OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Montgomery Co., Ohio
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
The History of the City of Dayton
and
The Montgomery County, Ohio.

by Rev. A. W. Drury
1909

  CHARLES E. HALLER, superintendent of the Department of Infirmary of Dayton, was born in this city, Jan. 24, 1860, and was here reared, the public schools affording him his opportunities in an educational way.  He passed through consecutive grades and at length was graduated from the Miami Commercial College with the class of 1880.  Thus trained for business life, he secured a clerkship in a Dayton store and for four years acted in that capacity, but all the time he was imbued with the ambition to one day became the owner of a business that his labors might more directly benefit himself.  to this end he carefully saved his earnings until his capital was sufficient to enable him to start upon an independent venture.  He then established a wholesale confectionery house and for fourteen years conducted the business with growing and gratifying success.  He was afterward identified with various other lines, including five years spent in the insurance business, and on the 10th of July, 1908, he was appointed to his present office by the board of public service.  His faithfulness and capability in the discharge of his duties thus far have won for him high commendation and the merited confidence and good will of those who are familiar with his public service.
     On the 2d of October 1883, in Dayton Mr. Haller was united in marriage to Miss Anna L. Focht, and they have one daughter, Myrtle M., who is now the wife of Clarence Crewe and they have one child, Anna MayMr. and Mrs. Haller have a pleasant home in which they extend cordial hospitality to their many friends.  Mr. Haller belongs to the Odd Fellows Society in both the subordinate lodge and the encampment and is a member of the First Reformed church.  He gives his political allegiance to the democracy and while the honors and emoluments  of office are not sufficiently attractive to him to cause him to seek political preferment, he is nevertheless awake to the duties and obligations as well as the privileges of citizenship and seeks the city's welfare through his cooperation in many measures for the public good.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 420
  MARTIN L. HALLER, SR., is a retired gardener of Harrison township, Montgomery County, Ohio, and the owner of some fine truck land on Germantown street, just on the edge of the city of Dayton.  He was born in Frederick county, Maryland, Oct. 19, 1842, the son of Henry and Elizabeth (Barger) Haller.  His paternal grandfather, Daniel Haller, was the first of the family to come to this county.  He had retired from active life at the time of his arrival here and was accounted a man of means, as the holder of considerable land in the state of his birth.  Henry Haller came to Ohio from Maryland in 1848 and located in Harrison township, where he was among the early settlers and did his share toward making the land ready for the great improvements and growth that the last half century witnessed.  Six children were born to Henry Haller, of whom Richard, Mary Jane and Catherine, have died, but William, Susan and Martin are still living useful lives.
     Martin L. Haller was but a very small boy when he came with his parents to this county and might be said to have grown up with the region which has been his hoe for sixty years.  He has taken part of this change and has witnessed it from many points of view, for he attended the country schools, the only schools he ever knew, before they even aspired to anything like their present proficiency, and during his youth and early manhood worked on the Patterson farm, which was absorbed by the growing city of Dayton, incorporated within its boundaries and made a part of its civic life.   Many others are the transformations that Mr. Haller has witnessed during the years of his active life and many are the stories he could relate of that life now passed.  He can also tell of the many acts of bravery that came under his own eyes during the course of the Civil war, for he was among that vast army that answered to the call of the nation when it was threatened with dissolution, having enlisted in the One Hundred and Thirty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry under Colonel Lowe.  Upon his discharge from the army Mr. Haller devoted all his energies to that phase of life which had already engrossed the greater part of his time - farming.  He worked diligently and saved carefully and soon had enough money to make the first payment upon his present farm.  Truck gardening appealed to him as more profitable on his land than general farming, and of this he has made a very decided success.
     On the 29th of September, 1864, Mr. Haller was married to Miss Amanda Miller, who died in 1905, after having borne and reared eight children and seeing her later years gladdened by several grandchildren.  Eva, who was the eldest of the family, married Joseph Bitner and became the mother of four children, Lottie, Estella, Clifford and Eugene.  Harry, the first son, married Miss Emma Puterbaugh and is the father of two children, Elizabeth and RobertDaisy is the wife of Luther Fraver, who has taken active charge of things on the truck farm, and by whom she has one son, Harold.  Luther Haller married Miss Amanda West and is now the father of Lelah, Ralph, Grace and Jeannette.  Katie is the wife of John Dunkle, a preacher of the gospel, and they have four children, Sharon, Ruth, Catherine and Agnes.  Hattie is the wife of A. Schopalla and the mother of one daughter, Irene.  Russell, the youngest son, lives at home.  Elizabeth is deceased.
     Mr. Haller is a member of the United Brethren church and is a Christian in every sense of the word as exemplified by his daily acts.  During all the years of his long life he has been dependent upon himself alone for his advancement.  He early learned the secret of success and justly deserves the rest from active cares and the comforts he now enjoys on the farm, which has the scene of his arduous labors.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 11.
  JONATHAN HARSHMAN, JR., was born in Harshmanville, Montgomery county, Ohio, Feb. 15, 1812, and died in Dayton, Ohio, Dec. 25, 1876.  His grandfather, Christian Harshman, (sometimes spelled Herschman) was born in Germany, Apr. 22, 1744, and died Oct. 26, 1816, in Frederick county, Maryland.
     His father, Jonathan Harshman, Sr., was born in Frederick county, Maryland, Dec. 21, 1781, and died in Harshmanville, Mar. 31, 1850.  He was a miller, farmer, shipper, merchant and banker, a very successful man and left a comfortable fortune to each of his eight children.
     The subject of this sketch was married Oct. 4, 1836, to Abigail, daughter of John Hivling, a prominent citizen of Xenia.  Their children were Martha, who married Thomas O. Lowe; George, who married Julia Deuel; Susan, who married Oswald Cammann, of New York.  Two others, Charles and Mary, died before their parents.
     Jonathan Harshman, Jr., went to Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, when thirteen or fourteen years old and after leaving their followed his father in milling, farming and banking and added largely to his inherited wealth, but lot it all on Black Friday, 1873.
     In 1852 he formed a co-partnership with Valentine Winters, James R. Young and Robert R. Dickey for the purpose of carrying on a general banking business in the city of Dayton under the firm name of Harshman, Winters & Company. Robert R. Dickey and James R. Young soon retired from the firm and the name was then changed to Harsman & Winters and afterward called the Exchange Bank.  In 1857 he sold his interest in the firm to his partner and in 1860 the banking house of Harshman & Company was formed, which in1863 was merged into the Second National Bank, of which he was president.  Shortly after he and his brother Joseph Harshman formed the banking house of Harshman & Company and also owned mills at Osborn, Ohio, and did a large business in chipping grain and flour.
     During the first years of the late Civil war he always honored certificates of deposit regardless of the strict letter of legal obligation.  For instance if there had been placed upon the certificate a memorandum merely which indicated gold or silver or both as was often the case although the body of the draft contained no signed of coin and the premium on gold at that time was fifty to one hundred per cent, he honored the draft.  He was interested with Valentine Winters and E. H. Drake in building and equipping the first railroad in Minnesota in 1862.
     He was elected county commissioners in the First Presbyterian church and was a great friend of some of the well known pastors of that church, particularly the Rev. P. D. Gurley, who after leaving Dayton went to Washington and was pastor of the church which Abraham Lincoln attended and was with Lincoln when he died.  He was a man of irreproachable morals, great kindliness of disposition, of broad views and generous impulses, a kind and loyal friend and was highly esteemed by his fellow citizens.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 937
  JONATHAN HARSHMAN, SR., pioneer citizen of Montgomery County, Ohio, and founder of the Harshman family, which in direct descent and by intermarriage is one of the most influential and representative families of the county, was born in Frederick county, Maryland, on the 21st day of December, 1781.  His ancestral record shows that his grandfather, Andrew Herschman, (as the name was then spelled) was born in Germany, lived there all his life and died at the remarkable age of one hundred and twenty years.  The exact place of his birth and residence in Germany we are unable to give.  A son Christian, the father of the subject of this sketch, also born in Germany, came to the United States when a lad and settled in Frederick county, Maryland, and in course of time married the daughter of a neighboring farmer, which marriage we are informed was a most happy one.  From this marriage nine children were born as follows:  John, Anna Maria, Esther, Philip, Christian, Jonathan, Susanna, Catherine and Christina.
     Jonathan Harshman
, the sixth child of this marriage, in the year 1805 with some others from the same section of Maryland, emigrated to the state of Kentucky, settling near Lexington, but after remaining there about a year, he again returned to his former home in Maryland, when, after a short residence, he again became possessed of the desire to return to Kentucky, which he did, but not liking the institution of slavery then existing there and seeing no present hope for its abolishment he then came to Ohio and settled in Mad River township, Montgomery county, on a farm now owned by his grandchildren, George Harshman and Susan Harshman Cammann, and later on purchased the property which became the site of Harshmanville, where he resided until his death, Mar. 31, 1850.
     On the 18th day of February, 1808, Mr. Harshman was united in marriage with Susanna Rench, who was born Nov. 11, 1786, in Washington county, Maryland, and was a sister of John Rench, also a pioneer settler of this county, who came from Maryland soon after Mr. Harshman did.  The first year Mr. Harshman settled on his farm, he built a cabin late in the fall, hanging the door and putting in a one four light window himself.  He set to work with a will and soon became actively engaged in farming, milling, merchandising and distilling.  Everything he touched seemed to bring him success.  In connection with his brother-in-law, John Rench, Mr. Harshman opened a store, corner of Main and Third streets, Dayton, under the firm name of Harshman & Rench, in 1829.  They also opened a warehouse at the head of the canal basin and started a number of boats on the canal just opened between Dayton and Cincinnati, doing an extensive business in shipping and merchandising, their business in these lines extending all the way from Dayton to New Orleans.  During his business career, Mr. Harshman had the entire confidence of the business community and by his industry and judgment accumulated the largest fortune possessed by any citizen of Montgomery county in his day.
     In the year 1825, Mr. Harshman was elected on the whig ticket from this county a member of the general assembly of the state of Ohio, serving one term, and on May1st 1845, he was elected president of the Dayton Bank, which position he held until his death.  When the National road, was authorized by congress from Cumberland, Maryland, to St. Louis, Missouri, Mr. Harshman in connection with other influential citizens of Dayton sought to have it laid out through this city, but on objection being urged that it would not be a straight line, by citizens of Springfield, the request of the citizens of Dayton was refused.  Thereupon a number of Dayton men in connection with Mr. Harshman, organized the Dayton & Springfield Turnpike Company, of which Mr. Harshman was made president, and they built the turnpike from Springfield to Dayton, Ohio.
     During the Mexican war, Mr. Harshman acted on a committee to raise means for the support of families of the men who had volunteered in the army and was very active in that regard.  In everything tending to the growth of Dayton and of his home county, he also took an active part.
     Susanna Harshman, wife of Jonathan Harshman, died Dec. 5, 1829.  Their marriage was blessed with a family of eight children: Elizabeth, born Nov. 17, 1808, married Israel Huston, Catherine, born Jan. 4, 1810, married Valentine Winters.  Jonathan, born Feb. 15, 1812, died Dec. 25, 1876.  He was named after his father and married Abigail Hivling who was born Jan. 27, 1813, and died Jun. 6, 1879.  Mary, born Jan. 17, 1816, married George Gorman John Rench, born Nov. 6, 1818, died Aug. 31, 1819.  Joseph, born Oct. 24, 1820, married Caroline Protzman, daughter of Colonel Protzman George W., born Feb. 22, 1822, married Ann Virginia Rohrer.  Susanna, born May 22, 1823, married Daniel Beckel, Reuben D., born Jan. 16, 1827, married Mary Protzman.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 848
  ABEL HOOVER.  The name of Abel Hoover has long been associated with manufacturing interests in Miamisburg and has ever stood as a synonym for commercial enterprise, integrity and reliability.  For a considerable period Abel Hoover has been a factor in connection with the productive industries of the city and is still financial interested therein although he is largely retired in that he leaves the management of his manufacturing interests to others save for the general supervision which he gives his business.  He was born in Miamisburg, Sept. 5, 1832, and is descended in the paternal line from German ancestry.  His grandfather, Frederick Hoover, was a native of Pennsylvania and a farmer by occupation.  Removing to Ohio he became one of the very early settlers of Montgomery county where he engaged in farming until old age incapacitated him for further labor of that character.  He then retired and removed to Miamisburg, where his last days were spent.  He married a Miss Herman who also died when well advanced in years.  They were the parents of six sons and two daughters: David, Martin, Isaac, John, Simon, William, Catharine and Mrs. Isaac Treon.
    
Of this family David H. Hoover, father of Abel Hoover, was born in Pennsylvania but was reared to farm life in Montgomery county, Ohio, and when he became a man turned his attention to the manufacture of threshing machines in Miamisburg.  He took up that work in the '40s and continued in the implement business for many years, becoming one of the well known and prominent representatives of that line of trade and manufacture in this part of the state.  He married Miss Catharine Houtz, also a native of Pennsylvania and a daughter of John Houtz.  Her father lived in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, where he conducted a distillery, a flour mill, a cooper shop and a store.  He was one of the most prominent business men of that part of the state and in addition to his commercial and industrial interests he was a very extensive landowner, his possessions aggregating about nineteen thousand acres.  He was a pioneer of Montgomery county, Ohio, where he engaged in farming and here he also established a distillery, sending his products down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers on flat boats to New Orleans.  He afterward removed to Miami county, discontinued manufacturing because of a belief that the course was wrong and became a strict Presbyterian.  He died at an old age.  He and his wife reared a large family of children including: Nancy, Catharine, Eliza, Barbara, Mary, Christina, John, Samuel and Jeremiah.  Among this number was Catharine who became Mrs. David H. Hoover.  The death of Mr. Hoover occurred at Miamisburg when he was seventy years of age while his wife survived him for a number of years and passed away at the very venerable age of eighty-seven years.  They were both consistent members of the Methodist church, their Christian faith being the guiding principle in their life.  Unto them were born three children: Elizabeth, who is the widow of Charles Allen, and is now residing in Miamisburg; Abel  of this review; and Samantha, the wife of William Gamble of Miamisburg.
     Abel Hoover has spent his entire life in the city of his nativity.  In his boyhood days he pursued his education in the old-time subscription schools, in select schools and in the Ohio Wesleyan University, where he was a student for a short time.  He afterward went to work in his father's shop and later became interested in the business as a partner.  Following his father's death he continued the business and is still connected with manufacturing interests, the output of the factory at the present time being machinery for making twine.  The business has long been a profitable venture, capably conducted along modern business lines and its manufactured product finds a ready and profitable sale on the market.
     On the 7th of April, 1858, Mr. Hoover was united in marriage to Miss Clara E. Hoff, a daughter of William and Eliza (Leis) Hoff.  Mrs. Hoover was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, in the town of Wammelsdorf and her parents were also natives of the Keystone state.  they arrived in Miamisburg in the '40s and the father here engaged in the dry-goods business.  Unto them were born eight children, five sons and three daughters, of whom three are now living: Mrs. Clara Hoover; Mary C., who is the widow of George A. Black of Dayton; and H. C. Hoff, of Miamisburg.  The father lived in Miamisburg for many years and engaged in the dry-goods trade here, becoming recognized as one of the leading and representative merchants of the city.  He died in 1876 at the age of sixty-seven years, while his wife survived him for eight years and was seventy-two years of age at the time of her demise.  The paternal grandfather of Mrs. Hoover was George Hoff, a native of Pennsylvania, who served as a soldier in the War of 1812.  His wife bore the maiden name of Margaret Nice.  The maternal grandfather of Mrs. Hoover was George Neis.
 
    The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Abel Hoover has been blessed with six children, but Harry and Herbert died in early childhood.  William D., who is now living in Denver, Colorado, married Miss Elizabeth Hunt and they have two children, Edward and Donald.  Charles F., an eminent physician practicing in Cleveland, Ohio married Miss Catharine Frazier and they had one daughter, Catharine.  George Albert, who married a Miss Taylor, is living in Detroit, Michigan.  Esther Belle is the wife of Oscar E. Linderholm and they reside in Chester, Texas, with their one daughter, Clara Christine.  Such in brief is the life history of Abel Hoover, a man whose record reflects credit upon Miamisburg, his native city, and throughout his life the place of his residence.  Some years since he passed the Psalmist's allotted span of three score years and ten, and he remains a most respected resident here, honored by reason of what he has accomplished and the straightforward business methods which he has ever pursued.  In all relations he has measured up to the full standard of manhood.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 802
  JOHN J. HOOVER, practicing at the Dayton bar as a successful attorney, was born in Grafton, Pennsylvania, Dec. 3, 1869.  His youthful days were there passed to the age of about nineteen years, during which time he attended the public schools, continuing his studies in Juniata College, at Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, from which institution he was graduated with the B. E. degree in the class of 1889.  He afterward engaged in teaching school for three years in Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, and also spent three years as a representative of the teacher's profession in Butler county, Ohio.  On the expiration of that period he removed to Dayton and was upon the road for two years, representing the firm of McClung Brothers, cigar dealers of this city.  Thinking, however, to find the profession of law a more congenial pursuit, he entered the Cincinnati Law School, and following his graduation in 1894, he opened an office in Dayton, where he has practiced continuously since.  His knowledge of the law and his ability in correctly applying its principles have brought him a good clientage, his success being demonstrated in the extent and importance of the legal interests entrusted to his care.
     Mr. Hoover is also recognized as a leader in democratic circles in Dayton, and while the party is in the minority here he has been honored with its nominations, having been a candidate for the school board at one time and again for the legislature.  He now holds membership in Gravel Hall Club, a democratic organization.  In his fraternal relations he is a Knight of Pythias and belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America.  His religious faith is indicated in his membership in Grace Reformed church.
     In 1895 Mr. Hoover was united in marriage to Miss Maud Brosier, and they have four children, Miriam Lucille, John Ruskin, Earl Reese and Rodney Robert.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Hoover have many warm friends in Dayton, where they have always resided.  Mr. Hoover is a gentleman of genial manner and unfailing courtesy, whose interests are not narrowed down to those things which affect only himself and his success but reach out along broader lines, finding manifestation in his genial interest in and laudable spirit toward municipal affairs that affect the growth, progress and improvement of his city.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 382
  WILLIAM H. HOSKOT, assistant postmaster of Dayton, was born in this city Nov. 21, 1852.  When the days of his early boyhood had passed his time during that period being largely given to the acquirement of a public-school education, he secured employment in a brickyard, being at that time a little lad of ten years.  He worked there through the summer and then secured a position in the employ of T. A. Phillips, manufacturer of cotton batting remaining in that service for sixteen months.  He next worked for Henry Dornbusch, driving a cart, after which he went into the Journal office, where he served for a year as office boy.  His next employment was as cash boy in the Beehive Dry Goods store, where he remained for seven years, his willingness to work, his faithfulness and ready adaptability bringing him through successive promotions to the position of bookkeeper.  He then entered the Second National Bank as messenger and for seven years was connected with the financial affairs of that institution.  Resigning his position to engage in business on his own account he established a steam laundry in 1877.  This he conducted until 1893 when his plant was destroyed by fire.  About that time he received the appointment of deputy criminal court clerk, serving for two years, after which he was made chief deputy and occupied the position for ten years.  In 1906 he was appointed assistant postmaster of Dayton, in which connection he is capably administering the affairs of the office in a most businesslike manner, the work being thoroughly systematized while promptness and accuracy characterize every department.
     On the 24th of June, 1874, Mr. Hoskot was married in Dayton to Miss Fannie C. Schaeffer and they had four children:  Minnie R., the wife of J. H. Merkle; Tom S.; Catharine I., the wife of Albert King and Florence.  Mrs. Hoskot died May 2, 1909.  Mr. Hoskot is well known in several fraternities, holding membership with the Masons, the Knights of Pythias, the Foresters, the Woodmen and the Elks and in his life exemplifies the beneficent spirit which underlies these orders.  He belongs also to the Bicycle and Garfield Clubs and his religious faith is indicated in his membership in the First Reformed church.  In his different business associations Mr. Hoskot has ever commanded the respect and confidence of those with whom he has been connected while his official record has at all times been characterized by an unfaltering and faithful performance of duty.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 646

NOTES:

 


 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights