he owns nearly 300 acres of land, which has changed from a dense forest to a valuable and beautiful property through his industry.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page  828
Rush Creek Twp. -
J. S. PATTERSON, potter; Bellefontaine; was born in Bellefontaine, O., Feb. 22, 1854, and is the son of Joseph Patterson, one of the pioneers of Logan Co.  Our subject learned a trade as carriage-maker with Miller Bro's., of Bellefontaine, working at his trade until 1880, when he entered the pottery business.  He is now in company with Nathan Pensey.  These gentlemen have just embarked in their present business, which stands fair to be very extensive at an early day.  Mr. Patterson was married in Bellefontaine, Aug. 9, 1876, to Miss Dola C. Burkhart, born in Lake Twp., Logan Co., a daughter of William Burkhart, who died at 74 years of age.  Mr. Patterson's wife died July 4, 1880.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page e 607)
Lake Twp. -
W. P. PATTERSON, marble works; Bellefontaine; was born in McArthur Tp., Logan Co., Dec. 26, 1836, and is the son of William Patterson, who was born in Ireland, having emigrated to America when about 13 years of age, and located in Pennsylvania; about 1829 he came to Logan Co., O.; he was a brick mason by trade, and was engaged in building the first court-house of Logan Co.; he also had a brother, Joseph, who was a carpenter by trade, and worked on the same building.  Our subject remained a resident of his native township until 1869, during which time he was engaged in farming and working at his trade of carpenter.  During the late civil war he enlisted in Co. G, 1st O. V. I., where he served three years and fourteen days, participating in all the prominent battles and marches of this regiment - Shiloh, Corinth, Stone River, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, campaign around Atlanta; returning home, he then went to Dayton, O., where he worked at the carpenter's trade some two and one-half years, when he returned to Logan Co.  In 1879 he embarked in the marble business, in partnership with J. K. Stewart, this firm doing some of the leading work in the marble line.  Mr. Patterson is now alone in the marble business.  He married, in 1868, Miss Maggie Zimmerman.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page  606)
Miami Twp. -
PAUL F. PETERS, florist; De Graff.  Paul F. Peters was born in the kingdom of Saxony, Germany, Mar. 25, 1855.  His father was a florist to Prinz Heinrich, 67th, and from him learned the art of floral culture.  The laws of the land demanded two years of military service, and to escape this demand he left for Brazil in 1873.  Here he worked as florist, having charge for a year and a half of a large garden belonging to Peisher & Co., and afterward about the same length of time for other parties, making rose culture a specialty.  He then came to Cincinnati, O., where he remained two years.  Next, for seven months he had charge of the farm and flower gardens of Kentucky University at Lexington, Ky.  Then for six months was in partnership with his brother in Cincinnati, growing flowers for the general market of that city.  This partnership being dissolved he came to De Graff, where he is now engaged in his favorite work.  Having devoted the attention of his past life to the work of the florist, he is enabled to make of it a grand success.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page  780
DAVID A. PIATT, merchant; Quincy, was born near West Liberty, Logan Co., O., Oct. 3, 1844; son of David P. Piatt, and Sarah (Askren) Piatt.  His father and mother both moved with their parents to West Liberty, when they were children, the father from Elizabethtown, Lancaster Co., Penn., and his mother from Fayette Co., Penn.  The dates of their birth being - the father Aug. 25, 1806, mother's Feb. 12, 1806; they were married Nov. 19, 1829.  Mr. David P. Piatt, was a member of Kreider Lodge, F. & A. M., and in assisting in the are of some member's family, contracted the disease of small-pox, of which he died, Feb. 17, 1865.  He was a farmer for sometime in West Liberty Twp.; he however traded his farm for property in Quincy, and went into the business of store-keeping.  He held the office of Justice of the Peace, and several minor offices.  The post office was kept in his store from the first of its opening; after his death the post office was kept by Miss Isabel Piatt until 1877.  When David A. Piatt was but one year old he came with his parents from West Liberty to Quincy, and on Nov. 8, 1866, married Miss Rose Anna Castenborder; they now have four children living, the names and dates of birth in order are - Lulu Belle, Oct. 7, 1867; Ora Estelle, July 20, 1870; David Corwin Nov. 3, 1876; Princess Joanna, July 28, 1879.  He commenced keeping store in Quincy, Mar. 8, 1873, and as he had only the advantages of a common school education, he has had to do a large amount of reading and studying, to keep pace with his business and the times.  He entered the late war in March, 1862, enlisting under Cap. Nicholas Trapp; and was in the service for three years, in the 1st O. V. I. and was in a number of battles, always ready for duty, and came out of the many engagements without a wound.  As a soldier, he acquitted himself with honor to his country.  And to-day we find him in comfortable circumstances, keeping a store well stocked with goods pertaining to a first class grocery, a member of I. O. O. F., Lodge No. 285, also a member of the Baptist Church; he is not satisfied with being a member only in name, but carries it into his business, and adheres to the golden rule.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page  781
DONN PIATT.  This noted journalist and author is a native of Ohio, and makes the beautiful Mackachack Valley, in Logan Co., his home.
     He is, as his name indicates, of French origin, and retains more than any other member of this influential family the characteristics popularly attributed to that nation.
     All the Piatts of the United States States originated from two brothers, Jacobins, who fled religious persecution in France, first to Holland and subsequently to the United States.
     One, the progenitor of the Ohio, Pennsylvania and Illinois Piatts settled in New Jersey, while the other went to South Carolina and thence to the West Indies.
     Jacob Piatt, grandfather of Wykoff, Donn and H. Sanders Piatt, was a noted officer of the Revolution, having enlisted as a private and fought his way up to a position by assignment at one time on the staff of Gen. Washington.
     John H. Piatt
, son of Jacob, was a successful merchant and banker at Cincinnati, and to his energy and enterprise that city owes much of its early prosperity. 
     Donn studied law.  He says he was put upon the bench shortly after his admission to the bar, by kind friends, that he might learn something of his profession.
     From the bench he was transferred to the Diplomatic Corps by President Pierce, and served as Secretary of Legation  at Paris, and for a year, during the illness of the Minister, was Charg d' Affaires.
     This promotion got the Secretary into serious trouble.  As Secretary, he was paid at the rate of $2,000 a year, and accommodated his expenses to his pay. As Charg he was plunged into an indebtedness that Congress met so long after, that he was stigmatized and abused in a manner that was extremely unjust.
     Returning to the United States, he resumed the practice of law until the war broke out, and he volunteered as a private to fight for the government.  Promoted to a Captaincy, he soon after accepted the position of Adjutant General on the staff of Gen. Robert C. Schenck, and under that gallant and able officer, continued in the service until the end of the war.  He took part, with the praise of his superior officer, in the battles of the first and second Bull Run, Cross Keys and Bull Pasture Mountains.  After the wounding of his general, at the second Bull Run, he was assigned to duty as Judge Advocate, and as such conducted the investigation of Gen. Don Carlos Buell, that was so protracted that it came near surviving the war.  It was, as Inspector General of the Middle District, with headquarters at Baltimore, that Col. Piatt with Gen. William Birney, and aided by Henry Winter Davis and Judge Bond, inaugurated the enlistment of slaves in the military service, against the wishes of the administration, that made Maryland a free State in thirty days.
     For this act of insubordination he lost favor with the government, and when the Union men of Maryland, and Delaware waited on the President, asking, on the retirement of General Schenck, he being returned to Congress, that Col. Piatt be promoted to the position of Brigadier General, and given command of the Middle District, Mr. Lincoln said, in his quaint way: "Schenck and Piatt are good fellows.  If there's any rotton apples in the barrel, they can be counted on to hook 'em out; but, gentlemen, they run their machine on too high a level for me.  I don't have much obedience, but a little is necessary, you know."
     Twice subsequent to this, when a list of names was sent in for promotion to Brigadier General, from the War Department, Mr. "Lincoln seeing that of Col. Piatt, drew his pen across it, saying: "Knows too much."
      Twice subsequent to this, when a list of names was sent in for promotion to Brigadier General, from the War Department, Mr. Lincoln seeing that of Col. Piatt, drew his pen across it, saying: "Knows too much."
     After the war, in 1865, Col. Piatt sought and secured to return to the Ohio Legislature for Logan Co., that he might aid in sending his General, Robert C. Schenck, to the United States Senate.  He failed in this, but succeeded in making it very disagreeable to his brother members, by introducing various measures of reform, and advocating them with the wit and sarcasm, for which he is as remarkable in oratory as he is with the pen.  Among other proposed reforms was a measure tending to take the police of cities from the political arena, so that it might serve as a conservator of the peace, in protection of society, instead of being a political machine of most degraded sort.
     Of course he failed, and became, in consequence of this and other like measures of reform, extremely unpopular.  It is told of him that a member came one day and asked his assistance for a bill then pending.
     "Give me the papers and I will do my best in its support," said the member from Logan.
     "Oh!  I don't mean that," responded the honest member.  "I want you to pitch into it in one of your devilish speeches.  Then all these fellows who can't get even with you any other way will vote for it."
     Donn Piatt sickened as much of his legislative career, as did his constituents, and there was an unanimous consent given to his remaining at home. 
     It was after this that Col. Piatt turned his attention exclusively to journalism, with which he had been trifling from time to time as an amusement.  Employed by the Cincinnati Commercial, as its Washington correspondent, he began and continued for three years, giving a letter a day during the sessions of Congress.  These letters were remarkably successful.  while awakening a sensation at the National Capitol among officials never before so criticized and commented upon, they were copied more or less by every journal in the country.  The secret of his success is told by the correspondent himself, in a letter published not long since.  He says: "I founded a new school.  I discovered that the American people longed for personalities, and I catered to that taste.  At Washington I found official agents who had to be treated with ridiculous tenderness, for they owned the city and all the pen-drivers therein, and hid their imbecility and wickedness under the cover of exalted position.  I found the House a Cave of the Winds, and the Senate a preposterous fog-bank.  I pried into both, creating the same astonishment and disgust felt by a convocation of carrion crows in a dead oak when a sportsman disturbs them with bird shot.  To hold a solemn old pump of a Senator up to ridicule was as startling as it was delicious to the public."
     The school founded by Col. Piatt consisted of a crowd of correspondents, who imitated all his faults, without a ray of the merit found in selecting for attack only charlatans, rogues and imbeciles, and garnishing these attacks with wit, to make them acceptable.  Col. Piatt sought to bring the evil effects of our government into disfavor.  His followers have succeeded in fetching the government itself into contempt.
     At the end of the three years correspondence, Col. Piatt and George Alfred Townsend started the Washington Capitol. a weekly journal that is to this country what Punch  has been to England, and the Figaro to France.  George Alfred Townsend retired at the end of three months from the editorship of this independent and amusing journal, that has since been conducted by Col. Piatt alone.
     Although known widely for his wit, Donn Piatt cannot be considered a humorist, by which is meant one who has this quality only.  His wit or humor, as it is popularly called, is but an aid to more serious aims.  His graver writings, married by a cynical turn and much eccentricity, having had so much influence that one regrets the wit that gives a flavor of insincerity to all he does.
(Source: History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 583)
 
Monroe Twp. -
R. J. PIATT; is a son of Gen. A. S. Piatt, and came to this state with his parents.  When he was but two years of age.  Raised up at home, to farming, and attended the common schools, also one year at Mt. Saint Mary's, under Bishop Rosencrantz; then remained home until the out break of the war, when he enlisted in the 13th Regiment, and went out for three  months; was commissioned 2d Lieutenant by Gov. Todd, and was detailed for staff duty on his father's staff, where he served until after the battle of Fredericksburg, when he resigned and returned home.  On July 17, 1865, in Ireland; after marriage he stayed three years in Pulaski Co., Ill., where he was engaged in the lumber business.  In 1871 he returned to Monroe Twp., and has since remained; six children are the result of this marriage.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page  677)
Union Twp. -
REV. DAVID PLANK, farmer and minister; P. O., Bellefontaine; was born May 15, 1833, in Mifflin Co., Penn.  To give anything like a correct sketch of the Plank Family in this country would necessitate reference to documents and dates which are now beyond our reach in the irretrievable past.  However, in about the year 1700, or shortly thereafter, one Melcher Plank (the name originally was Blank; by the variation of the English pronunciation the orthography was changed to Plank), with his four sons and two daughters - Christian, John, Jacob, Peter, Rebecca and Barbara - emigrated from Germany to this continent, and settled about Berks Co., Penn.  His son, Christian, married and settled himself in that section, and had a family of six sons and two daughters - John, Christian, Isaac, Joseph, Jacob, Samuel, Martha and BarbaraSamuel, the youngest son, was born in Lancaster Co. in 1808; he married Juliana Hartzler, a native of his own county, who was born in 1819.  They are the parents of the present generation of that name in Logan Co.  They came here with six of their children - Joseph C., David, Leah, Elizabeth, Martha and Barbara - October, 1845, and settled on the same farm where David resides.  After they came here the family was increased by three - Juliana, Samuel W. and Mary  Only two of Christian's family survive - Martha, in Champaign Co., and Barbara, who lives near by her nephew David; they are both well advanced in years.  David's father died here, after a life of quiet usefulness, Dec. 11, 1878, and his mother April 11, 1879.  David's early life was spent on the farm and attending to the various duties of the same; his marriage was celebrated with Martha Hartzler Feb. 14, 1856.  She was born in Pennsylvania, June 9, 1836, and came to Champaign Co. with a sister in 1853.  They have eight children living - Samuel H., Salome M., Levi L., Mary E., Lydia, Juliana, Katie and David.  Mr. Plank was ordained a minister of the Ormish Mennonite Church in this township, Oct. 19, 1859.  They are now known as the "Walnut Grove" congregation.  Mr. Plank is now the longest officiating minister connected with said congregation.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page  794
Miami Twp. -
GEO. G. POOL, farmer; P. O., De Graff.  Mr. Geo. G. Pool was born in Shelby Co., O., one mile north of Sidney, May 13, 1827, son of Rev. Geo. Pool and Mercy (Wilkinson) Pool.  Rev. Mr. Pool came to Ohio about the year 1812, and was drafted about as soon as he arrived here, Mrs. Pool coming with her parents when she was but a child, and settling near Urbana, Shelby Co., O.  They were married Sept. 8, 1814.  G. G. Pool was married to Miss Chloe McKinnon in 1850 and settled in Logan Co.  She was born in Clark Co., and came to Logan in Mar., 1836.  To this couple were given - Daniel H. (deceased), G. W., Mary J., Thos. W. (deceased), Emma, J. W., Alfred C. (deceased), and an infant, which died in infancy.  G. W. Pool was married to Miss Oma Glick in July, 1875.  Miss Mary J. was married to W. F. Hamer, and now resides in Logan Co., O., only two of the children having married up to the present time.  After Mr. Pool was married he rented a farm for one year, and then cleared up a farm of 80 acres in Logan Co., on which he lived for thirteen years; he then came to his present farm of 157 acres in 1864.  He was raised on a farm and had the usual advantages of the farmer's lad, which, in the days of his youth, were not great.  Notwithstanding these limited privileges, he has been a member of the School Board for fifteen years, and, understanding the value of an education, has given his family a better one than he had, so that all but two of his children now living have taught school for several terms.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page 781
Harrison Twp. -
JOSEPH M. PORTER, P. O., Bellefontaine; was born in Washington Co., Pa., Apr. 14, 1824; his parents, Charles and Margaret Porter, were natives of the same county; they came to Licking Co., Ohio, in 1825, where they resided until 1832, and came to Logan Co., where the parents died; the father died May 14, 1863, and mother, June 29, 1867; the father was a carpenter by trade, and held the office of Justice of the Peace in Bellefontaine for nine years.  Joseph Porter  was raised principally on a  farm, and was married, in 1854, to Margaret S. Sullivan; she was born and raised in the county; her father was of Virginia and her mother of North Carolina; they came to the county in a very early day.  From this union there were five children, two of whom are now dead - Addie M., Ida M., Charles L., Lucy and Lilly J.  The two last named are deceased.  Mr. Porter resided in Logan Co. until 1849, when he went to Michigan, where he remained until 1852, at which time he returned to Logan Co., and worked on the railroad until 1855.  He went to Illinois in 1856, and resided there until 1863, when he again returned to Logan Co., and, always being willing to work, he found plenty to do, and by industry and economy has acquired a neat fortune.  In 1865, he was appointed Superintendent of Logan Co.  Infirmary, a position he held until 1872, when he was superseded by Benjamin R. KemperMr. Porter went to his farm, and farmed for himself until 1875, when he was again appointed to superintend the Infirmary, and he has held that place ever since.  The people find his services invaluable in this respect, owing to his strict honesty and unswerving integrity.  He and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Politically, he is a Republican.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page 624
Perry Twp. -
JOSHUA POWELL, farmer, P.O., West Mansfield; born Feb. 12, 1824, in Columbiana Co.  His parents were Henry and Rachel (Fowler) Powell.  He was born in Germany, and came to America when a lad, and was bound out to a man by the name of Nubo Joshua was raised to farming pursuits.  His parents were poor, and were unable to give their children any pecuniary assistance.  At the age of 25 he was married to Lovina Fisher, who was born in Portage Co., daughter of Charles and Minerva (Alfred) Fisher, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania.  The first purchase of land Mr. Powell made was sixty acres in Summit Co., at $10 per acre, which was disposed of three years afterwards at $20 per acre.  In 1853 he came to Logan Co., purchasing 112 acres at $6.50 per acre, which was across the line in Union Co.  Four years afterward he sold it for $12 per acre, after clearing a portion of the timber.  Since 1853 he has been a constant resident of the county.  He now has 183 acres of land, and well improved, large and commodious farm-house newly built, and everything about him are monuments to his industry and perseverance.  Beginning life poor, he has worked his way up from poverty to comfort and plenty.  Having enough of this world's goods about him for his maintenance, he is now leading a comparatively retired life, enjoying the fruits of his labor.  He now has his second wife; she was Minerva Fisher before marriage, and sister to his first companion, who died May 18, 1867.  Eight children were born them; but seven survive, who are Nancy A., now Mrs. James Skidmore of Union Co.; Charles Henry, Thomas W., Melissa, Mrs. R. Hindle; Edgar, Sarah J. and Harriet E.  He and family are all members of the Free-Will Baptist Church.  His last marriage was in November, 1869.  His early education was entirely neglected.  Schools were scarce, and at subscription rates.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 655
Lake Twp. -
WILLIAM POWELL, deceased; Bellefontaine; was born in Pennsylvania, on a farm.  When a young man he learned the carpenter's trade.  In 1796 or 1797 he came to Ohio, and located at North Bend, where he was engaged in farming and hunting, remaining there until 1802 or 1803, when he moved two miles east of Urbana, remaining there until 1812; he then moved to what is now known as Bellefontaine, Logan Co., with his wife and ten children, two of whom are now living in Bellefontaine - James Powell and Mrs. Powell Mays, who was born near Urbana, O., Dec. 25, 1806; came here with her parents in 1812, and married John Mays, of Kentucky; by his marriage they have had two children, a son and daughter.  The daughter, Elizabeth, was married in 1846 to E. B. Lowe, to whom she bore seven children.  The Powell family came here at an early day, when the Indians and wolves were plentiful.  William Powell  died in 1835, at 77 years of age, his wife having died in 1840, at 76 years of age.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page  608)
McArthur Twp. -
LANFORD PRATER, physician and surgeon; Huntsville; was born Aug. 1, 1840, in this county, and is a descendant of one of the early settlers; his grandfather, Newman Prater, was born in Virginia in 1745, and was their married to Nancy Robinson; he was a farmer by occupation, and although an old man, served in the war of 1812, receiving in injuries from which he died; the family, which then consisted of wife and six children, soon after started for this State, moving all the way on pack-horses, and four of them were obliged to walk the whole distance; they settled permanently in this county and the sons went to work for different parties, in order to support the family; John, the youngest but one, was born Jan. 1, 1800, and has always been a tiller of the soil; he was married to Mary Pope, who was a native of North Carolina, and came to this State the same year as the Prater family, and lived five years in Highland Co. before coming here; he retired from the farm in 1876 and has since lived with his son, losing his earthy partner Feb. 4, 1880.  Lanford taught school several terms in different parts of the county and served with credit in the war, being in different regiments, and having four discharges in his possession; he graduated at the Indiana Medical College in 1871, and practiced in Grant Co., that State, until October, 1879, when he located at this place; he was married Mar. 5, 1863, to Isabel, daughter of Joseph and Eliza Watson; she was born Dec. 18, 1844, in Tyrone, Ireland, and emigrated to this country when 8 years old; by their union six children have been born - Charles, Harriet, Charlotte, Eliza J., Mintia and Lanford; the family belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church; he is a member of the I. O. O. F., and has always been a Republican.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page  827
Rush Creek Twp. -
CHARLES QUINN, farmer; P. O. Rushsylvania.  Charles Quinn was born in Champaign Co., O., in 1818.  On the 9th day of October, 1838, he married Clarissa Chamberlin, who was born in Monroe Co., N.Y., on the 23d day of May, 1819.  The same year in which he was married he settled in Logan Co., where he remained until his death, which occurred Aug. 7, 1865, leaving a widow and four children to mourn his loss.  The children were - Caroline, born July 22, 1840; Emily, May 18, 1841, and who died Oct. 11, 18643, nearly a year prior to her father's death;  Mary, Oct. 14, 1842, and died in July, 1869; Harriet, April 18, 1844, died June 7, 1878; Catharine, Feb. 22, 1852, and married George W. Lash, Jan. 14, 1875, who resides with his mother-in-law and manages the affairs of the farm.  The residence of Mrs. Quinn stands exactly on the line of the old road called Hull's Trace, which was visible at that time, and the red man often lodged in her house.  Their huts still remained on the farm, and wolves howled in all directions.  She has seen bears, wildcats, deer, and other denizens of a wild forest, in their native state, and prior to her marriage heard George McCullough preach in a cabin which stood on the farm where she now resides.  The raising of wheat and fine horses in a specialty on this farm, and hospitality and kindness are among the virtues of this household.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page  699)

NOTES:

 

CLICK HERE to Return to
LOGAN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights