...


OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS


A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Logan County, Ohio

History & Genealogy


 


BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
History of Logan County and Ohio
Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers
186 Dearborn Street
1880
w/ some illustrations and portraits
 
A B C D E F G H IJ K L M N OPQ R S T U V W XYZ

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1880 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to RETURN to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

Liberty Twp. -
A. J. SCOTT, livery; West Liberty; was born Aug. 9, 1829, in Champaign Co., O.  His father, Zachariah, was born Nov. 18, 1800, in the same county, as was also his mother, Maria (Lake) Scott, her birthday being Oct. 22, 1805.  These parents began life in the green woods; wild game was then plenty, and the father obtained the greater part of their meat by hunting.  During this time the Indians were plenty, yet the father had some dislike for the, and never traded with them, as did many of the pioneers.  His grudge against them was caused by a combat between his brother Joseph and some red men in Wisconsin, during which engagement Joseph killed one of them, and had to flee for his life, and was only saved by being placed in a block house, and kept there through the entire winter.  In the spring was let out, at which time he sought the wilds of Ohio, working the way on foot.  Mr. Scott's father and mother had five children - Jane, deceased; Eliza, Margaret, A. J. and Thomas J.  The mother died in 1832.  The father was again married to Mary Lake, a sister of his former wife, by whom he had - David, John, Maria, Matilda, Lovena, George, Charlie, Chloe, Zachariah and Belle.  The father died in 1862; his widow survives and is living at Hayworth, Ill.  A. J. remained with his parents until 22 years old, during which period he shared with his brothers in laboring on the farm and attending school in the log cabin; also going to mill on horseback, following along the snake paths.  He was married Mar. 20, 1850, to Martha J. Saltkill, a native of Pennsylvania; by her he has five children, all living - Maria E., Laura, Mary, Zachariah and Addie B.  He devoted his life to farming until Mar. 7, 1880, when he formed a co-partnership with John Steelman in the livery, sale and feed business at which he is doing first-class; and as he and Mr. Steelman give their entire personal attention to the same, of course, merit the patronage they receive.  He owns a nice residence in this little village, votes the Democratic ticket, and has always voted for the party, save one vote, which was cast for Abraham Lincoln.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 721
Jefferson Twp. -
BENJAMIN S. SCOTT, (Jefferson Twp.) wagon manufacturer; Zanesfield; born Jan. 14, 1821, in Belmont Co., O.; the youngest of a family of ten children born to Joshua and Elizabeth (Stanton) Scott.  Joshua Scott was a son of Adam and Hannah (Mace) Scott; he was born near Wilmington, N. C., in 1769, and his father was a soldier in the war  of the Revolution.  Elizabeth Stanton was the eldest daughter of Benjamin and Abigail (Macy) Stanton, and was born in Cateret Co., N. C., Dec. 24, 1775.  Abigail Macy was a native of Nantucket Island, and was a descendant of Thomas Macy, who came from England to America in 1640, and, on account of religious intolerance in Massachusetts, removed with his family, in open boat, to Nantucket Island, an event celebrated in later years with considerable poetic coloring in one of Whittier's poems.  Joshua and Elizabeth Scott, the parents of our subject, were married in their native State in 1794, and came North in 1802, stopping for a time at Red Stone, on the Monongahela; thence to Jefferson Co., O.; after a short residence, came to Belmont Co., O., where Ben S. was born; here they cleared up a piece of land purchased from the Government.  In April, 1830, they sold out and came to Logan Co., O.; purchased 100 acres of land west of Zanesfield, known as the "Goose Creek" farm; here his mother died in 1835, being a woman of great moral and religious worth.  He was married the second time, and died in 1838.  Benjamin S. was then in his 18th year; lived with his uncle, Benjamin Michener, until 1840, who resided near Zanesfield, and worked on a farm, attending school during the winter season; afterwards taught school; going to Urbana, learned the wagonmaker's trade; remained until 1845, when he came to Zanesfield, and set up on his own account, and has since been a constant resident of Zanesfield.  May 6, 1747, was united by marriage to Eliza A. Harris, of Richland Co., O., in Nov., 1822, second daughter of William and Gulie E. (Gregg) Harris; her father was an early settler in Richland Co., and was a soldier in Gen. Harrison's army.  The Greggs came from the Shenandoah Valley, in Virginia, and were members of the Society of Friends.  Six children have been born unto Mr. Scott and wife; two of them are married; Sallie  is engaged in teaching; Caroline and Edwin are at home.  Mrs. Scott, Through raised a Friend, is, in common with her husband and three children, a member of the Baptist Church, and he is an active worker in the Sabbath school cause.  Politically Mr. Scott was originally a Whit, but, since the dissolution of that party, has been an unswerving Republican; was a private in the 132d Regt., O. N. G., during the campaign of 1864, and has been several times elected as Justice of the Peace, and is one of the staunch and reliable citizens of this community.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 767
767
McArthur Twp. -
THOMAS SCOTT, JR., farmer; P. O., Northwood; among the first pioneers of this township, we take pleasure in mentioning the Scott family, as among the prominent and well known.  The head of the family was Thomas Scott, Sr., who was a native of Maryland, and from there moved to Pennsylvania, residing successively in three different counties, and in 1810 moved to Licking Co., O., where the subject of this sketch was born, Mar. 15, 1812.  In Aug., 1822, the family moved to this township and settled in Cherokee, moving into a rude and hastily constructed cabin, and soon after their arrival, Samuel Scott, Thomas' father, died, being the first white man to die in this township.  The spring following their arrival the township was organized, and the first election held, there being only thirteen voters.  Mr. Scott was unanimously chosen Justice; an office he held about twenty years.  About the year 1841 he moved to Allen Co., and lived there until his death, Feb. 18, 1852, except a short time that he returned to this county.  Thomas, Jr., received most of his education before he came to this county, as there were no schools for several years after his arrival; the settlement being too sparse to support a school.  He received a thorough drilling on the farm, however, and at his mother's death, when he was 17 years old, he commenced working out.  Having a piece of new land, and wishing to improve it, he first secured a helpmeet in the person of Agnes, daughter of Abraham and Martha Peterson.  Their marriage occurred Dec. 23, 1830, and both are still living.  They have four children - Martha J., Thomas M., Sarah A. and Abraham P.  Three of these are married, the youngest farming on the homestead.  Both sons were in the service, and the parents and three children are members of the United Presbyterian Church.  HE is the discoverer of what is known as the "Scott" wheat, commencing with three heads, that he found while reaping, and by care he produced the justly celebrated variety that bears his name.  He was a Whig in early life, but after the election of Harrison voted the Free Soil ticket, until the organization of the Republican party.  He often assisted run-away slaves on their way to Canada; he now possesses the first clock ever brought to this township; it belong to his father.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 831
Jefferson Twp. -
WILLIAM SCOTT, farmer; P. O. Bellefontaine.  Among the "old timers" and staunch representatives of this county, is William Scott, who was born in Monroe Twp., June 18, 1814; his father, Samuel, was born Oct. 17, 1778, in County Wexford, Ireland; his wife, who was the mother of William was born Feb. 28,1786, in Sussex Co., State of Delaware; Samuel Scott, was but five years of age when he emigrated to America; his parents located in Pennsylvania;  in 1800 he (Samuel) came to Ohio, and to Logan Co., locating in Monroe Tp. about the year 1811, and for a time was out in the '12 war.  Farming was his occupation; though beginning poor, he became wealthy, being very successful business man, he went to Chillicothe, to pay his first tax; of the family raised to maturity, were Margaret; Jane; Archibald, who was killed, when crossing the plains, going to California; William; John; Nancy; Eliza A.; Martha and Mary.  Samuel Scott died Feb. 18, 1859; during his life was a very efficient worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church, with which he was prominently identified as class-leader and steward, and gave of his means liberally for the support and maintenance of the gospel, and the erection of churches.  William Scott remained at home until 1835, and in Oct. he was married to Emily Gillilan, born in April, 1818, in Mason Co., Virginia; her mother's name was Edwardson; soon after Mr. Scott's marriage he purchased the homestead which he yet owns; in 1874 came to Jefferson Twp.; having the misfortune to lose his wife, he has since married Phebe Ellis, born in December, 1829, in Canada; eight children were the fruit of the first marriage, and eleven by the last, of whom but nine are living, viz: Archibald; Ellis; Charles; Laura B.; Ida B.; Sherman; Georgiana; Frank H. and Effie F.  Mr. Scott's early school advantages were very limited; attended but three terms in all.  Farming and stock-raising has been the business of his life; for about twenty-years was engaged in stock-shipping; he has been very successful in his business career, having several hundred acres of land, and is now living in quiet and retirement at his beautiful home, about one mile and a half east of Bellefontaine, and is a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, which his father so long adorned with his Christian life and exemplary conduct.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 768
Richland Twp. -
WILLIAM M. SCOTT, farmer; P. O., Belle Centre; is the third of a family of eight children, and was born Oct. 21, 1835, in this township, upon the farm on which he now lives.  His father, Robert Scott, was born Jan. 4, 1800, in Kentucky, and when 16 years old accompanied his mother to Fayette Co., this State, and engaged in farming.  He was there married to Jane McKee, who was born in Pennsylvania, June 22, 1802, and while yet young was taken to Kentucky, where she lived eight years, and then came to Fayette Co.  Soon after their marriage, while they yet had only one child, they moved to this county in a wagon, and settled on the farm on which part of the family now reside.  This was in 1833, and a more inhospitable and dreary place would be hard to find than near the "slough" where they located.  By years of patient toil, in which he was nobly assisted by his ever faithful wife, he succeeded in transforming the dense forest into a beautiful and valuable farm, on which he erected good buildings as fast as he was able.  He died Oct. 1, 1858, and his companion is still living on the old homestead, her kind children ministering to every want.  Brining with indignation at the insult to his country's flag, William enlisted in Company D, 66th O. V. I., and hastened to the field of action.  He was first wounded at Port Republic, and shortly after at Cedar Mountain, but at the ever memorable field of Gettysburg he received a bad face wound on the last day's fight and was discharged the following December.  He now superintends the farm, and is a very prudent business manager and well respected citizen.  He has always been a Republican, and cast his first vote for John C. Fremont.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 811
Richland Twp. -
JACOB SESLER, farmer; P. O., Belle Centre; is the only son now living of a family of ten children, and was born July 25, 1836, in this township.  His father was a native of Fayette Co., and came here shortly after his marriage to Nancy Carter; he was always identified with the best interests of the county, and did his part toward developing and improving it; he cleared a farm of new land, on which he lived until his death, on May 9, 1866.  Jacob commenced for himself when 23 years old, and has always followed farming in this township; he was married on  Dec. 31, 1860, to Rebecca, daughter of John and Mary McCoy.  She was born July 19, 1840, in Clermont Co., and when 10 years old her parents moved to this place, where they lived one year, and then went to Hardin Co., where her mother died; she lived with an aunt three years, and from that time until her marriage made her home with the persons for whom she worked.  They have one child dead, and seven living - Mary, John M., Agnes, Scott, Jessie, Bertie and Freddie.  He has always voted the Democratic ticket.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page 811
A. W SHARP, farmer; P. O., East Liberty; was born in Zane Tp., Aug. 5, 1835, son of Job H. and Ann E. (Weatherby) Sharp.  At the age of 13, Aaron went to learn the tanner's trade, which he followed for fourteen years.  In 1861 he engaged in merchandising at Lewisburg, which business he conducted until 1868.  In 1870 he moved to Perry Tp. and purchased 150 acres of land, located one mile and a half southeast of town.  On Nov. 29, 1861, he was married to Elizabeth Evans, who was born in Lancaster Co., Pa., Feb. 6, 1839, and was 9 years of age when she came out with her parents, Aaron S. and Rebecca (Daniel) Evans.  Three children are the fruit of the marriage, who are - Bessie R., born Jan. 6, 18633; Aaron W., Jan. 3, 1871; Prentice H., Sept. 4, 1878.  The Sharp family are among the first who came into what is now Zane Tp.  The father of Job Sharp came from England to the Carolinas during the reign to George III., and was commissioned by him as surveyor.  Job Sharp, who was the great-grandfather of A. W., came from New Jersey and settled first in Culpepper Co., Va., 1797, remaining there until 1799, when he emigrated to Ohio, and reached what is now Zane Tp., on Christmas day of the same year, and settled on a tract of 1,000 acres of land, which he had exchanged for land in Virginia.  His son was named Joshua, and was born in 1784, he was the father of Job H., the father of Aaron W., who is now the oldest living representative of the Sharp family.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - w/ some illustrations and portraits ~ Page 656
MRS. ANN E. SHARP;  P. O., East Liberty; was born in Columbus, Oct. 3, 1817; she is a daughter of Benjamin and Sarah (Mathis) Weatherby, who were natives of the Atlantic States, and were among the early arrivals in this State, settling in this township prior to the year 1820; on Oct. 12, 1834, she was married to Job H. Sharp, who was born in Logan Co., Apr. 19, 1811; he was a son of Joshua and Elizabeth (Ballenger) Sharp.  Soon after their marriage they located near Middleburg, where they resided three years, and subsequently made several changes, finally locating in Perry Tp., in 1841, where he remained until his death, which occurred Apr. 29, 1880; he was a member of the Masonic Order; was a Royal Arch and was affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.  Eleven children were born unto Mr. and Mrs. Sharp, nine living - Aaron W., Victoria and Eloria (twins), David R., Webster L., Lodusky C., Heploria, William T. and Caleb B.  She has 140 acres of land, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - w/ some illustrations and portraits ~ Page 656
Harrison Twp. -
JACOB SHAWVER, farmer; P. O., Bellefontaine; was born in Carroll Co., Ohio, Oct. 1, 1812; his father was a native of Pennsylvania, and his mother of Virginia.  They came to Carroll Co. in a very early day, where they resided until 1836, when they came to Logan Co., where they resided until their deaths.  Jacob resided with his parents until of age, at which time he began business for himself.  He received a common school education, and has always followed farming.  He was married, in 1838, to Sallie Detrick, who was born in Virginia, and came to Logan Co. with her parents when quite young.  From this union there were two children, Samuel, and the other died in infancy.  The mother of these children died in 1840.  Mr. Shawver was again married, in 1841, to Mary J. Carr, who was also born in Virginia and came to Ohio when young.  From this marriage one child, Rosana (King), was born.  Mr. Shawver began a poor man, and by diligently applying himself to his profession (farming) has gained quite a fortune.  He has a well improved farm, consisting of 120 acres, all of which he cleared and brought to its present state of cultivation.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page 626
Harrison Twp. -
GEORGE SHICK
, farmer; P. O., Bellefontaine; is the eldest of a family of ten children and was born July 2, 1830, in Carroll Co.; his father, William Shick, was born in Loudoun Co., Va., in 1806 and is a child of one of the heroes of the war of 1812.  About the year 1814 the family, which then consisted of six souls, came to Carroll Co., in a wagon and entered a piece of Military land.  William was there married to Catharine Shawver, one of a family of fourteen children, all of whom grew to maturity and were married.  They lived in that county until 1836, when they moved to where they now live, in Lake Tp., and bought a quarter section of land, the only improvement being a partly built cabin.  The privations were not few, and George, being the eldest son, was compelled to work when young, and therefore, received only a meager education; his parents are both living, having enjoyed more than a half century's companionship.  On reaching maturity he commenced working at the carpenter's trade and followed it seven years, when he commenced farming, but during this time he has conducted a saw-mill for twenty-two years, as well as the farm.  He has been quite successful in business, now owning nearly 350 acres of land, nearly one third of which he has cleared himself; he was married Mar. 19, 1857, in Champaign Co., to Mary Apple; she was born there Feb. 17, 1838, and is a daughter of Solomon and Catharine Apple, who came there at an early day and secured a farm of military land, which is yet in the family's possession.  One child died and two are living - Catharine and Margaret A.  Both he and his wife joined the Lutheran Church before their marriage.  He has always been a Democrat.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page 832
Richland Twp. -
ROBERT J. SHIELDS, farmer; P. O., Belle Centre; is the only son of David and Catharine (McBeth) Shields, who were among the first settlers of Liberty Twp.; his father was a native of Kentucky, and came to this State after he arrived at manhood; he served in the war of 1812 under Capt. Black, and owned 200 acres of Government land, on which he lived till his death, near 1826; his wife was then married to Henry Fulton, and they lived in Liberty Twp., till 1851, when they moved to Northwood; they resided there about five years and then moved to Michigan, where she died in 1866.  Robert lived under the parental roof till his marriage, Dec. 12, 1842, to Jane, daughter of Joseph and Jane Torrence; she was born May 24, 1824, in Philadelphia, and lived in this township at the time of her marriage; Robert farmed the old homestead till 1853, when he would it and moved to Adams Co., where he remained thirteen years; he was induced to invest in a store at Belle Centre with J. B. Torrence, and soon after moved to this place to help conduct the business; he was not adapted to mercantile life, and three years after he again commenced farming, which he has since followed; this marriage has been blessed with nine children, five of whom are living - Catherine J., Martha I., Nancy E., Mary R. and Amanda L.; the two eldest are married, and the third is a successful school teacher; the two eldest children and the parents belong to the R. P. Church.
(Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 811)
Lake Twp.
E. J. SHORT, merchant; Bellefontaine; was born in Bellefontaine, O., Apr. 9, 1850, and is the son of H. D. and Elizabeth (Riveley) Short; both parents are natives of Pennsylvania, having come to Bellefontaine at an early day.  The father was a contractor and builder, having erected some of the leading houses of this city - Logan House, Fountain House, etc.  He was for several years Master mechanic on the C., C., C. & I. R. R.  Our subject commenced as clerk; he managed to save a small capital, and embarked in business for himself, in the frame house west of his present place of business; in a few years he managed to save enough to erect his present business block, which is one of the neatest on Columbus Street.  He is holding office as Township and City Treasurer, and married Miss Mary Rutan Magruder, daughter of T. J. Magruder.
(Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 613)
Lake Twp. -
W. G. SHORT, livery; Bellefontaine.  We believe that many people fail of success in the livery business through a lack of attention to the general wants of the public.  One of the leading livery stables of the city is owned by Comer & Short, which is well equ8pped with good horses and carriages.   The place of business is located on Main street, next to the New Opera House, where street, next to the New Opera House, where they are prepared to let livery on reasonable terms.  Our subject's father, Leonard Short, of Delaware, came to Bellefontaine at an early day; he was a carpenter by trade, and contractor, and was engaged in building a number of houses in Bellefontaine; he was engaged at work on the oil mill building west of the city, when, on the 4th day of March, 1851, a stick of timber fell on him and killed him instantly; he was a man respected and honored by all.
(Source: History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 596)
Richland Twp. -
ROBERT B. SIMPSON, farmer; P. O., New Richland; is the eldest son of a family of seven children, and was born May 24, 1824, in Ross Co., O.; his father, Matthew Simpson, was born in Huntington Co., Penn., and accompanied his parents to Ross Co. while yet in his boyhood; he served as a drum-major in the war of 1812, at which time he was living in Ross Co.; he was married to a lady by the name of Elizabeth Dean, who was born in Pennsylvania; having learned the blacksmith's trade he moved to Fayette Co. and followed that business for six years, when he returned to Ross and engaged in farming; in the fall of 1837 he moved to this county and bought a farm consisting mostly of heavy forest, which yielded slowly but surely to his sturdy blows, in which he was ably assisted by his son Robert; he died Sept, 30, 1859, and was followed by his wife in March, 1871; Robert was married Mar. 13, 1848, to Deborah Thompson; she was born April 8, 1823, in Guernsey Co., and was a daughter of James and Mary (Carothers) Thompson, who lived to this county in 1831; her mother died soon after their arrival, and the children kept house for their father until his death in October, 1869.  In 1851 Robert commenced working on the railroad, first as a fireman and then as engineer; he followed this five years, when he relinquished it for faring, which is more original to him; by their marriage five children have been born, the youngest dying in infancy; those living are - James H., who is married and living near home; William S., now at Leadville, Col.; Matthew Franklin, who still lives at home, and John L., who lately joined his brother at the West; Robert and wife are members of the Presbyterian Order, and has been a republican since the organization of that party.
(Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 812)
Perry Twp. -
DANIEL SKIDMORE, farmer; P. O., West Mansfield; was born Apr. 2 1802, in Loudoun Co., Va.; is the fourth child of William and Mary (Randall) Skidmore, who emigrated to Columbiana Co., this State, in 1804, remaining there until 1816, when they moved to this county, and located on the farm now occupied by Daniel and John H. Skidmore.  Sixty acres was the first purchase, which was a dense forest.  Urbana being their place of trading, until Curtis started his store at Zanesfield.  Daniel was raised to hard labor; schools were few, and sparsely attended, and taught at subscription rates.  When he attained his majority he began for himself, and hired out at $8 per month; 50 cents per day was the highest price paid at that time.  At the age of 25, he was married to Mary Ballinger, born in 1809, in Logan Co.  she was a daughter of Samuel and Ann (Walker) Ballinger.  They were married in New Jersey, and emigrated West in 1809, locating in Zane Tp.  After our subject was married, he moved to this township, locating on the farm now occupied by John F. Skidmore remaining a short time, and then moving to where his brother Joseph resides.  Subsequently he moved to his present place, where h e purchased 118 acres of land.  Ten children were born to him, but eight only now survive - Samuel, Joshua, Hope, Elizabeth, Gustavus, James, Newton and SidneyMr. Skidmore has now been a resident of this township well on to seventy years, and is among its most esteemed citizens.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - w/ some illustrations and portraits ~ Page 656
Perry Twp. -
DANIEL SKIDMORE, JR., farmer, P.O., West Mansfield; was born Apr. 12, 1830, on the homestead, the eldest of a family of ten children.  His father was born in Virginia, Sept. 2, 1803, and came West when thirteen years of age.  On July 23, 1827, he was married to Hope Ballinger, who was born in New Jersey, Dec. 17, 1807, and who was a daughter of Samuel and Nancy (Walker) Ballinger, who came West about the year 1809, and settled in Zane Tp.  After the marriage of Joshua and Hope, they settled in the Skidmore settlement, where his widow still survives him.  He died Apr. 21, 1879.  Daniel, our subject, was married Apr. 17, 1851, to Rachel McDonald, who was born in 1832 in this township, and is a daughter of John and Rebecca (Fitzsimmons) McDonald.  The McDonalds are from Scotland and emigrated to Pennsylvania.  In the fall of 1863, Daniel moved to White Co., Ind., and lived there until 1870, and then returned to the homestead.  He has three children - Elmira E., Rachel E. and Dora.  Daniel and his brother John H. now farm the homestead.  John was born Nov. 30, 1845; his the ninth child of the family.  At the age of twenty-three, April, 1868, he was married to Elizabeth Inskeep.  But one child is living - Earl I., born in October, 1875.  The homestead consists of 216 acres.  Daniel and his family are members of the Disciples Church.  John  is of the Baptists.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - w/ some illustrations and portraits ~ Page 657
Perry Twp. -
JOSEPH SKIDMORE, farmer; P. O., West Mansfield.  Among the old and highly respected residents of this township, whose interests have been identical almost since its beginning, is Uncle Joseph Skidmore, who was born Mar. 23, 1799, in Bedford Co., Va.; son of William and Mary (Randall) Skidmore;  he was born in Virginia, May 9, 1778; she in Pennsylvania Oct. 7, 1774.  They emigrated to this State, locating where East Liberty now stands, about the year 1813; remaining here a short time, they sold out and moved towards the north part of the township, and remained here until removed by death.  there were eleven children in the family, Joseph being the second.  Soon after attaining his majority, he was united in marriage to Rebecca Garwood, who was born in this county, daughter of Thomas Garwood; she died July 18, 1835.  When Joseph began farming on his own account he bought seventy-two acres, at $3 per acre, and cleared the same.  Six children were born to im by his first wife, five living - William, Thomas, Hope, Isaac and John.  His present wife was Rebecca Whitaker, born Sept. 17, 1819, in Clark Co.; daughter of Josiah and Hannah Rudisill..  They were among the early settlers.  The Whitakers are from New Jersey.  Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Skidmore, who are - Lydia J., Nancy, Joseph, Rebecca, Franklin H., Lavina and Josiah C.  For forty years, Mr. Skidmore has been a for many years a deacon, and now stands ready for his Master's call.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - w/ some illustrations and portraits ~ Page 657
Harrison Twp. -
NEIL SLICER, farmer; P. O., Bellefontaine; was born in Maryland, Aug. 14, 1814; his parents, Nathaniel and Susan Slicer, were also natives of Maryland; Mr. Slicer resided with his parents until 15 years of age, at which time he went to learn the printer's trade, and worked at this business for about 10 years; he came to Bellefontaine, Logan Co., Ohio, in 1840, working here for a while at his trade, and at several other places in the State.  In 1841, he quit his trade and went into the mercantile business in Bellefontaine, with Mr. Casad, and afterwards with Judge William Lawrence.  Mr. Lawrence dropped out in a few years, but Mr. Slicer continued in the business until about 1852, when he quite the mercantile business and purchased a farm to its present state of cultivation; it is now a very valuable farm.  He was married, Nov. 23, 1843, to Sarah A. Rhodes.  She was born in Loudoun Co., Va., and came to Logan Co. in 1841.  They had eight children, one now dead, Mary C., Albert W., George F., Mary E., Norval W., Emma M., Sallie and Clarence.  Mr. Slicer and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 ~ Page 625
Bloomfield Twp -
J. M. SMITH, farmer; P. O., Bloom Centre; was born Nov. 13, 1827, in Franklin Co., O.; was a son of Jacob and Christina (Hall) Smith, of Pennsylvania.  They emigrated to Ohio in 1808.  MR. Jacob Smith was a soldier of 1812, and his father was a soldier of the Revolution.  Mr. Smith had seven brothers, and five sisters, who all lived to leave families of their own.  At an election in 1864 there were eight brothers, five brothers-in-law, and five grandsons, who voted the Democratic ticket.  J. M. Smith was married to Miss Elizabeth Smith, Jan. 22, 1852.  They have nine children - Frank P.; Amy, wife of Dr. O. C. Wilson, of Bloom Centre; Elizabeth A.; Uri N., Jacob W.; Lyman S.; Olive R.; John E. and Hermann E.  He owns 440 acres of good land, and belongs to Grange No. 484; also to the Reformed Church at Bloom Centre.  He is a strong Democrat, and one of the leading men of Logan Co.
(Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 731)
Harrison Twp. -
JOHN SMITH, farmer; P. O. Bellefontaine; was born in Jefferson Co., Ohio, Mar. 15, 1816; is son of Michael and Mary (Baird) Smith, who were natives of Northumberland Co., Pennsylvania, and came to Jefferson Co. in about 1800, where they resided until 1833, at which time they came to Logan Co., where they lived the balance of their days.  The father died in 1864, and the mother in about 1869; Mr. Smith was raised on a farm; received a common school education.  In 1838, he was married to Indiana Tullis, who was born in Logan Co., Jan. 15, 1816; her parents were natives of Kentucky, and came to Ohio in a very early day.  From this union there were eleven children, six of whom are now dead; the ones living are John W., George W., Robert R., Rebecca and James.  Mr. Smith began business for himself entirely upon his own resources, and, by hard work and proper economy, has accumulated quite a fortune.  He owns a farm of 320 acres of the finest land in Logan Co., and it is conceded to be the best improved and best managed farm the county can boast of.  Mr. Smith has brought this farm to its present state of cultivation, making all the improvements, and clearing most of the land; he has always followed farming and stock-growing for a business, and has shown himself to be master of the profession.  He had two sons in the late war, Samuel and Michael; they are now both dead.  He and his wife are members of the Lutheran Church, by which faith they aim to live consistently.
(Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 625)
Jefferson Twp. -
REV. LUTHER SMITH, son of Rev. Ely and Amy (Emerson) Smith, was born at Hollis, N. H., Aug. 11, 1800.  After attending grammar school at New Ipswich, Londonderry, and other places, he entered college at Brown University, from which he graduated in the class of 1824; studying law at Hollis, he removed to Kentucky in 1827, locating at Paris; he bought property about a mile from the village, and erected a suitable building and opened an Academy for the education of young men.  He conducted this for a number of years with eminent success, as far as education was concerned, but financially it was not profitable.  In October, 1834, he was united in marriage with Miss Lucretia Caldwell.  They were the parents of two sons, James Emerson Smith and William C. Smith.  Mrs. Smith inherited from her father a valuable tract of unimproved land in Jefferson Twp., on which they purposed settling and making a future home; but before this happy consummation she fell a victim to disease, and died near Louisville, Ky.  Mr. Smith was married a second time in December, 1845, to Miss Effie Moody, of Cliffton, Green Co., O., after which he removed to the farm in Logan Co., on which a house had been built and some land cleared.  Here he remained until January, 1850, when he consented to take charge of the West Liberty Union School, then being organized.  Remaining there until April, 1851, he again spent the summer on the farm, but went to Northwood, teaching in the college during the winter.  In the spring of 1852, he returned to the farm where he remained until April, 1855, when he again engaged in teaching at West Liberty.  During his residence there, as one of the Trustees of the Presbyterian College, then determined on by the church, but not yet located, he took a very active part in trying to secure the establishment of the institution at that place.  In 1858 he removed to Zanesfield, and in 1859 to the farm, where he remained until 1870, when his sons took charge of the farm and he removed to Zanesfield, where he has since resided.  He connected himself with the Presbyterian Church in Kentucky and commenced a course of theological study, at which time he was licensed to preach, but became dissatisfied and abandoned the profession.  He, however, took an active part in the affairs of the Church and, as noted in another connection, was a ruling elder and afterwards an ordained minister in the Zanesfield Presbyterian Church.  He has been a man of active temperament, and besides being prominently connected at one time with the Ohio State Agricultural Society, was one of the leaders in the Bellefontaine & Delaware railroad enterprise.  He was twice narrowly escaped death, once from being thrown from a runaway horse, and once from being thrown from a wagon while the team was running away.  In politics he is Democratic, having once been honored with a nomination for representative in Congress.
(Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 769)
MOSES SMITH, farmer; P. O., Bloom Centre; is one of the prominent and well-to-do farmers of this township, and is highly esteemed by all; he was born Oct. 12, 1819, in Pickaway Co.; his father, Jacob Smith, was born in 1792, in Lehigh Co., Pa., and when 14 years of age accompanied his parents to this State; they moved here in a wagon, and bought a tract of new land in Pickaway Co., on which they lived till their death; Jacob served in the war of 1812, and, in the above-named county, was married to Christina Smith, who was born in Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio at an early day; their union took place in 1812, and they always lived on the farm on which they commenced housekeeping.  Their union was blessed with nine sons and five daughters, all of whom were living at the time of his death in 1871.  His companion departed this life in 1873.  Moses commenced for himself shortly after he arrived at his majority, and for several years worked out and farmed; he rented property until he possessed the means to buy a farm of his own.  In October, 1851, he moved to where he now lives; the farm was partly cleared, but it was only by years of patient toil that it was brought to its present state of usefulness and value.  Mr. Smith held the office of Postmaster for eighteen years after coming to this township, it being known as the Muchinippi postoffice, and was discontinued a number of years ago.  He has been well connected with the township offices, and is now serving his twelfth term as Treasurer, a sufficient guarantee of his integrity and worth.  He cast his first vote for Martin Van Buren, and has never deserted his first love, the old Democratic party.  His marriage was celebrated Oct. 14, 1847, and has produced seven children; those living are - Marinda Irene, George M., Andrew M., Christina E., Maggie S. and Moses A.; the eldest two daughters are married; Andrew and Maggie are schoolteachers, as was also their sister Christina before her marriage.
(Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 628)
R. J. SMITH, teacher and farmer; P. O., Logansville; born in Pleasant Twp., in 1832, and remained at home till 18 years of age.  He worked by the month of the farm the following summer, then attended select school at Lewiston; he worked eighteen summers for Mr. Dickson, at Logansville, teaching school during the winters; he taught his first term of school when 18 years of age, in Bloomfield Twp.  Mr. Smith started life for himself at 21, with nothing but his empty, but willing hands, his father claiming all his earnings until he became of age.  He purchased a team and for a time rented land.  In 1871 he purchased what was called the John Ellis farm; farming that till 1876, he sold out and purchased 80 acres in Washington Twp., which he still owns; he rents the Dickson farm, and teaches school through the winter.  As a teacher he has been a grand success, teaching twelve terms in District No. 1, and six terms at Logansville.  Mr. Smith is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellow Lodges; he has held the office of Town Clerk for ten consecutive years, and is now serving his fifth year as Township Treasurer; has traveled through Pennsylvania, New York, Virginia, West Virginia, Indiana, and Illinois; visited the great Centennial Exhibition at Philadelphia, in 1876.  Politics, Democrat.  Mr. Smith has worked his own way in the world, and now stands on solid footing.
(Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 839)
ROBERT SMITH, farmer; P. O., West Liberty; Dec. 3, 1824, on the Donn Piatt farm, in the southeast part of the township, was the time and place where our subject first began taking his first observations.  His paternal ancestors were Robert and Isabella (Burnside) Smith.  the former was born in Greenbrier Co., Va., and emigrated to this state previous to the Indian war.  The Smiths and Burnsides are descendants of the Emerald Isle.  Robert, Sr., died in 1836; his wife in 1851.  Our subject was raised to hard labor, and early in life was taught the lesson of frugality and self-dependence.  In 1846 he was married to Mary Williams, born in Virginia in 1827; daughter of Jesse Williams, whose wife was a Hill.  Since 1849 he has been a constant resident of this township.  His first earnings were invested in a small tract lf land to which he has added until he now has 142 acres of land, and is to-day one of the best kept and managed farms in the township, its owner approximating as near the "model farmer" as any in the county.  His farm ahs been recently adorned by one of the best barns in the township, all of which, including fences and other improvements, give ample testimony of the thrift of the owner.  His early education was much neglected - his school having been one of hard labor, and a life of persistent economy.  It has been his rule in life never to go in debt, and has never had his farm encumbered by weeds or mortgages.  His wife died in March, 1875, leaving ten children (twelve were born).  Those living are William J., Robert, James and Henry (twins), Emma D., Mary E. and Effie B.
(Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 679)
Miami Twp. -
THOMAS J. SMITH, merchant; DeGraff.  Thomas J. Smith was born Apr. 1, 1843; when only 4 years of age his father moved to Washington Twp., Logan Co., and settled on a farm.  In 1850 he moved to Logansville; four yeas later he moved to De Graff, to engage in the practice of law; here Mr. Thomas Smith has since resided.  At 16 years of age he engaged as clerk in the dry goods establishment of Russell & Son.  Two years later he enlisted into the 15th U. S. Infantry, which did military service with the Army of the Cumberland; while he was in several minor engagements he was also in those most severe struggles of the war - Chickamauga, Stone River and Shiloh.  At Chickamauga, he was thrice wounded, once so severely as to prevent further active service.  The remainder of the time he was in the service of his country, and was employed as recruiting officer.  In the month of August, 1864, he was mustered out, a pensioner upon the bounty of the country he served so faithfully.  He now returned to De Graff and immediately engaged in the boot and shoe business, in which line of mercantile life he is still engaged.  In the month of December of the same year he married Miss Sarah E. Koogler whose early home was in De Graff; they have three children - Anna Luella, Thomas Roy and John I., respectively, 10, 5 and 2 years of age.  Besides his business he had charge of the Post Office for twelve years following his return from the war.  His business is now confined strictly to the boot and shoe trade, carrying a large and well selected stock.
(Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 782)
WILLIAM J. SMITH, farmer; P. O., De Graff; was born in Clarke Co., O., in 1830, and at 1 year of age came to Logan Co.; his father, William, was born in Clarke Co. in 1803, and remained there until 1831, when he moved to Logan Co., where he remained till his death, dying at the age of 71, or nearly that; he started in life a poor boy and with empty hands began life's toil; he accumulated a handsome little property, owning at one time 338 acres of land; his wife, Sarah Stockwell, was born in Highland Co., O., in 1813.  William J. Smith started life for himself at 21 by renting his father's farm for two years, and then bought 150 acres in Miami Twp., farmed that, and commenced stock-raising.  In 1855 he was married to Eveline Strayer, who died eleven months after; in the spring of 1859 he married his second wife, Sarah J. Raredon, who was born and brought up in Logan Co., Mr. Smith then moved on the farm he had previously purchased of 150 acres, and then renewed farming and commenced stock-dealing; in 1865 he moved from his farm and rented 178 acres of his father, at the same time keeping the stock on his own place; two years after he bought the farm he was renting, which, in 1832, was purchased by his grandfather, John Smith who had seen it during the war of 1812, as he was a soldier in frontier service, stationed near the present site of Logansville; in 1878 his wife inherited 100 acres from her father's estate, which they annually rent.  Mr. Smith spends most of his time raising, buying and shipping stock; he deals largely in cattle, sheep and hogs; is now feeding 110 head of hogs; he buys considerable grain in the course of a year to feed his growing herds; he is now breeding principally blooded stock, short-horn Durham in cattle, Marino sheep and Poland China hogs; at the county fair last year he received the first premium for presenting the finest hog, and also the first premium on a blooded cow, and second premium on a blooded bull, which clearly shows that he is raising some of the finest stock in the county;  he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and has always voted the Republican ticket; they have five children - Alma Frances, Edwin Segar, Eva Florence, Luella May and Wilber LorainMr. Smith commenced in the world with but $300, and is now recognized as one of the most progressive and influential citizens of the community.
(Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 839)
Washington Twp. -
W. G. T. SNYDER, farmer and stock-dealer; P. O., Lewistown; was born in Page Co., Va., March 16, 1852; a son of John W. and Cinderella Snyder Mrs. Snyder died in Virginia, 1861; Mr. Snyder moved to Champaign Co., O., in 1867, and died January 19, 1870.  The subject of our sketch was married to Miss Mary E. Loudenback, of Champaign Co., Nov. 10, 1872.  They now have two children - Carrie E.  and Imogene MayMr. Snyder is one of the enterprising, go-ahead men of this township; he owns 162 acres of well-improved land, with good buildings upon it; he has been elected Clerk of the Township and is now the popular Justice of the Peace of the Township.  He is an enthusiastic believer in the Democratic party.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 738) 
Richland Twp. -
HARRISON SPENCER, farmer; P. O., Huntsville; is the fourth child of Thomas and Mary (Roberts) Spencer, and was born Oct. 29, 1826, in Clinton Co.; his parents moved to this county when he was 1 year old, and he was reared to manhood in a pioneer home subject to the privations of all the first settlers; he was fond of the chase, and the country being full of game, his desires were easily gratified, many a deer falling before his trusty rifle; he lived under the parental roof until his marriage in Jan. 1850, to Ellen Hill, when he commenced doing for himself.  He has always been a tiller of the soil, and for many years has been improving the farm on which he now lives, having cleared nearly 70 acres himself; his wife died in Feb. 1866, leaving six children, four of whom are living - John, Franklin, James and Lincoln.  In March, 1869, he was married to Nancy Wagner, a native of Clarke Co., By his union two children have been born - Bertie and Clara.  His wife belongs to the Disciple Church.  He owns nearly 300 acres of land, and has always been a Republican.
(Source: History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 812)
Richland Twp. -
WASHINGTON SPENCER, farmer; P. O., New Richmond.  Among the early pioneers of this county, we take pleasure in naming the Spencer family, who came to this township in 1827, and settled on a farm of heavy forest land, which afterwards developed into a valuable property, under the aggressive strokes of this woodman's ax.  Thomas Spencer, the head of the family, had an erratic disposition when a young man, and visited most of the important places of interest in this country; he served in the war of 1812, as also did his father, William Spencer, who was one of the Revolutionary heroes.  After the war Thomas settled near Cincinnati for a short time, and was married to Ellen Johnston, who died in Clinton Co., after bearing him eight children; he was then united to Mary Roberts, a native of Adams Co., who accompanied him to this county; he died in 1848, and his wife two years later.  Washington was born in Clinton Co., Oct. 21, 1822, and never left the family fireside; at the death of his parents his sister kept house for him, and on Oct. 23, 1856, he was married to Ellen Hazel, daughter of William and Hannah Hazel.  She was born Oct. 20, 1835, in this county, to which her father came from Maryland, when 10 years old, his only relative being a younger brother.  Eight children are the fruits of this union, six of whom are living - Allen, Eva, Horatio, John, Mary and Willis.  He has been Trustee many years, and is identified with the Democracy.  He owns 141 acres of land near Richland, on which he is placing good buildings.
(Source: History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 812)
Liberty Twp. -
STANTON BROTHERS, merchants; West Liberty.  Prominently identified with the leading merchants of West Liberty are the Stanton brothers, whose firm name heads this sketch.  James, the eldest, engaged in teaching school for four winters, and afterwards was engineer at the Phoenix Iron Works in Chicago, and then kept books for some time for Jones & Co., job printers, at the same place.  In 1877, he, in partnership with his brother William, engaged in the present business, having a full line of dry goods and notions.  They devote their entire attention to the business, and employ one steady clerk.  They make a specialty of maple sweet, having handled during last season over 75,000 pounds of sugar and molasses.  Their father, Daniel, was born Aug. 30, 1808, and was the son of James and Ann (Newby) Stanton - the former a native of Virginia and the latter of North Carolina.  He was married in 1832 to the present Mrs. Angeline Stanton, a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Johnson) Watkins; the father was born in Sussex Co., Va., June 1, 1781, and the mother in Isle of Wight Co., Va.  Her father taught school in his younger days, and was elected County Surveyor, in which position he served for over twenty years.  Her parents then came to Mt. Pleasant, Jefferson Co., O., in 1831, and for some time engaged in the mercantile business.  He was soon after chosen President of the Bank at that place, retaining that position for many years, and also served as a director of the same; he had ten children, five of whom survive - Lambert, Angeline, William, Elizabeth and Lydia.  Both of the parents were members of the Friends' Church.  The parents of our subjects came to Logan Co., O., in 1832, and began life with only willing hands and stout hearts.  They settled in the green woods in a "squatter's" cabin, made of round logs, stick chimney.  puncheon floor, and doors hung on wooden hinges.  Here they enjoyed many happy hours among the thick forests and wild animals, but no time was lost, and soon the timber began to fall, and ere many years had elapsed they had prepared a beautiful farm of 75 acres, and ere the father died they possessed 191 acres.  They sold wheat at 30 cents per bushel and butter at 6 cents per pound, to pay off their debts and to obtain the necessaries of life.  They once sold a large fatted calf for $4, with which they liquidated their tax, it being that amount.  On Dec. 16, 1870, the father was stricken from life's roll on earth, and gathered into life eternal, leaving behind him the companion of his joys and sorrows, with whom he had shared for over thirty-eight years.  They had been during all of their lives members of the Friends' Church.  Mrs. Stanton is now pleasantly located in West Liberty with a part of her pleasant and intelligent family of eight children, who grew up to call her blessed.  A short time ago she was struck with paralysis, which may, ere long, waft her from the shores of time, but she will leave a record of having been a faithful Christian and a kind and loving mother and companion.  Her surviving children are - Elizabeth (married Isaac James); John, now in Rice Co., Kan.; James; Deborah (married E. Brown); William and Lydia.  The great-grandfather, James Stanton, was the son of Samson, born Aug. 7, 1836, and Ruth.  They had James, John, Sarah and Daniel.  The grandmother, Ann (Newby) Stanton, deceased Sept. 17, 1854, and was the last of the Newby family.  Her father, Thomas, was the son of Thomas and Mary Newby, and was the grandson of Thomas and Rebecca Pretlow.  Mary Newby was a daughter of John and Martha Lawrence, and was born Oct. 9, 1745.
Source: History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 724
Lake Twp. -
THOMAS M. STEVENSON, Bellefontaine; was born in Washington Co., Penn., Apr. 27, 1807, and is the son of Rev. Joseph and Sarah (Marquis) Stevenson.  They, in 1825, with a family of nine children, started in two wagons drawn by six horses, for Ohio.  They arrived in Logan Co., on the 7th of May, of that year, and located on a farm in a dense wood.  They moved into a log cabin built on the site of the brick house now known as the old homestead, remaining in this log cabin until 1828, when they builg the present brick house, which is, perhaps, one of the oldest residences in Lake Tp.  Rev. Joseph Stevenson, who was born Mar. 25, 1779, was a minister in the Presbyterian Church, taking an active part in organizing the Presbyterian churches at Bellefontaine, Sidney, Stone Creek and West Liberty; he died Feb. 24, 1805.  His wife, Sarah (Marquis) Stevenson, was born Sept. 5, 1780; she died July 25, 1849.  Our subject was married in 1828 to Judith Hover, who was born Oct. 29, 1806, having come to this county with her parents at an early day.  By this marriage they had nine children, of whom six are living.  She died Feb. 12, 1865.  Mr. Stevenson built his present home in 1829, where he has lived ever since building his log cabin in the woods.  He set out in clearing the land, and to-day, by hard work, the green fields and pastures stretch out from the old homestead on every hand. Mr. Stevenson, in his younger days, has hunted the deer and wild cat, having killed as high as three deer in one day.  The farm is now worked by his son, D. M. Stevenson, who is engaged in the dairy business.  He has one son, Joseph H., who is a Presbyterian preacher, now located in Pennsylvania.
Source: History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 611
Union Twp. -
CHARLES L. STEWART, farmer; P. O., West Liberty; was born in Harrison Twp., Champaign Co., May 21, 1839; is the only son of Wm. M. and Mary A. (Hanger) Stewart, whose sketch is in this work; he has made farm work his only pursuit, and resided on the old homestead until a short time since, when he built a splendid farm residence, barn and other buildings on the farm given him by his father, to which he moved Dec., 1879.  His marriage was celebrated with Lizzie E. Baird Oct. 8, 1868; they have two children - William L. and Linnie E.  Mrs. Stewart was born near West Liberty, Feb. 27, 1833, and is a daughter of Robert and Margaret Baird who were natives of Virginia, and came to Logan County at its early settlement.  Mr. Stewart's steady industry is well marked on the place where he resides; he also owns 40 acres of land in Champaign County adjoining his father's farm.
Source: History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 796
Pleasant Twp. -
ELIZA STOCKWELL, druggist; Logansville; born in Pleasant Twp., O., in 1855; he remained at home and worked on the farm till 23 years of age, when he started business for himself in DeGraff.  After continuing there for a time he returned home, and remained till July 3, 1878, when he commenced business in Logansville, in which he is still prosperously engaged.  He married in July, 1879, Miss Sarah K. Barnes, who had one child, which is dead.
Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - p. 840
Zane Twp. -
GEORGE W. STOKES, farmer and teacher; P. O., North Lewisburg.
     "Full many a gem, of purest ray serene,
     The dark, unfathomed caves of ocean bear."
     We often find persons with tact rather than talent, filling the learned professions, where merit should be the measure, while those whose natural gifts and acquirements really fit them for such positions, quietly pursue a retired life.  Of the latter comes to our mind the name of George W. Stokes, whom we first met at college.  He early evinced more than an ordinary aptness for learning, which, with a studious disposition, soon placed him far in advance of the boys of his age.  Having exhausted the curriculum of the country school, he spent two years at the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, and even here what was a task of hours to others was but a few minutes' work to him, such was his power to grasp the most intricate subjects.  Indeed, in his mind there is a remarkable combination of the power of close mathematical reasoning and an exceedingly retentive memory; hence, it would be difficult to find one so familiar as he with his details of ancient and modern history, so accurate is he as to dates and statements.  He was born in Union Co., Sept. 17, 1847.  His father, John Stokes, was born in Zane Tp., Nov. 18, 1818, and married July 4, 1840, Miss Emma Holly, born in Jefferson Co., N. Y., May 18, 1818.  Four children blessed the union - Oliver, George Weaver, Abram Holly, and Arminta Jane.  The first is a well-to-do farmer of Union Co.; the second is the subject of this biography, and the two younger are still with their parents.  George, on his return from college in 1868, taught school, which he has followed up to the present time during the winter, excepting two years, and almost exclusively in his home district; such is the attachment of his neighbors among whom he has grown up.  On Independence Day, 1874, he led to the altar Miss Maria Elizabeth Cowgill who was born in Union Co., Nov. 20, 1850, a descendant of one of the pioneers and an accomplished, amiable woman, of more than ordinary intellectual acquirements.  Two sweet children came to their home to gladden their hearts - Willard Byron, born Nov. 9, 1879; Florence Gale, Jan. 20, 1878.  Six years of happy married life was given them, but ere the seventh had begun, early in the spring of 1880, George Stokes was called to see pass from this life she who had been to him all a true and loving wife could be.  The shock was almost greater than he could hear, and it was months ere he recovered from the effects of the ordeal.  His residence is on the farm originally improved by John Warner in 1809.  The Stokes are from the very best families of "Old Virginia," and his grandfather, who had married Phoebe Euans, came to Zane Tp., it is said, as early as 1805, when there were not a dozen white settlers here.  He was one of the first to engage in sugar making on a large scale  He served with distinction in the war of 1812, and was a stirring, successful man, and was usually known as Capt. Stokes.  He raised a family of three sons and five daughters.
Source: History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 640
Jefferson Twp. -
GEORGE STRICKLAND, retired farmer; P.O., Huntsville; was born in the State of New Jersey in 1794 and moved to Ohio in 1830, and settled on the farm he now owns;  He was married Mar. 24, 1824, and he and his wife lived together forty-two years; they had twelve children, of whom eight are now living; the eldest, Dr. John, of Lincoln, Neb., is one of the wealthiest men in that young and prosperous state.  Mr. and Mrs. Stickland settled on their farm several years before the Indians left the neighborhood, but, by always treating them fair, were always friendly and never had any trouble with them.  When he settled his place it was a good day's work to go to Bellefontaine over the Indians paths, as there were at that time no roads.  They had to go to Sandusky to mill.  He is now living with his son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Al. Knight; he is a member of the Dunkard Church, and has always been a Jackson Democrat, but believes in voting for the best men.
(Source:  History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 738
Bokes Creek Twp. -
WILLIAM SWISSGOOD, farmer; P. O., Ridgeway; was born in Franklin Co., Ohio, in 1818, and removed to Logan Co., Ohio, in 1846; he was married to Miss Elizabeth Johnson, by whom he had seven children - James, Andrew, Ann Ellen, Rosanah, Linda Myra, Samuel and Elizabeth.  His first wife died in 1857.  Mr. Swissgood was again married to Emily Kerns, by whom he has had nine children - Mary, Fanny, John, Joseph, Jacob, Sarah, Hamilton, Thomas and Robert.  Mr. Swissgood's farm consists of 384 acres of land, over which the hand of improvement has passed, and his seems at once the home of competence and satisfaction.  As a stockraiser his attention has been more particularly directed to the raising and handling of horses, although he has all the usual appointments of a well regulated farm.
Source: History of Logan County and Ohio - Chicago: O. L. Basking & Co., Historical Publishers, 186 Dearborn Street. - 1880 - Page 664

NOTES:

 

CLICK HERE to Return to
LOGAN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights