OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Montgomery Co., Ohio
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
The History of the City of Dayton
and
The Montgomery County, Ohio.

by Rev. A. W. Drury
1909


John C. Schenck
ROBERT CUMMING SCHENCK

Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 5


Anna Belle Shoup
  ANNA BELLE SHOUP.  The name Shoup has long been identified with the interests of Dayton and Ohio and in the paternal line the subject of this review is also a representative of an old pioneer family of the state, being the granddaughter of Samuel Tate, Sr., who came to Ohio from Pennsylvania, in 1816.  He has just been married there and with his bride started for the "far west."  They started from a point near Uniontown Pennsylvania, made their way down the Ohio river to Cincinnati and on horseback to Dayton.  Here the young husband soon established a still on what is known as Tate Hill, which later became one of the leading distilleries of Ohio, its manufactured product being widely sold.  Mr. Tate remained a resident of Dayton throughout the residue of his days, passing away at the venerable age of eighty-three years.  He had married Miss McCurty and unto them were born three sons and two daughters.
     Joel O. Shoup, the father of Anna Belle, was born in Fredericksburg, Maryland and in early life came to Dayton.  He was identified with commercial interests in this city as proprietor of a general store for a number of years but eventually sold out in that line and entered the banking business, organizing the firm of J. O. Shoup & Company, for the conduct of a private bank.  In this undertaking he met with success and was recognized as one of the leading representatives of financial interest here.  Subsequently he went to Davenport where he handled farm machinery, and his death occurred during his temporary residence of that state.  In early manhood he had married Miss Isabel Tate and unto them were born six children, of whom four are living: Ida, now the wife of William White, a manufacturer of Chicago; Anna Bell, who is residing in Dayton; Clara, the wife of R. N. Connable of Baltimore; and Joel O.  The father died in 1865 and was long survived by his wife, who passed away in 1890.  The entire family have been life-long members of the Episcopal church and both Miss Anna Belle and Joel O. Shoup are communicants of Christ Episcopal church.  The former is conducting a large catering business here and is numbered among the enterprising business women of this city, having an extensive patronage in the line which she has chosen as a life work.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 344

H. B. Shoup
  HENRY B. SHOUP scarcely needs introduction to the readers of this volume for during the many years of his residence in Montgomery county he has become widely known as an enterprising business man and valued and representative citizen.  He also deserves mention in these pages because of the fact that he is a veteran of the Civil war, giving valiant aid to his country in her hour of need.
     A native of Pennsylvania, his birth occurred in Roherstown, Lancaster county, on the 31st of October, 1835.  He is a son of John and Mary (Beuhler) Shoup, natives of Switzerland and Germany respectively, the former being born in 1806 and the latter in 1805.  They came to the United States in childhood, at the age of four or five years.  Upon their arrival in America, because of their inability to pay for their passage, they were bound out for service but fortunately their employer was a good man and they were soon able to work out their passage, the father selling bread and cakes.  They were married in Pennsylvania and came to Ohio in 1838, where the father engaged in general farming.  He passed away in the fall of 1862, while his wife's demise occurred in 1848, their remains being interred in Woodland cemetery.  In their family were eleven children: Martin, Henry B., Rev. John, Elias, Fannie, Caroline, Elizabeth, Mary, and three who died in infancy.  Elias was killed in the Civil war, while Fannie, Caroline and Mary have also passed away.  The others are still living.
     Henry B. Shoup was a little lad of three years when he accompanied his parents to Ohio, the family home being made near Canton.  In 1845 he removed to Clark county but he has been a resident of Montgomery county since 1848.  He attended the common schools of Ohio and therein acquired a good education that fitted him for a responsible and practical duties of life.  Throughout almost his entire business career he  has been engaged in the lime business and has met with gratifying success in that line of activity.  In the year 1880 he moved to his present location in Wayne township, Montgomery county, his farm consisting of one hundred and eighty-one acres.  This property is not only excellent farming land but is also rich in its lime deposits and here Mr. Shoup has since been continuously engaged in making or burning lime, marketing his product in Dayton.  That he has been successful is dictated by the extent of the business which he does which, having reached large proportions, is continually increasing in size and importance.  He averages about seventy-five thousand bushels of Dayton every day.
     An interruption to his busy career came in 1862 when, in March of that year, he put aside all personal considerations and enlisted in Company F, Sixty-first Regiment of Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  This was consolidated with the Eighty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry in April, 1865, owing to the small number of men left in the regiment.  He participated in several important battles and in various skirmishes, among the former being the second battle of Bull Run and the engagement at Gettysburg.  He was also with Sherman on his celebrated march to the sea and participated in the grand review held at Washington, which was the most famous military pageant ever witnessed in the history of his country.  He was honorably discharged in Kentucky, Aug. 5, 1865, and returned home with an excellent military career, for throughout his entire service  he had never lost a day through sickness or injury and at all times was most gallant in his defense of the old flag and loyal to the cause which it represented.
     It was on the 25th of September, 1855, that Mr. Shoup was united in marriage to Miss Mary Lewis, who was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, in 1834.  Unto this union were born ten children, namely: William H., born Mar. 21, 1858; John, July 22, 1860; Benjamin, Oct. 19, 1862; Elias, May 15, 1866; Myrtle, Jan. 12, 1868; Rose, June 6, 1870; Baniah, Feb. 28, 1872; Anna, Feb. 6, 1873; Dolly, Dec. 2, 1874; and Maud, June 28, 1878.  Rose and Baniah have both passed away, their remains being interred in Shears cemetery.  The other members of the family are all married with the exception of Benjamin.  On the 17th of April, 1892, the wife and mother was called to her final rest and her remains were buried at New Carlisle.  She was an excellent wife, a loving mother and a true friend and her loss was felt throughout the community in which she resided.
     Mr. Shoup is a prominent and valued member of the United Brethren church of which he is treasurer, and was a superintendent of the Sunday school for fifteen years.  His loyalty to the church is indicated by the fact that for several years during his residence in Dayton he drove each Sunday all the way from that city to attend the services held at Sulphur Grove.  In politics he is a republican and he has served as trustee of his township.  Mr. Shoup may well claim the proud American title of a self-made man for whatever success that is his today has come entirely through his own well directed efforts, his industry and perseverance.  Personally he is esteemed and honored by all men.  His name is not only inscribed upon the list of those who went valiantly forth at the time of the nation's peril and faced the dangers of warfare, but, as a worthy and upright citizen and Christian gentleman, he will be honored throughout the coming years.  He has just returned from Salt Lake City where he attended the Grand Encampment of 1909.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 888
  JOEL OHIO SHOUP is identified with various business enterprises, all of which proving profitable cources of income because of the keen business discernment and unfaltering diligence manifested in their control.  He is now a member of the firm of Shoup & Heeter, conducting a leaf tobacco business; of the firm of Shoup & Company, general contractors; and of the Edgemont Building Association, of which he is the president.
     He was born July 15, 1859, at Davenport, Iowa, during the temporary residence of his parents there.  His education was acquired in the public schools of Dayton.  After completing his literary course he began reading law and acted as the first law librarian of the county court, which position he filled for ten years.  He then organized the Dayton Paper Novelty Company and continued at its head for two years, after which he sold out and was elected county recorder.  He filled that position for two terms for six years, during which time he most capably discharged the duties of the office, his record winning him high encomiums.  He next turned his attention to the hotel business, in which he was engaged with Torrence Huffman, as proprietor of the Beckel Hotel from 1887 until 1900, and in the meantime he had extended his efforts into other fields of labor, being a man of keen discernment and of resourceful business ability.  He joined D. M. Heeter in the leaf tobacco business under the firm style of Shoup & Heeter, which association has since been profitably maintained.  In 1901 he organized the firm of J. O. Shoup & Company, general contractors in reenforced concrete and street paving. He was one of the organizers and is now the president of the Edgemont Building Association, is a director of the Dayton Ice Manufacturing & Cold Storage Company and a director and one of the organizers of the Home Telephone Company.  His interests have long been varied and important and their successful control is unmistakable evidence of his business ability and indefatigable energy.
     Mr. Shoup was married in 1886 to Miss Carrie L. Bunstine, a native of Montgomery county and a daughter of Jacob Bunstine, a manufacturer.  They now have one child, Dorothy, and they also lost one child, Marian.  Mr. Shoup is a member of the original Dayton Club and also one of the members of the Dayton Golf Club.  In Masonry he has attained high rank, having taken the degrees of the Knights Templar Commandery and of the Mystic Shrine.  He also belongs to Christ Episcopal church, and his is a well rounded character which excludes none of those interests or activities that mark the development of strong and upright manhood.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 259

C. D. Slagle
  C. D. SLAGLE, M. D.   Dr. C. D. Slagle, one of the prominent physicians of Centerville, was born Aug. 29, 1871, in Sciotoville, near Portsmouth, Ohio, and is the son of Dr. Jacob and Margaret (Dodge) Slagle.  The mother is still living in Portsmouth, but the father, who was born in Olpa, in the province of Baden, Germany, one the 20th of July, 1847, died Jan. 29, 1904.  He was but an infant when his parents, George and Mary (Schaffer) Slagle, came to this country.  The former was born Mar. 11, 1811, in Baden, Germany, the son of Shriver Slagle, a Frenchman, and was educated in the land of his birth.  He followed the life of a winemaker and farmer.  In 1848 he disposed of all his business and came to this country, making his way immediately to Ohio.  He settled in Scioto county and followed the life of a farmer until his death, which occurred Mar. 27, 1877.  His wife, who was born in Baden Germany, Dec. 1, 1810, survived him something over six years, her death occurring on the anniversary of her birth, 1883.  Dr. Jacob Slagle received his education in the common schools of Ohio, and his medical degree from the Miami Medical College in Cincinnati in 1877.  He began the practice of his profession in Scioto county, where he remained for about twelve years locating in Portsmouth in 1890.  Six years later he went to California but returned to Ohio in 1901, making his home in Troy, this state, until his death, which occurred Jan. 29, 1904.  For three years he served in the Union Army during the Civil war, enlisting in 1862 as a member of the For-seventh Kentucky Volunteer Infantry.  Seven children were born to him and  his wife; C. D., Franklin J., Willard G., Clara B., Catherine M., Otto S. and Harland E.
     C. D. Slagle
received his early education in the common schools of the place of his birth and later attended the high school at Wheelersburg, Ohio, from which he was graduated.  For the next two years he was taught by a German, Professor Neihbauer.  In 1894 he entered the Starling Medical College, at Columbus, Ohio, from which he received his degree in 1897.  There upon he joined his father in Portsmouth and for a year assisted him in caring for his patients.  The work was heavy, however, and told upon the health of both men, so that they were compelled to leave and go to California, though the younger man remained here for a short time to close up the business and did not go west until 1898.  He practiced there for a short while, but was not very favorably impressed with the country and returned to this state in July, 1898.  Montgomery county has been the scene of his professional labors ever since.
     On the 22 of April, 1896, was solemnized the marriage of Dr. Slagle and Miss Mayme L. Bandau, of Portsmouth.  She is the daughter of George and Mary (Stoll) Bandau.  George Bandau was for ten years a minister of the United Brethren church until failing health compelled him to abandon that work for less strenuous labor in the commercial world.  His wife died June 15, 1909.  Dr. and Mrs. Slagle's union has been blessed with five children - Marian M., William L., Marie L., Ethelyne L. and George W. C.  The two eldest are of an age to attend school.  The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and are conspicuous in all its work.
     Dr. Slagle
enjoys fraternal relations with the Knights of Pythias in Centerville, Ohio, and is also a member of several societies that look to the advancement of his profession, belonging to the Montgomery County Medical Society, the Ohio State Medical Society, the Mississippi Valley Medical Association, and the American Medical Association.  In the summer of 1902 he added to his professional efficiency by a post-graduate course in the New York Post Graduate Medical school and New York Lying-In Hospital.  In the yeas that he has practiced in Centerville he made his a reputation for discrimination and good judgment in the diagnosis of cases and the careful and conscientious care for patients.  He is in consequence held in high regard and deservedly so.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 504
 

AARON E. SLOUGH, a successful farmer of Miami township, Montgomery county, has the reputation of being one of the best tobacco raisers in his county.  He lives upon and works the land of Mrs. John Treon, of Miamisburg, which he has advanced to a high degree of productiveness.  He was born May 31, 1854, the son of Christopher and Susan (Swar) Slough.  The former, who has been dead four years, was born and reared in Springfield, Ohio, his parents having come to this state from Pennsylvania.  Following in his fatherís footsteps he took up the work of a farmer, in which he was very successful, and when he came to this county he became one of its most respected agriculturists.  Our subject is a descendant of Colonel Mathias Slough, who was the first colonel appointed by General Washington when he became commander-in-chief of the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War.
     Aaron E. Slough was reared at home under the guidance of wise parents and received his education in the common schools here so that Miami township can claim full credit for the lessons taught and experiences gained which made possible his advancement in his line of work.  On the 15th of January, 1876, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Slough and Miss Catherine G. Mount, the daughter of John and Hannah (Vandever) Mount, who were very prominent in farming circles in this county.  For only a little over nine years were the couple permitted to traverse together lifeís road, for Mrs. Slough was taken from this world Oct. 31, 1885.  She had borne a family of five children, four of whom are living useful lives.  They were:  May, the wife of Clayton Small and the mother of Delphine and Nellie; Susie, the wife of Milton West and the mother of two daughters, Helen G. and Grace; Emma, who married J. M. Robinson; Bert E., deceased; and Walter Roy, who married Miss C. Eckhart, who has borne to him a son, Bert.
     Although so much of his time is given to the cares of the farm, Mr. Slough still finds hours to spend in the company of his fraternal brothers of the Knights of Pythias, to whom he is ever most loyal and in whose welfare he is ever most interested.  His allegiance in religious matters is given to the Presbyterian church, and he takes an active part in all its affairs.  He is the owner of a bible which has been in the Slough family for two hundred and fifty years.  Many are the friends he ahs made in good principles.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 762

  GRANT STONER

Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 35

  JOHN JACOB SWARTSEL, as well known and prosperous agriculturist residing on section 28, Jackson twp., is numbered among the worthy native sons of Montgomery county.  His birth occurred in Jackson township on the 21st of September, 1843, his parents being Joshua and Catherine (Miller) Swartsel, who were residents of that township.  Our subject has been connected with farming pursuits throughout his entire business career and has met with a creditable and gratifying measure of success in his undertakings by reason of his well directed industry and capable management.  He is a most public spirited citizen whose aid and influence can ever be counted upon to further any movement instituted to promote the general welfare and was instrumental in the organization of the telephone company, the creamery and farmers' institutes, as well as various other interests which have contributed to the material advancement and upbuilding of his native county.
     On the 3rd of November, 1863, Mr. Swartsel was united in marriage to Miss Missouri Miller, by whom he has three children: Etha who married Frank Stump and lives in Farmersville; Maud, who married Elijah Miller and resides in Dayton; and Germanus, deceased.  Mr. Swartsel is widely and favorably known throughout the county in which his entire life has been passed and in his home community is recognized as a man of excellent executive ability and keen discrimination, whose opinions are regarded as authority upon many matters of public concern.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 825

John W. Stoddard
JOHN W. STODDARD

Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 20

  ORIEN P. SWARTZEL, who is a teacher in the schools of district No. 11 A, Harrison township, and the owner of seven acres of land on the Frederick pike, was born Oct. 5,  1851, in Sunbury, near Germantown, Ohio, and is the son of Abraham and Margaret (Craig) Swartzel.  The paternal grandfather came from Saxony, Germany, and located in this county, where he was among the early settlers.  The father was born in Montgomery county, and after he had reached man's estate removed to German township, this county.  His interests were those of a farmer and he cultivated with creditable success a tract of seventy acres of good land.  Six children were born to him, of whom our subject was the third, the two older being William and James.
     Orien P. Swartzel
received his introduction into the field of learning in the schools of Preble county.  Graduating from these, he went to the college at Lebanon, Ohio, pursuing courses there through 1870, 1871, 1872 and 1873.  In the last year he received his well earned degree.  After leaving college he took up teaching and to this profession has devoted all his time and energy since, during a period of thirty-seven years.  The schools of both Preble and Montgomery counties have profited by his devotion to his profession, and it is hoped that he will not soon carry his labors to other fields.
     In May, 1877 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Swartzel to Miss Hattie Feerer, daughter of Jacob and Nancy (Ward) Feerer.  Only one child, Guy D., has been born to the couple.  He was graduated from Otterbein University, and is a young man of fine ability, who is following in the footsteps of his father.  The family give their support to the Methodist church and in their daily lives upholds it teachings.
     Mr. Swartzel is an active member of the Vandalia Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is regular in attendance at its meetings.  He also takes an efficient interest in the social and philanthropic work of the society and is ever eager to promote the welfare of his fraternal brothers.  He has done a great deal in raising the standard of the schools of Montgomery county, and of the professional services he has rendered the community the people are duly appreciative.  His efforts are met with good-will and encouragement, and it is the universally expressed wish that the schools may continued to profit by his guidance.  The small farm which Mr. Swartzel may sometimes be seen cultivating himself during leisure hours.  Mr. Swartzel may sometimes be seen cultivating himself during leisure hours, affords him a pleasant relaxation from the duties of the school room.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 515

NOTES:

 


 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights